Battery powered airbrush

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Has anyone come across or used one of these battery powered airbrushes. There seem to be a few for sale although they are all pretty cheap and none of the big manufacturers seem to make them. There are a few videos on YouTube. THIS is the kind of thing I'm on about. HERE is a video.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
JIm,
looks interesting, useful for those small jobs that you can't be bothered to fire up your mains compressor.
They seem to say 1-2 hours use in normal conditions............... What I have found, with cheap rechargeable tools is that the batteries have a limited number of recharges, and performance falls off pretty quickly, also they don't hold their charge very well, you can charge them fully, then, even though you haven't used it, it'll go flat.
Still, might be worth a punt!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would think the battery will make the brush heavier to use though. This will make it more a spray gun than a brush and subtle work will be more difficult.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I can't see the benefit for myself. In some situations it may be useful though. You have to wonder why none of the main manufacturers make one. Seems very cheap so quality can't be good. The guy in the video seemed to get nice results.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
dont see the benefit..................what would it save?.....not time cos you still got to clean it.............modellers tend to paint in front of an extractor so mobility isnt an issue for us........could see a little benefit if you were doing detail work on say, a custom car or bike

D

Deleted member 5496

Bit of a nuisance when the battery starts to run down during a session.

Just wonder about reliability of pressure. My toothbrush when charged near removes your teeth but soon reduces in speed.

Pressure must change in this case whereas a compressor electric mains is constant.

Laurie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for the link Steve. Interesting thoughts from you all. The conclusion of the video flagged up by Steve is what you'd expect. The cheap one was a waste of money and the more expensive Spray Gunner one from USA at least works well.
Jim

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i suppose they might be of value if say, you are just starting out and dont want to go to the expense of buying a compressor.......or perhaps for someone who dosnt want the noise of a compressor running

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Must say that was well filmed and the close up shot were good.
Agree with Dave about the battery life on the cheap ones, at work if you stupidly bought a cheaper replacement battery for a tool it wasn't long before it was useless.
Was he spraying ink, as there was no tip drying, the other thing is of course seals, can't imagine them being the best of lasting very long in some cleaning fluids.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm definitely interested in this, I never realised they could be portable.

The US one in Steve's video seems the best bet for me, but can't find one in the UK. Anyone have any suggestions/links - say £60 or less (the US one from the US is £20 p&p - meh)?

First Name
Stanimir
Hi Bobby,

I think that this is the same as the american one, for 61£: Link to Amazon . I just pulled the trigger and bought one - should be with me in about 11 days. This is going to be my first paintbrush and I hope it will be good enough for a complete beginner.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Bobby,

I think that this is the same as the american one, for 61£: Link to Amazon . I just pulled the trigger and bought one - should be with me in about 11 days. This is going to be my first paintbrush and I hope it will be good enough for a complete beginner.
Interesting, looked at your link and part way through the description it mentions pure milk, wow it even makes milkshakes. Will be interesting to see how you find it, don't airbrush much anymore due to health but maybe it's the future for hobbies etc.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've since watched the video again and posted, he has mentioned " I now have Bernard’s adaptors and can use all my Iwata airbrushes on the cordless compressors "

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Bobby,

A review when you've got it will be most welcome.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Been getting an advert for these on faceache, from a company called 'neatandhandy.com' at the moment, they're offering an option including a 'spare battery' coming in at under £60, giving a 1 hour 'run time'. Looks to be an American product (probably made in China)
So I came in to find out if they're any good ;)
Edited to correct the company.
They also do an 'optivisor' thing, but it looks like the one that I got from eBay at about a quarter of the price.

Last edited: