Beginner's questions

S

SpitfireMalta

Hi, I have revived a hobby that I used to spent time in my teens, now some 25years ago! I have bought a blackhawk model, initially to build it up quickly with my young children but now it became quit a meticulous job. I have made some mistakes already and need some advise too. So here is a set of questions!

1: My brush painting requires more training and I wish to correct two problems:

i) how to level off a bulge/swell of paint (resulting from drop of accumulated paint during standing.)

ii) Why my brush painting is not very even in the fuselage, especially the flat bottom. It's minutely humpy

2: I made a mistake of trying to fill empty spaces between plastic edge-edge and now I have back the minute line-gap open. I think that I must use a putty, so what do you suggest?

3: I have meticulously worked on the cockpit but once it is cosed in the fusekage and canopy little will be shown:sad: I had the idea to insert a small LED and battery to light it up (perhaps with a small switch too). Can you suggest some forum thread or perhaps website on this, or share your experience?

There's so much to learn and read but these are the current worries!

Thank you

L

Laurie

On LED have a look at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=lighting+for++model+makers&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l2632.R2.TR3.TRC1.A0.H1.Xled+model+.TRS0&_nkw=model+led+lights&_sacat=479

Laurie

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Many of us here made kits when we were children & teenagers, but stopped owing to the arrival of family & work, and have started again after many years' absence. We refer to ourselves as 'returnees'.

For 1 : i) & ii) The bulges and swells you describe are a common fault in all types of painting, including, for example, the spraying of full size cars. These bulges are known as 'runs' or 'nibs'. They are caused by applying too much paint at once. In future, don't put too much paint on the brush, and apply the paint to the model in fairly thin layers, Brush it out with long strokes. Don't try to cover the model with one coat, apply two thin coats, and allow the first one to dry overnight. Goes without saying, you should stir the paint thoroughly and use a good quality brush

For 2 Inspect the gap closely, and carefully try to move the parts apart. If they move, and the gap becomes larger, that means you haven't applied enough glue in the first place.

If the gap is fixed, you need to apply filler during construction, before painting. There are several makes of filler on the market, but a popular choice, which I use is Squadron Green Putty for large & medium gaps, and Mr Surfacer 500 for very small, hairline gaps. Though no doubt other people will post replies with their favourites.

Click on the green banner at the top of this page for a good mail order supplier, you will see the range of fillers available.

If the gap moves or widens, apply some liquid glue

3 I also think that a lot of the work on cockpit detail is wasted, but I can't help you with LED lights

To retrieve your model, I suggest you strip the paint off; fill the gaps, and re-paint. You can strip the paint with oven cleaner spray, scrubbing with a toothbrush, and rinsing with plenty of water. Be careful as the oven cleaner is hazardous. there are a few threads here on stripping paint

zuludog

SMF Supporter
For more on paint stripping look at the thread 'Airfix 1/72 Islander S.O.S' in the Aircraft Under Construction section

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Have a look on YouTube; there are lots of suitable videos. Put 'filling model seams', 'using modelling putty', and 'painting model planes' into the search box. The predictive search feature will give you variations on the themes - away you go!

In the past few years there have been lots of new products becoming available. You could browse through this forum, and get a magazine or two to see what's available