BBC are filming War of the Worlds for Christmas viewing 2018

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Still very interested, keep me posted. Thanks, Rick H.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I thought it was ok. Better than watching some of the other 'normal' rubbish on the tv

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I thought the period setting and effects were pretty good, but the script, characterisation, and story were very weak. Too much twenty first century sensibility coming out of the mouths of Edwardian era people...the battle on the beach was excellent though.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I watched the first episode when it was on BBC last year, and I think the second as well, but skipped the last because I just CBAd with it. Could have been really good, but wasn’t.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL when an what cha was this on ? as i dint see it
chris

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Now yer talkin'....nothing like a good old Hollywood Classic!! :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Now yer talkin'....nothing like a good old Hollywood Classic!! :thumb2:
YEA Rick i think this film is spot on for war of the worlds as i dint really rate the new one with tom cruise in it as you dint see much of the ole martin's did you
chris

First Name
Noel
Guys, all the movie and TV versions of WOTW deviated too much from the H.G.Wells novel. The Beeb at least placed it in period (sort of) but did not really evoke the attitudes of empire at that time, and too many modern ideals filtered into the script making it unrealistic to me. The movie versions as sci fi films in their own right were ok, but the periods they were set in was all wrong. It really is a crying shame that Spielberg did not do his movie 'in period' as I think that he missed a trick here. It would be interesting if Peter Jackson who did Lord of the Rings, Hobbit and the King Kong remake would do with the original story and the modern book Massacre of Mankind that was written to continue on from the original Wells book and was approved by the H G Wells estate trust I believe.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Orson Wells probably got closest to the feel, if not the period......
No-one will fund a ”proper” remake because the largest audience (for English language films) is in America, and that will have to be factored in to the storyline to maximise box office returns. That will immediately take the film out of it’s Southern Home Counties setting.
Likewise, the Beeb had to cater for “modern “ sentiments and ideals rather than reflect accurate Edwardian attitudes because the complaints from those who do not know the source material would have been very vocal and impacted badly on its reputation.
Best bet for accuracy to source is probably a well performed audio book.....using your own imagination for the effects. You could even do some modelling while you listen ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
.......reading about another T.V. let down, it's just yet another reason I'm glad me and the bride haven't watched the 'Box' in years....

Yours,
Wee Chatan Tork esq.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
It was majorly dissapointing, it didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. I actually enjoyed the Cruise film as a modern take from Joe Bloggs perspective.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The movie versions as sci fi films in their own right were ok, but the periods they were set in was all wrong.
It does make sense to set it in the present day, though: that’s what Wells did too, after all. Updating it in that way makes it a lot easier for viewers to relate to it than if you’ve got late–19th-century people being the focus of the story, even if they’re not behaving as they realistically would/should.

Ron mate, sometimes things are worth watching....Chernobyl comes to mind. Utterly fantastic TV !
Mr. Robot is probably the best TV show I’ve seen in recent years. Well, that and Better Call Saul. Or if you want science-fiction and realism, try The Expanse.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron mate, sometimes things are worth watching....Chernobyl comes to mind. Utterly fantastic TV !

I'm sure there are Tim, but I've had a belly full in my life time of violence, brutality, corruption and disasters etc., mostly man made, to have the need to watch it all again, and sometimes glorified in slow motion. All from my favorite arm chair.....

Don't get me wrong, I used to love things on the t.v., but now it seems the more violence and misery is shown, the better the viewing figures will be.

No thanks. I'll stick to easy listening, chatting, doing 'things', and generally putting my time to better use. Sorry, but the plant pot stays where the television used to be.

Last edited: