Battle of Hastings 1066 by MJ Miniatures

R

Resinman

When I bought this I hadn't realised just what a substantial lump of sculpted resin this would be (can be used as a lethal weapon in case of emergency) - but what a beautiful bust it is! It went together extremely well although being my usual clumsy self I broke the top of the staff of the standard, necessitating reattachment and a collar of Magic Sculp to reinforce it with. THEN I lost a part to the dreaded carpet monster (the end of his belt hanging down at his waist) which I refashioned from more Magic Sculp (not unhappy with the result). Attaching the shield straps on his left shoulder and right waist made me curse quite a bit but I got there in the end.

I also discovered that Vallejo Matt Varnish isn't very matt at all, so any suggestions for a true matt varnish would be appreciated. Other than that it was an absolute blast making this one.

One day I'll learn to take some decent photos... =)

IMG_20180725_095433732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180725_095451881.jpg

IMG_20180725_095517078.jpgIMG_20180725_095632281_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180725_095720328_HDR.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Great result. Really eye catching. Best Matt varnish I have come across is Testors Dullcote. I use the rattle can although it does come in a bottle.
Jim

R

Resinman

Hi Simon
Great result. Really eye catching. Best Matt varnish I have come across is Testors Dullcote. I use the rattle can although it does come in a bottle.
Jim

I'd forgotten about Testors Dullcote - I've seen it mentioned numerous times but never really taken any notice (in one ear and out the other, I'm afraid... ). Cheers for that!

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Simon

A superb result, beautifully coloured.

I use Vallejo Matt Varnish as a satin - as you've discovered, it isn't matt at all. A good brushable matt is Daler Rowney Soluble Acrylic Matt Varnish.

R

Resinman

Hi Simon

A superb result, beautifully coloured.

I use Vallejo Matt Varnish as a satin - as you've discovered, it isn't matt at all. A good brushable matt is Daler Rowney Soluble Acrylic Matt Varnish.

Thank you Peter - I'll investigate that varnish as well. It currently looks as if he's wearing a silk shirt, which I don't think has ever been standard issue battle dress... =)