Between Coats Cleaning

First Name
Gary
Reading lots about what to do when airbrushing between coats. Most of it tends to be offering options depending all all sorts of things. In general terms when airbrushing with either Vallejo Air with just a couple of drops of thinner and maybe a drop of flow improver what is the typical time between coats ? And should the airbrush be cleaned during this time ? Same for a 50/50 Tamiya acrylic ? Although I'll probably use the Vallejo and I don't intend to use a retarder

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
depends on what youre doing
often i paint, switch to just air and gently blow to dry the paint in just a minute or two, then switch back to paint to give a second coat.......not bothered emptying the cup

First Name
Gary
Makes sense Paul. I'll be putting down thin coats so should dry quickly anyway. I'm sure I'll find out by just doing it

D

Deleted member 7181

As with Paul I wouldn't usually clean out between coats as they'll dry really fast anyway. I do keep the top on my paint cup just in case, and always wipe the end of the needle before putting it down. If you've been reading up on airbrushing you'll have heard about "tip dry", Keep a cloth/tissue/sponge/cotton bud soaked in the appropriate thinner for your paint and wipe often.

You won't always get it, especially with the flow aid and the right thinner, but better safe than sorry while you're learning :smiling3:

First Name
Gary
I find the Vallejo Air excellent with a brush. Covers well and is thin enough to allow multi layers with no brush marks so I am looking forward to it with an airbrush. I'll add just a couple of drops of thinner just to be safe

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
About 18 - 20 psi, the higher the psi more air comes out, it's the paint mix, air / paint, that you can control the spray, that and different nozzle size.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I tend to spray at about 18 - 20 psi. If i'm doing Luftwaffe mottling then i'll reduce it to 12 - 15 psi so i can get a finer spray

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes. If you have to higher psi you'll find you'll get more tip-dry and also the paint will spray further over areas, potentially going past your masking. But with lower pressures to get finer lines/spots etc you also have to thin the paint more so you can build up the paint to the required level. sometimes less is more :smiling3:

First Name
Gary
It's quite logical really once it's pointed out. I intend to stick to basics at first and practice the "exotics" on odds and sods until I'm happy. I hear different things about airbrush cleaners like Vallejo and are they essential. I might get some to start and see how I go

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I'm using Vallejo cleaner when doing Model Air, I have a big bottle of it but I've heard good things about Ultimate so will try when I need to restock. I like to try and keep my cleaners and paint compatible ie acrylic and cellulose (Zero) for example.

First Name
Gary
I've been meticulously cleaning my airbrush after spraying even if I return an hour later. Maybe I'm weird but I actually really enjoy the cleaning and it's nice to see the brush clean and shiny. I think it's my old apprentice training of cleaning all the sparks tools at the end of the day kicking in.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
You'll probably hear different but, I give it a clean after each use, between coats if its within 15 minutes not so important any longer and I often leave for a bit, other jobs to do around the house, so I like to clean it and it's ready for next time, mines a H & S Infinty crplus and I can do a full clean in 10 minutes so a quick clean, needle, nozzle and cap etc can be done in minutes so to me its preferable, think I've waffled here but hopefully you'll get the gist.