Battleship grey ( airbrush )

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I'm starting to think of spraying my firsgvlight coats of colour on my Hms Rodney 1/700
I use Acrylic paints Vallejo and model air mainly with tamiya from time to time.
Does anyone know the best closest match to No 507 admiralty grey ??
I think it's dark sea grey 71.041 but I'm not sure so advice and help greatfully appreciated

Regards

Robert

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have the colour coat paints and a Vallejo model Colorado paint chip book. That's the actual paints hand painted on the page and not a colour litho.
Anyway. The closest I could get things, (in daylight balanced light) are these:
AP507a Vallejo model Color field blue #964
AP507b. Vallejo French mirage blue #900
AP507c Vallejo green grey #971

In the scale you are doing, you might want to lighten them a bit. Also the Vallejo green grey might need a tiny bit of white and a dot of blue.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks Ian ( I have 964 and I have white in Color and model air so I'll do some experimenting.
By the way I do like your hood website ref as it spoke highly on errors of " guesstimation of colour ref from b/w photos etc
Glad we have a good ref back up

Thanks

Robert

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If and its a very large IF I ever build another Battleship I will most likely go for the Vallejo as well. As much as I like the Colour coats paint, up to four weeks delivery is naff. But what can you do when you have started to paint it!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
If and its a very large IF I ever build another Battleship I will most likely go for the Vallejo as well. As much as I like the Colour coats paint, up to four weeks delivery is naff. But what can you do when you have started to paint it!

Wel Ian the reason I went to Vallejo and model colour is I find they have a lot of varying colours and they mix well with water or Vallejo thinners. I was finding buying a lot of other paints no matter what you clean the a/b with they seemed to get clogged and even deep cleans would weaken the seals ( in my opinion ) I have very few problems if any now.
I have had more expensive A/b in the past so maybe I should just stick to John at Scale Model Shop cheaper A/b offers

Regards

Robert

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use Vallejo most of the time but am a bit CDO (like ODC just in the right order :smiling: ) When it comes to boats and aircraft.
A word of warning about thinning them with water though Robert. It makes the paint very soft at times and it can flake and scratch very easy. Also it is more acceptable to finger prints. By using water you are diluting the paint. which makes it weaker. Using thinners you are thinning the paint by adding the same base as the paint just thin and with no pigment.....

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I use Vallejo most of the time but am a bit CDO (like ODC just in the right order :smiling3: ) When it comes to boats and aircraft.
A word of warning about thinning them with water though Robert. It makes the paint very soft at times and it can flake and scratch very easy. Also it is more acceptable to finger prints. By using water you are diluting the paint. which makes it weaker. Using thinners you are thinning the paint by adding the same base as the paint just thin and with no pigment.....

I agree with your comment Ian I use Vallejo thinners 2 drops in cup to 10 drops Paint ( l may use a little extra drop on model colour as find that thicker than model air.
I clean the a / b with my own make on a/b cleaner then rinse brush with water.
I know I said I dilute with water but at a push only add a drop of boiled water but very rarely.
I know the fingerprint hassle does my nut in especially even leaving for a couple of days after klear coating.I use gloves when ever I can
I'm learning all the time and now try to polish and clean my models best I can before final klear/ Matt / dull coats.