Best way to

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I’ve got a couple of small parts with raised lettering on, the letters are to be white on a black background. How do you guys go about tackling things like this? The parts aren’t very big.
1ACD6EE6-C7DA-4CD7-8A1A-5617E6091660.jpeg

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
i would paint black as you have ( enamel ), seal in the black with an ( enamel ) varnish, and then carefully paint the white on top with acrylics. easily wiped off in any area you don't want it, might take a couple of layers.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paint the back ground colour then if you have some cork tile or something like it paint a thin layer and using a stick stuck to the back of the badge press it against the tile.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I would use either Paul’s method, or paint the whole thing gloss white, and when dry, put a layer of black over it and wipe it off before it dries. Hopefully, that should leave the black in the recesses and the white showing where it should.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
If the raised letters have nice flat/level faces this might work.

Paint the whole thing with acrylic white. Then overpaint the whole lot with enamel black. Damp a sheet of paper with enamel thinner and turn the block face down on the damp paper and rub. The black enamel should hopefully come off the letter faces leaving the white acrylic untouched.

I've never tried it but it might work .

Jakko sort of just beat me to it :rolling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Jakko’s method is the way the railway guys used to paint etched brass nameplates. Paint the nameplates the colour of the letters, and let them dry thoroughly. Following that, paint the background colour over it all and wipe the letters clean. If you hold the cloth you are using to wipe the letters tight against a flat surface you will find it more effective at just cleaning the tops of the letters. It is also useful to temporarily stick the plates to a support to make handling easier.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
i would paint black as you have ( enamel ), seal in the black with an ( enamel ) varnish, and then carefully paint the white on top with acrylics. easily wiped off in any area you don't want it, might take a couple of layers.
Are the letters raised enough that you could "dip" them.
Paint the back ground colour then if you have some cork tile or something like it paint a thin layer and using a stick stuck to the back of the badge press it against the tile.
I would use either Paul’s method, or paint the whole thing gloss white, and when dry, put a layer of black over it and wipe it off before it dries. Hopefully, that should leave the black in the recesses and the white showing where it should.
If the raised letters have nice flat/level faces this might work.

Paint the whole thing with acrylic white. Then overpaint the whole lot with enamel black. Damp a sheet of paper with enamel thinner and turn the block face down on the damp paper and rub. The black enamel should hopefully come off the letter faces leaving the white acrylic untouched.

I've never tried it but it might work .

Jakko sort of just beat me to it :rolling:
I'd carefully drybrush the white in. Might take a couple of passes but should work.
Jakko’s method is the way the railway guys used to paint etched brass nameplates. Paint the nameplates the colour of the letters, and let them dry thoroughly. Following that, paint the background colour over it all and wipe the letters clean. If you hold the cloth you are using to wipe the letters tight against a flat surface you will find it more effective at just cleaning the tops of the letters. It is also useful to temporarily stick the plates to a support to make handling easier.
Thanks very much gents , that gives me several methods to try out. Only one is required for the truck so I have practice piece