Best "washes" for over acrylic paints

W

wbk666

What does everyone use?

I've been told elsewhere that if your using acrylic paint then use oil based washes and vice versa

Does this also apply to models that have been coated with Future/Klear?

Also can you make your own washes and how?

apologies if this has been asked elsewhere.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use oil washes for the inside of aircraft direct onto acrylic paint. On the outside I do not use Future but Vallejo varnish on top of which, after it has cured at least 24 hours, I use Flory washes, these are water based clay washes.

D

dubster72

Future / Klear is an acrylic so I treat it as acrylic paint & therefore only use oil or enamel washes over it. I've not tried an acrylic wash over acrylic paint, mainly because I like the extra time that oil paints give you - handy if things aren't going well!

Most washes are 5% paint to 95% thinner, but that can be altered to give the effect you're after. I often add ground pastels for extra ' body '. If it's a light- coloured wash, then talc works just as well as pastels.

Cheers

Patrick

B

Bunkerbarge

The best policy is to use a wash of a different type of paint to the base coat. This minimises the risk of the wash lifting the base paint. Consequently over acrylic base paint oil or enamels make the best washes but water based washes can be used over acrylic or enamel paints.

C

CDW

my own method is to use acrylic paints and then use an artists water colour mix to achieve a wash of the colour I want. quality water colours dispurse into water very well and lay on the cured paint nicely. if I need to blend a little more than just letting two colours mix together on the painted surface then I'll use an oil based wash, as has been said above it gives a little more time and versatility for blending.

just my way of doing things, I'm a bit set in my ways which can be a good thing or cause a few issues depending on what I'm doing :smiling3:

A

andygh

I use oil washes, as everyone else seems to but I also use Lifecolor Tensocrom and Vallejo inks

Never had a problem with washes reacting with the paint but I do give the paint a few days to cure properly