Battlestar Galactica Viper MkII

B

beav1013

Here's my viper mk II also in progress. I had this one almost done, was on the decals when it all went to hell. I painted on the stripes, as the kit has decals specifically for painting stripes. when i put those decals on, you could hardly see them. so i sanded them off and cut out the decals from the other stripe decals to get the wing emblems. these decals were horrendous. they split, didn't level out on the surface and the red didn't match a normal red paint color.

i've since sanded these second decals off the wings and repainted that portion of the stripes. the wings are a little messed up now and need major attention to be fixed. i needed to set it aside before seeing if it could really fly, so i started the slave I.

i'll come back to this in a little bit, still bitter about it.

here's what i "had" done at one point. if anyone ever does this model, be extremely careful with the decals. the cockpit decals were also terrible. i got a new set from the model company, i'm thinking of doubling up the top wing decals this time, hopefully it comes out.

View attachment 31649

View attachment 31650

View attachment 31651

View attachment 31652

View attachment 31653

View attachment 31654

View attachment 31655

DSCN2891.jpg

DSCN2896.jpg

DSCN2906.jpg

DSCN2908.jpg

DSCN2892.jpg

DSCN2889.jpg

DSCN2894.jpg

First Name
Dave
I'm a big fan of both series.Which manufacturer makes this kit and do they do a Cylon raider?.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It looks good, shame about the decals. It's a common problem which I have read often on various web sites. Its a pity that some thing so simple as a decal can put the mockers on an other wise great little kit.

Ian M

B

beav1013

dave, it's a moebius kit. they do have a raider on their website but i haven't seen it online as being available yet. this one is in 1/32 scale so i'm assuming the raider will be the same. they also have the viper mk VII and the galactica itself. i got that one a couple weeks ago, now i'm extremely skeptical about it with the decals...

B

beav1013

ian, i can't tell you how frustrated i was with the decals. i really almost trashed the whole thing.

N

noble

I love the viper used to have the older version and have been thinking about buying another, love the cockpit and pilot shame about the decals though.

scott

B

beav1013

thanks scott. i was planning on heavily weathering it based on some screen shots of the show. hopefully once i get back into it, the weathering will hide the bad spots.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That Viper looks quality - it is a real shame about the decals as this was (and hopefully still will) turn into a fantastic model.

Like Scott I built the old Monogram Viper 1 when I was a kid (I think it fired missiles?) anyhoo, it is a great subject and I really hope you get the decals sorted.

All the very best and fingers crossed.

Paul