Beginner - how to paint aircraft camo with brushes?!

G

Gilly

Hi guys,

I'm about start building my first model plane in about 10 years, an Airfix Spitfire Mk. I that I got for Christmas. I want to spend a lot of time making the model as best I can but I would like some hints/tips about how to tackle the camo scheme with brushes! (Obviously airbrushing is out of the question with being my first build).

I'll be using enamel paints and was wondering whether it would be best to paint the whole model in the brown first and then outline the green pattern freehand with a round brush and then fill it in with a flat brush, or whether there is a technique of masking the camo pattern for better definition? It's only my first build so I'm not expecting amazing results. My main concern is leaving obvious brush stroke marks, so should I thin the paint first, or just apply thin coats directly from the tin?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Gilly

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi Gilly.............. What scale is the Spitfire ???? Can I ask why you've chosen Enamel Paints ???? I know there will be some who may disagree (....that, fortunately is the essence of the forum).......... But I'd be using Acrylic Paints. Tamiya or Valejo. I find they are far easier to work with, with a brush....... As for masking ........ Try some wide masking tape stick it down on a board draw the wavy line then cut along the line with a craft knife and stick the mask down on the plane ... You'll find it easier to cut two parallel lines so you end up with a strip 1/4" - 1/2" wide depending on the scale of the model........ and masking will be far better than freehand as freehand you'll be wandering around and get the proportions all wrong. It's a big learning curve.............. and I'm sure you'll get loads of advice on here.

The main thing is to try to find what works for you .............

Enjoy.

Peter

G

Gilly

Thanks for the reply Peter.

The scale of the model is 1/48. I am using enamel paints because I have had experience with them in the past and it was easy to buy the appropriate Humbrol paints, which I understand aren't the best but I'm sure will suffice for my first model! I have never had any experience of acrylic paints and wasn't aware that (at least in your opinion!) they are easier to use with a brush. So depending on how this model goes I may try them next time. Thanks for the advice about the masking, it sounds like a good technique!

T

tecdes

\ said:
Hi guys, (Obviously airbrushing is out of the question with being my first build).

Gilly
If you want to airbrush Gilly I would airbrush. I airbrushed my first model. Certainly not perfect but it put me on the trail.

If you are going to airbrush your models in future start now. Better to experiment (which it is to begin with experimenting) on your first models than on later ones which will better & better as times goes on. If you start leter your airbrushing is going to behind the standard of the building of the model.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
If you want to airbrush Gilly I would airbrush. I airbrushed my first model. Certainly not perfect but it put me on the trail. If you are going to airbrush your models in future start now. Better to experiment (which it is to begin with experimenting) on your first models than on later ones which will better & better as times goes on. If you start leter your airbrushing is going to behind the standard of the building of the model.

Laurie
I agree. Have a look at my first model, just completed, which was airbrushed.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed/19083-my-first-model.html

But I had to do a lot of airbrushing experimentation on 2 litre clear lemonade bottles before I got the right technique, but feel it was worth it. However, many experienced modellers here use a brush. Fortitude, patience and a bit of swearing gets you there.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hello Gilly.

While I agree you will see fantastic results from the posters here who use air brushes, it's not the be all and end all of model paint work. I am a prolific brush painter. There are more than a few of us here on the forum who are hairy stick users. I use almost exclusively Humbrol enamels out of the tin. I enjoy the brush work, although I do use a basic airbrush occasionally for large coverage purposes. I have yet to master the more subtle aspects of airbrushing.

There is nothing wrong with using a paint brush and enamel paints. Keep the brush clean and soft, regularly dip it in thinners and clean it as you progress to keep it that way. It also helps to keep the paint free from big brush marks. Ensure you mix your paint well. Stir it until there is absolutely no residue in the tin (that gunky stuff). Then shake it. The tins suggest a minute for shaking. I would suggest shake it until your arm aches. Paint in thin coat layers. Trying to increase coverage by slapping on large amounts of enamel paint will end up with streak marks. Stir periodically to keep the paint mixed. Follow the drying times on the tin before re-coating or varnishing.

To paint basic camouflage patterns, such as those on the RAF Spitfire, I use a pencil and outline my pattern on the model. I mask edges between undersides and upper camouflage using masking tape. I then paint the lighter underside first. When that is done I move on to the brown upper colour, filling in the pattern lines. Then the dark green goes on, completing the pattern. The only time I would paint the entire upper surface first brown, would be if I were using an airbrush. You would then have to mask out the brown pattern and spray the remainder in green.

I have a few examples of the Dark Earth/Dark Green RAF schemes in my gallery, all done with brushes.

As for acrylics, they have many advantages over enamels, not least low toxicity and quicker drying times. Laurie for example uses Model Air acrylics on his superb builds, and these come ready mixed for airbrushing; an obvious advantage when compared to mixing enamels with thinners for spraying. It's up to you how you wish to finish your model. There are many tutorials on this forum and on the internet if you want to learn more about methods for finishing your models. If you need any advice ask away as you have done here, people are only too happy to help you.

First Name
Gregg
Hi Gilly,

Just thought I would put my pennyworth in!

Although I used airbrushes in my profession, I use brushes with acrylic paints in my hobby as I find it less time consuming when mixing/cleaning!

I mix my paints on old CD's and brush cleaning is so much quicker between coats etc.

Just my own personal preference.

Gregg

T

tecdes

If I may say so Joe a very informative & nicely written piece.

Laurie

G

Gilly

Thanks for all the replies guys. All have been very helpful and thanks flyjoe180 for addressing all my questions. I'll try some of these techniques and let you know how it goes. I would like to airbrush in future but at the moment, for my first model, its something that I won't really be able to invest in. If i find I enjoy making this model as much as I used to in the past then I will certainly start looking into it.

After searching the internet and finding differing opinions on how to finish the model I do have plenty of questions but I think I might be best asking those nearer the time. I have enough to take in and consider at the moment!

First Name
Adrian
Though I use an airbrush and acrylics I have seen competition class models done in enamels and brush painted, I think as long as you enjoy it you will want to do more and more as you progress, at the end of the day its a hobby that will bring you much joy, in between the odd grey hair moment :smiling3:

Good look with your first model and I'm sure we're all looking forward to pics been posted.

Adrian

C

CDW

I don't use an airbrush and only use acrylic paints (not just branded stuff either, the cheap kiddies stuff and artists acrylic is just as good)

If I'm to do a camo job then I lay out the design over the base colour with a soft pencil then paint to that.

I find a flat natural hair brush to be the best, the synthetic type tend to be the ones I personally find to leave brush lines.

If you paint as though you're colouring in with crayons (ie slight wiggling :smiling3: ) then you'll get a nice even coat if the paints the right consistency (which is trial and error for the most part)

Even with my painting skills falling well behind the quality of some of the members on here I've still been asked what airbrush I use which is sort of a compliment and confidence booster.