Best colour for motorbike engine?

M

Mark P

I have done a couple of Motorcycles now, 1 Revell and 1 Tamiya, both times I have used the colours from the instructions but I have never been completely happy with the look of the engine when finished! What would you say is the best colour to use to make it look as real as possible?

First Name
Dave
Depends on the bike/era.......and what type of paint you're using.

I'd say, humbrol metal coat polished ally and flat ally for enamel. ..............They dry quick, so brush paint them otherwise it will gum up your airbrush, leave to harden/gas out for a couple of hours before polishing up with a cotton bud.

For acrylics, I'd use alclad range of paints.

The above is OK for the older style of motorcycle ie 70s to late 80s. For more recent motorbikes with black engines, I would use black satin paint from humbrol, Alclad, vallejo and any of the other mainstream paint makers.

P.S Welcome to the forum :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That depends on the bike ...... and whether or not you want it to look factory fresh or used / abused. Vallejo 71.062 Aluminium is a good start for a new engine. Although on the Hyabusa I'm building I used Vallejo 71.065 Steel. Although there's not really a spit of difference. Side by side the steel is ever so slightly darker. But whatever you use. give it a matt coat over the top otherwise it's just too damn shiny.

M

Mark P

Its a Ducati 1199 Panigale S engine which I want to look like new. I have all the Tamiya and Revell colours but not one of them looks like a real engine! Ideally I would like it to look like this when finished ;) ;)Ducati_1199_Panigale_engine1.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I would go with Tamiya Titanium Gold and either Tamiya or Vallejo "Nato Black with a satin coat on those parts.

D

Dave1973

Honda use a steel silver

Suzuki use a black

Kawasaki use either black or gunmetal grey for their engines

Yamaha use predominantly silver apart from the R series which is black

Ducati use titanium gold on the desmo four pots, and silver titanium on desmo twin pots.