Belt or Drum

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Oi be fessed roit up when they Essex younguns speaks proper loike….us better be off then, commas on heifer….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Somehow I don’t think the Germans named it after that ;)
Funnily enough Jakko, I’ve been reading up on the roots of my dialect. The word “Gurt” in West Country dialect comes from Anglo Saxon, along with many other phrases, so has the same roots as the German word “gurt”. Seems they have more in common than we thought….

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Funnily enough Jakko, I’ve been reading up on the roots of my dialect. The word “Gurt” in West Country dialect comes from Anglo Saxon, along with many other phrases, so has the same roots as the German word “gurt”. Seems they have more in common than we thought….
I remember being introduced to the word 'gurt' at University by my Bristolian flatmates ("that's gurt lush"). They Remain some of my closest friends, and the word firmly lodged in my vocabulary.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Did they put an L on the end of any word ending in a vowel as well? A mate of mine used to talk about Gorillals and Llamals, for example….

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Seems they have more in common than we thought….
Comparative etymology is always interesting, if you ask me :smiling3: Especially when you find out that similar words that have pretty different meanings are related anyway.