Bending photo etch ?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A bit of advice please. On my 1/48 88mm gun there are PE seats to fit on the carriages. On the fret they are flat - parts 28. In reality the seats are slightly dished. My question is this ...
How can the flat seats be bent to a dish shape? Would annealing help? (I have read up on annealing but don't know whether it is appropriate in this situation or really how to go about it)
P1060180.JPG
Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Jim - you need something with a domed or curved end that you can use to push the curve in

Things like pliers handles, scalpel handles or ideally embossing tools with ball ends like I mentioned in Al’s brolly thread

Push against your cutting mat or other surface with a bit of give rather than a solid surface and gradually work the part into the dished shape by pushing/rolling against it

I don’t bother heating the etch as usually thin enough to shape but if you do heat it be careful not to melt it!

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Hi Jim,

Annealing will soften the metal and make it easier to bend, but I think in this particular case you would be better off not annealing the seat pans. The reason being that you still want some stiffness in the metal to make the dish you’re after.
I’d probably place the part on a cutting mat, and use the end of a paintbrush handle to press round the edge of the seat part and get it to curl up a bit. At 1/48, it shouldn’t take much of a bend to look ok.

Edit: Si beat me to it!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Simon and Alistair
Thanks for such quick and helpful replies. When two experienced and skilled modellers come up with the same advice I feel very happy - boost to my confidence.
Thanks
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Jim,

Si and Bones beat me to it, but if you really want to be accurate, flip the etch over and roll the seat tongue to curve it. This picture gives you an idea of what I mean,

DSC03702 (2).JPG

Don't worry about the back rest. It's the curve in front so you don't slip forward out of the seat.

Prost
Allen

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
id try using some blu tac to push it into.......or is there a plastic part on the sprue that the pe is replacing?.....use that as a 'mould'

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Push it into a soft rubber pad and your thumb which will create the natural curvature. Then grab hold of the front edges and push them towards each other to create the bulge in the middle as pointed out by the irreplaceable Mr Dewire.