Bedford Commercial C8 Quad: SKP models.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
An alternative title could have been: Why is it the more expensive resin kits get the worse the quality? More about that later.
DSC_1137.JPG
I have had this in the stash for quite a while and whilst looking over the stash for inspiration, this was the only one that really stood out and shouted "Pick Me ! Pick Me!" So a quick look told me I might actually have the paint for this one, I opened the instructions and had a look at the parts.DSC_1138.JPG
Inside the very solid box was the main body and three baggies stopped full of parts. The Body as can be seen is going to be fun, cutting all the openings.
One thing of note that the frame around the wind screen is way to thin. Paper thin actually and the center upright is already in need of repair/replacement! Grr.
Also the main floor pan was broken in two where the lower floor steps up to the rear part. It was snapped at the angle. It is glued and setting up I just hope that it can hold with out having to reinforce it...
DSC_1139.JPG
Generally the detail is good, if a little soft in places. The lower 'quarterlight' on the right was a pig to cut out and I ended up cutting the center upright out as it will be easier to replace than to cut out two windows. There are a few bubbles here and there. one in the very thin skin on the door. So is it a filler job or a bullet hole ? lol-
Now I'm no stranger to resin kits and conversions but I cant help but notice that some of those kits that are 'big name' the makers are riding on their name a lot more than the smaller independant makers. It seems to me that the independents put a lot more care into their work than the big names, I cant recall having had a garage shop casting that has been soft in detail, air bubbles and HUGE casting blocks. ( I am saving all the trimmings and will weigh then after and see how much it weighs contra the actual kit...)
OK I have made a start, and this will take a while as I still have a ton of things to do 'In real life'.
Laters.

Last edited:
P

Polux

Take your time Ian...anyway I will be watching, looks an interesting build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been a really grey and boring day today, so after half an hour splitting firewood, thought better of it and came back in the warm...
I managed to get the chassis parts cut and cleaned yesterday and got the sticky stuff out.

DSC_1143.JPGDSC_1144.JPG

A slight disaster with the cab. The windscreen surround as I think I mentioned earlier was paper thin in places and due to the handling of the cab whilst cutting out the other openings, it sort of disintegrated! Oh poop! Also the roof cracked between the windscreen and the hatch in the roof. AND the quarter post at the top. The cracks in the roof not that big an issue. The Windscreen frame a whole other kettle of fish. No way out of that other than to cut the rest out and make a whole new frame.
Looks a bit rough but I should be able to filler my way out of that.
DSC_1145.JPG
We will have to wait and see.
It seems that Me and Windows/canopies on resin kits are not very good friends. (refers to the Fairey Gannet on which not one of the tree canopies in the kit fit!).

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looks like a handful Ian:flushed: Hope you manage to get the better of it!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps. Just need to reduce the width of the white plastic by about half....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is that chassis bent or does it only look that way in the photos?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It's a tiny bit but it is quite flexible. Also it is only resting on the rear axle, so it looks worse than it really is.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Ian,

are these any use?

Morris quad-1.JPGMorris quad-2.JPGMorris quad-3.JPGMorris quad-4.JPGMorris quad-5.JPGMorris quad-6.JPGMorris quad-7.JPGMorris quad-8.JPGMorris quad-9.JPGMorris quad-10.JPGMorris quad-11.JPGMorris quad-12.JPGMorris quad-13.JPGMorris quad-14.JPG
if you need any more I have over 100 shots of other vehicles taken at rallies

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Si, I do have quite a few myself. I note that this is a later model possibly a mkII late, The one I have is a mkI. I think. lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then still plugging away, between stints outside splitting firewood. Much warmer in the hobby-room!
DSC_1154.JPG
Wheels trimmed and sanded, now primed and ready for the next bit.
DSC_1155.JPG
And the floor pan broke again! This time it will get fitted in two parts and hopefully stay in one piece.
DSC_1156.JPG
The main chassis painted. Still a few bits to go on but after the body is zipped up.
DSC_1157.JPG
Made a new windscreen frame and added some strips to the grill. I was going to cut the cast grill out and replace it with mesh, however as the part where the grill is, is about 1,5cm thick (!) I chose not to.

All I have to do now is make up my mind as to the paint scheme... I'm dangling between a Caunter or Malta rubble......

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ian,
Nice job on the windshield. I for one would like to see the Malta rubble and how you tackle it.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Remember seeing the Maltese cammo on a Valentine...looked great so I’m rooting for that too:smiling4:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
We don't see that many resin kits so this is interesting. Quite a few problems which shouldn't be the case for the likes of SKF Models. I am sure you will sort it. Already looking good. Is there a PE fret included?
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Is there a PE fret included?
There is Jim. Most of it will call for the use of a microscope to fit. LOL The mudguards and bumper are the larger parts, then there are loads of tiny latches for the locker doors....

Well I got the body cobbled together yesterday. The floor pan being snapped in two making it more of a challenge than it needed to be. Not perfect, but it will do.
I have only been able to find one tiny, very grainy photo of a C8 on Malta so I know they where there, as to the mark number and the actual colours and pattern.
It has been written that things that where Green on arrival had the 'stone block' painted on, those that where 'sand' probably Portland colour had the green or sometimes brown 'morter' painted on. All was done by hand and pretty much free design, after guidelines. Some things more freely interpreted than others. This lead to a great variety in the pattern. Every thing from neat and tint block work to squares piled up in rows up and down as well as across. Fortunately the C8 I have seen was more the expected rubble patter.
I have done the Vallentin and it is lurking on here somewhere in the armour section.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Found a larger example of the photo.
camotr10.jpg
The roof vents tell that it had a solid roof and not the canvas one so it looks like I have the right mk. :smiling:
If anyone can shine a light on a unit number...