Belgium Power/Telegraph Pole Design 1944(ish)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Trying to find non-concrete (so wood then) power/telegraph pole designs/pictures for ones in Belgium around 1944 time. Need a reference for an upcoming Ardennes dio i'm planning. Seen the Italeri plastic kit ones but not sure what era they are from.

Any ideas guys?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
There's niche and then there's niche.....I'd love to help Alan but I know when I'm beaten. Sorry I can't help.

Hope you get some good feedback.

Andrew

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I will have a dig around and see what I can find, I have a few photos in mind from the Ardennes that I think have poles in them.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
ok done a bit of digging. one or two of the images I thought might have poles in didn't, the damage to the area was bad none were left standing. However, the following might help.
Vehicles of the 99th Division moving through Wirtzfeld en route to Elsenborn.
A towed M5 three-inch gun of the U.S. 7th Armored Division on 23 December 1944 in Vielsalm, Belgium

The one below was posted on twitter by the US Embassy, so it should be ok to show here, mods please delete if I am wrong

1613406997678.png

and finally this is how it can be when the buildings get very close and the street is narrow
1613407129855.png

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave,

In all seriousness that is genuine dedication to the task at hand.

I would not have known where to start. All credit to your perseverance.

Andrew

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
To be honest since moving to Belgium 10 years ago I have done a fair bit of reading on the history of the country, but particularly the Ardennes campaign. I have visited most of the museums in the towns down there and have several good books on the subject so I already had an idea of the images, it was just a matter of running them down on the web. There are some good photos of La Roche en Ardennes post the campaign and I thought they would be a good place to start but the damage to the town center was so bad there is almost nothing left standing.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
To be honest since moving to Belgium 10 years ago I have done a fair bit of reading on the history of the country, but particularly the Ardennes campaign. I have visited most of the museums in the towns down there and have several good books on the subject so I already had an idea of the images, it was just a matter of running them down on the web. There are some good photos of La Roche en Ardennes post the campaign and I thought they would be a good place to start but the damage to the town center was so bad there is almost nothing left standing.
So you have the local knowledge! Now I know where to come if I have a Belgium related question.

Only been there once, nearly 30 years ago now. Stayed in Brussels with an expat family. Visited Ypres too. I liked it so should perhaps make the trip again once the Covid crisis has calmed down.

Well done again for tracking the answer down.

ATB.

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Dave. Gives me food for thought