Best way of snipping small detail parts?

First Name
Carl
I have some very thin parts to snip and was wondering what is the best technique to remove them from the sprue without snapping them. Picture attached is an example of a sopwith camel engine part. It looks like a wheel but all those thin legs need snipping away from the main outer diameter sprue.

Attachments

• 1F8DE1B7-5C27-4F48-ADB6-5A3DF6B2EA28.jpeg
    1F8DE1B7-5C27-4F48-ADB6-5A3DF6B2EA28.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 25

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I use a JLC razor saw for all parts removal as it does not need any pressure - very rare that parts will be damaged as a result

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Use the same for something that delicate. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Other types of saw will work as well — a standard modelling razor saw (not the kind of saw that looks like a razorblade but a saw with a thin blade and a reinforced back) works fine too. The main concern is that it should have fine teeth, so you can cut with it in a controlled manner.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I went almost 50 years of modeling w/o one until John Race convinced me the JLC was a necessary addition. Best purchase ever!!!!! PaulE

D

Deleted member 5496

My way Carl is to cut from the sprue all sprue bits still attached.

Lay the little part on a flat surface so that all parts are in contact
with the surface..

Use an American Razor blade to cut using top pressure .
Hardly any pressure is needed as the blade is about the thinnest
you can get & mighty sharp.

Also for cutting Eduard PE from the fret. Cut close no need for
filing remnants of fret.

Laurie

First Name
Carl
Thanks for replies. I will do some eBay/amazon searching to see if I can source any of these as currently a lot of stuff seems to be in short supply with so many people at home

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Carl
The JLC saw, which Simon mentioned, is a great piece of kit. It was Simon who put me onto it and like Paul I feel it is money well spent. I also have some photo etched saw blades which are great for removing fragile parts from the sprue without damage.
Jim

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have some very thin parts to snip and was wondering what is the best technique to remove them from the sprue without snapping them. Picture attached is an example of a sopwith camel engine part. It looks like a wheel but all those thin legs need snipping away from the main outer diameter sprue.
Hi Carl,
A bit late i know,but i use these.........
s-l64.jpg
They`re a bit more expensive than the norm,(about £20 on Ebay).
They are called "Xuron Maxi 2175 " and have unique cutting edges.The 2 jaws overlap when cutting,(known as "Shear Flush"),unlike normal cutters,whose jaws meet each other,creating pressure on the cutting point which can lead to fragile pieces breaking.
I`ve used these for about 2 years now and not had a single breakage,i also have the Razor saw that the guys mention and it is excellent,but for me,these cutters edge it.
HTHs,Cheers,
Andy