Bergepanther question.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Hello campers.

I'm just starting my ICM early (winch-less) Bergepanther build and was hoping to pick your brains.
I'm adding a little detail to the interior but am wondering if the turret drive half way between the engine & transmission would have been in place but redundant, or deleted and replaced with longer props & a centre bearing.

Please don't send answers on a postcard, the puppy will eat them.

Thanks, Dan.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Dan, The PTO for the turret traverse system was left in place to power the winch of the Bergepanther. according to my Ref. Panther in Detail (Culver & Feist) page 127....hope this helps. Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
TAKOM's 2102 Ausf D model instructions show the PTO for turret traverse in place but additional mechanics removed.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dan,
the earlier Bergepanthers were pretty basic conversions, the turret removed & the hole planked over. Most of the tanks were old models sent for repair, and I would think that removing all unnecessary bits for spares, would be carried out as a matter of course. I can't actually recollect seeing a photo of the interior of the early basic Bergepanther & what lay beneath those planks!
Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hello campers.

I'm just starting my ICM early (winch-less) Bergepanther build and was hoping to pick your brains.
I'm adding a little detail to the interior but am wondering if the turret drive half way between the engine & transmission would have been in place but redundant, or deleted and replaced with longer props & a centre bearing.

Please don't send answers on a postcard, the puppy will eat them.

Thanks, Dan.
Logic says the latter mate - working space in any AFV is always at a premium, and the PTO is an expensive 'extra' if redundant. I'm assuming 'battle weary' chassis would have been used for these conversions so, I would think these drives would be re-used!
Steve
Edit: My copy of 'Panthers in Detail' accords with Rick's observation - sorry, although it does seem a waste of resources! :thinking:
Steve

Last edited:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Thank you everyone. I did a bit of reading up and was working on the theory that as a post production conversion, the transfer box would probably be left in place for no other reason than removing it would involve lengthened drive shafts & a centre bearing or a single prop from engine to transmission. I don't think the latter would last long given the torque and potential deflection issues.

Having said all that, I've made such a cack handed, sausage fingered start on the torsion bars that I might just leave the hatch shut with a leaking Maybach engine on the top and pretend it's all been a horrible dream !

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm assuming 'battle weary' chassis would have been used for these conversions so, I would think these drives would be re-used!
Spielberger’s Der Panzer-Kampfwagen Panther und seine Abarten only says that MAN was ordered on 7 May 1943 to deliver ten Bergepanthers without winches but with an improvised roof; Henschel was ordered at the same time to deliver the last 70 vehicles from their current production run as Bergepanthers. Unfortunately, that doesn’t say much about where MAN’s ten tanks actually came from but it kind of implies they were new builds.

In either case, though, I wouldn’t expect the actual power takeoff to have been removed: that would necessitate changes in the drive train, probably installing a longer driveshaft which would not have been available.