Battle of Coral Sea Yorktown CV-5

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Dear All
BIG announcement today...Christmas arrived early today thanks to my wife... (well here in Belgium we have St Nicolas on the 6th...still early).
I received via mail YORKTOWN CV-5 and l have decided to represent in a diorama the moment after the Yorktown was hit by a bomb an nearly hit by 2 others.
so this is the main event
"At 11:27, Yorktown was hit in the center of her flight deck by a single 250 kg (550 lb), semi-armour-piercing bomb which penetrated four decks before exploding, causing severe structural damage to an aviation storage room and killing or seriously wounding 66 men. Up to 12 near misses damaged Yorktown's hull below the waterline"
the Diorama will focus on around 1400 hours during Recovery, reassessment and retreat phase.
I have found a lot of pictures and even the after action report of the main event.
I would like also mention that the work of the damage control teams on Yorktown was FANTASTIC. One man received (unfortunately postumosly) the MoH Lt. Milton Ernest Ricketts
h95297.jpg
here you will find also the 2 appendix of the Main hit and near miss
DIRECT HIT.jpgNEAR MISS.jpg

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Here you will be able to in details what and where it all happened
the near miss on the port side made the HUUUGE oil leaks that "followed" Yorktown for many miles.
The main hit was on the lower decks and a massive fire was being controlled (this will be also part of the diorama on lower decks)
YorktownCS_Damage.pngBergeron-NH-ND-19 2.jpgBergeron-NH-ND-19 3.jpg

And here pictures from the inside of the carrier
Yorktown-damage-belowdecks.jpg
Yorktown-entry-hole.jpg
and the hole made by the bomb from below hangar deck looking at the ceiling

Last edited:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Here is the model from Merit Model.. Fantastic kit... there are some minor issues that will be easily corrected with some filing and love.. l also bought figures (MY GOD they are tiny) and some rigging stuff....
there are also TONS of after market box and items that l need to buy and it will take some time before l begin
20201204_102318.jpg

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Greg
A great project. A few years ago I built a 1/700 scale USS Yorktown which is over 30cm long so this will be a big model. Looking forward to it.
Jim

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Looks like a very interesting project Greg. Good luck, I’ll be following....
Hi Greg
A great project. A few years ago I built a 1/700 scale USS Yorktown which is over 30cm long so this will be a big model. Looking forward to it.
Jim
I will keep you updated every week and little by little it will start

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That's the start of the bling and the air group there then Greg. Anticipation duly heightened!

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
I stil have to buy loads of aftermarket stuff...but l'm really looking forward for this build l'm looking at probably 50 pictures that will be the main source of inspiration...so stay tuned... :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling5: :smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If your other work is anything to go by this will be superb Greg.

I'll grab a seat before the Rabble turn up in force.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
If your other work is anything to go by this will be superb Greg.

I'll grab a seat before the Rabble turn up in force.
Too late JR I'm here...and Matron is right behind me so mind your manners :tongue-out3:
Me too. Really looking forward to this project Greg. Hopefully you will be able to start soon.
John please be my guest... :smiling:
Rick thank you for putting some order... LOOOOOOOL
Steven There are a LOOOOOOT thing that i need before i start... plus i will start the mini diorama of Dak to ASAP...

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Dear all....so it begins..l finally recieved all the goodies that will be needed for the diorama...l started by filing the hull since the panels are way to big and thick...l will also do some "tin-canning" technique....boy this ship it's huuuuge...
I prepared already the sea :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2:20210803_200324.jpg20210803_200348.jpg20210803_200407.jpg20210803_191811.jpg20210803_191814.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well Greg, i'm expecting only the best after the Dak To Dio..... I'm not going to ask how much all that lot cost..... ;) :surprised:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GREG Lookin forward to another floaty thing on here an i'll be following front seat please with J/R an Rick an all the rabble lol
chris