Bedford QL Portee question

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi - picked up the Italeri (aka Max/Airfix/Revell etc etc) Bedford QL Porteee & 6 pdr cheap in a rummage bin at a military show.

I know its a bit old and the moulds are a bit tired but its something I've been meaning to build for about 40 years.

My question is - what is the rear deck (platform) surface? is it timber or metal? The moulding is smooth with raised rivets/screws.

If it is timber I'd like to give it some wood texture - if it is steel then I'll do the standard
I've looked at just about every photo of
the portee on g**gle and there doesn't seem to be a single one showing the deck. If it is timber I

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
don't understand why this post has got chopped up - with some text missing.

The gist is there so I assume the answer to the question as to whether the portee has a wooden cargo deck or metal plates is "mobody knows"

regards
Mark

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks - will probably just go with the worn/rusted metal floor plates - I've already gone half-blind folding 2mmx1.5mm PE hasps and staples for it - cutting out the floor plates would be going too far!

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Of absolutely no help at all to you but gun-trucks in Vietnam often had wooden planks put in over the metal flat-bed. A little extra protection from mines and helped to bed in the weapon system, usually a quad 50..This was crew choice.
Jon.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
cheers - sorry I didn't answer earlier - been away on hols. Apart from the amount of pin marks and mould lines the fit isn't bad. I've built up the 6pdr first and spent hours with the Eduard PE on the portee parts - just started some assembly on the main event.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mark,

That is a great result. for an old kit she builds up to a great kit with a bit of work.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It looks used, like I’d expect from a vehicle in the North African desert.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Mark.
Looking suitably worn .
John.