Battle of DAK TO. Hill 875

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Dear all,
As you know me I always want to prepare myself and you to my next project...
So this one will be the infamous Battle of Dak to and in particular the phase III on hill 875.
I will portray part of a platoon of 173rd AIRBORNE

At 09:43 on 19 November, the three companies (330 men) of 2/503rd moved into jumpoff positions from which to assault Hill 875. Companies C and D moved up the slope followed by two platoons of Company A in the classic "two up one back" formation utilized since World War I. The Weapons Platoon of Company A remained behind at the bottom of the hill to cut out a landing zone. Instead of a frontal assault with massed troops, the unit would have been better served by advancing small teams to envelop possible PAVN positions and then calling in air and artillery support.

At 10:30, as the Americans moved to within 300 meters of the crest, PAVN machine gunners opened fire on the advancing paratroopers. Then B-40 rockets and 57mm recoilless rifle fire were unleashed upon them. The paratroopers attempted to continue the advance, but the PAVN, well concealed in interconnected bunkers and trenches, opened fire with small arms and grenades. The American advance was halted and the men went to ground, finding whatever cover they could. At 14:30 PAVN troops hidden at the bottom of the hill launched a massed assault on Company A. Unknown to the Americans, they had walked into a carefully prepared ambush by the 2nd Battalion of the 174th Regiment.

The men of Company A retreated up the slope, lest they be cut off from their comrades and annihilated. They were closely followed by the PAVN. Private First Class Carlos Lozada held the rear guard position for Company A with his M60 machine gun. As the PAVN advanced, Lozada mowed them down and refused to retreat until he was shot dead. For his actions that day, Lozada was awarded a posthumous Medal of Honor. Soon, U.S. air strikes and artillery fire were being called in, but they had little effect on the battle because of the dense foliage on the hillside. Resupply became a necessity because of high ammunition expenditures and lack of water, but it was also an impossibility. Six UH-1 helicopters were shot down or badly damaged that afternoon trying to get to 2/503rd.

800px-Dak_To_Phase_3.jpg800px-Hill_875_Vietnam.jpg

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
The diorama will be infantry and broken trees only...
I will try to represent the squad of PFC Carlos Lozada
Here is the citation for his MoH
The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to:

LOZADA, CARLOS JAMES

Rank and organization:Private First Class, U.S. Army, Company A, 2d Battalion, 503d Infantry, 173d Airborne Brigade.Place and date: Dak To, Republic of Vietnam, November 20, 1967.Entered service at: New York, N.Y.Born: September 6, 1946, Caguas, Puerto Rico.Citation:For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Pfc. Lozada, U.S. Army, distinguished himself at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in the battle of Dak To. While serving as a machine gunner with 1st platoon, Company A, Pfc. Lozada was part of a 4-man early warning outpost, located 35 meters from his company's lines. At 1400 hours a North Vietnamese Army company rapidly approached the outpost along a well-defined trail. Pfc. Lozada alerted his comrades and commenced firing at the enemy who were within 10 meters of the outpost. His heavy and accurate machinegun fire killed at least 20 North Vietnamese soldiers and completely disrupted their initial attack. Pfc. Lozada remained in an exposed position and continued to pour deadly fire upon the enemy despite the urgent pleas of his comrades to withdraw. The enemy continued their assault, attempting to envelop the outpost. At the same time enemy forces launched a heavy attack on the forward west flank of Company A with the intent to cut them off from their battalion. Company A was given the order to withdraw. Pfc. Lozada apparently realized that if he abandoned his position there would be nothing to hold back the surging North Vietnamese soldiers and that the entire company withdrawal would be jeopardized. He called for his comrades to move back and that he would stay and provide cover for them. He made this decision realizing that the enemy was converging on 3 sides of his position and only meters away, and a delay in withdrawal meant almost certain death. Pfc. Lozada continued to deliver a heavy, accurate volume of suppressive fire against the enemy until he was mortally wounded and had to be carried during the withdrawal. His heroic deed served as an example and an inspiration to his comrades throughout the ensuing 4-day battle. Pfc. Lozada's actions are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army
284931.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Gregory

Very much looking forward to this.

ATB

Andrew

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Gregory

Very much looking forward to this.

ATB

Andrew
Thanks it's gonna be intersting and fun
Hi Greg
A great idea and an interesting background story. I look forward to it.

Not thousands of leaves then :tongue-out3:
Jim
No indeed no thousands of leaves only hundreds
Makes my head spin Greg! Another great project.
yep indeed and this one will be heavy wethered and battle fatigued..

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Greg. I hope all is well. I will grab a seat front and centre for this one. Looking forward to seeing this one. I hope you start it soon

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Dear all and soooo it begins...
The diorama will be divided in 3 sections.
I) On the left it will be the position that was hold by Sgt J.Kelly, Pfc C. Lozada and Pvt J.Steer.
II) ln the center and the last stand of Cpt. M. Kiley and his command section and wounded
III) On the right sad the reinforcments led by Lt. Matt Harrison and his men..
Sgt. Kelly Pvt. Steer(will loose his right arm) and Lt.Harridon will survive the battle all the others Cpt.Kiley his command section, some men of Lt. Harrison and Pfc C. Lozada (MoH) will die....
20210105_161649.jpg20210105_164452.jpg

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in Greg.
Appreciate the history you post to do with these dioramas, as its a real battle it give so much more meaning, thank you.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
I'm in Greg.
Appreciate the history you post to do with these dioramas, as its a real battle it give so much more meaning, thank you.
This is what l'm trying to do with my dioramas...represent in 3D a moment in time with a tiny winy artistical interpretation....

Reactions: JR