Bf 109 in the Russian mud (1/48)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys,
I already did 2 Bf109F-kits from ICM in the past (link), although these are cheap kits they can be turned into nice models with a bit of extra work.

I still had this one in the stash, it's the R6 version with canons under the wing...
Box-art :
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_001.jpg

I would like to make a small dio with the model, based on these pictures :
This would be a G2 'white 6' with wing canons in the Russian autumn mud,
I assume this 109 was parked for cover into a bomb-crater which got flooded overnight...

I don't have to worry about the cockpit interior or canopy-masking :thumb2: ...
The bottom engine cowling and spinner-front-disk appears to be yellow, the rest of the spinner is a black&white.
Some nice mottling on the nose...

Sprue-shots :
Same soft sprues as last time, all parts need a bit of cleaning-up...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_004.jpg

Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_005.jpg

Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_006.jpg

This sprue wasn't included in the other ICM kits, a nice set of bombs, 2 external fuel tanks and the R6 wing-canons...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_007.jpg

Clear parts.
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_008.jpg

That's all for now,
Thanks for reading, have fun, stay safe & kind regards!
Steven

Last edited by a moderator:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Steven, That looks like a very interesting topic for a Dio. In looking at the pictures, I'm thinking that the 109 might be parked in a man made revetment. The height from both camera angles seems too uniform in appearance. just a thought.
:smiling2: Rick H.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
... In looking at the pictures, I'm thinking that the 109 might be parked in a man made revetment. The height from both camera angles seems too uniform in appearance. just a thought ...
Thanks Rick!
Yes, you might be right, I can image there would be lots of shovels around too :smiling6: ...

I've put the model together this week, no need for a cockpit or engine :thumb2:...
As before there is some scraping needed and the nose was build up with the engine panels...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_009.jpg

Again I drilled out the solid-molded nose-canon and replaced it with a plastic tube...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_010.jpg

Under the tarp I still need the basic shape of the canopy,
so I glued the clear-parts in place but replaced the box-shaped piece with plastic-card, this way I have an extra spare one for future builds.
Based on the images the radiator-flaps were opened 'full' and the middle-flaps lowered 'minimum'...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_011.jpg

In the picture I noticed that the model has two missing air-intakes,
so I shaped a piece of sprue into a 'suppository' (1), then cut that into fragments (2) and glued them onto the nose (3)...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_012.jpg

The tarp was made from a layer of tissue...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_014.jpg

Then the tissue was soaked in diluted wood-glue and put onto the fuselage, a bit tricky...
I wasn't able to replicate the image exactly because the wet tissue was too fragile to manipulate further, but I think it will work ok...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_015.jpg

Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_016.jpg

Because the kit has these 'soft-plastic' parts the wing-canons were too flexible to work with. (1)
So I've cut them off, drilled out the plastic (2) and glued some steel-rods in place with the same thickness :thumb2:...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_017.jpg

Some separate parts on wooden-sticks for painting...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_018.jpg

This evening I sprayed a coat of black primer, the tarp will be better visible in the end though ...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_019.jpg

Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_020.jpg

Thanks for reading, kind regards & keep safe!
Steven

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steven

Nice start and nice not to have to worry about the inards!

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A well thought out approach Steven, I think that tarp is just right and a good bit of insight to save the canopy for a spare.
I knew JR would be along when "mud" was mentioned. I hope there is plenty of coffee as he always gets a little "whiney"
if there are no refreshments. :crying:
Rick H.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks guys!

Some slowly progress on the 109,
I sprayed the underside in an Rlm76 and highlighted some panels roughly...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_021.jpg

Then I added some freehand camo with rlm74/75 on the wings and I tried a few different things on the fuselage as well...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_022.jpg

I tried to draw and cut out a mask from Tamiya-tape, based on the '6' visible in the images. A bit too 'bold' (font) but it is what it is...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_023.jpg

Here I masked the yellow band and white six, the yellow panels on the underside are masked too...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_024.jpg

Underside-parts sprayed in yellow...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_025.jpg

Here I had some paint chipping off when removing the '6' mask, the mask was a bit fragile so I didn't remove the tape-stickiness on my skin...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_026.jpg

Underside...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_027.jpg

Some masking of the spinner, based on the images...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_028.jpg

Spinner painted...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_029.jpg

At the moment I got this, the tarp is painted in an rlm02 color, it was probably a darker color in the images, but I don't know what would work best...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_030.jpg
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_031.jpg

Next is a gloss coat and some decals...

Thanks for reading and keep it safe!
Steven

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is just right Steven. The camo. is top drawer and you are on your way to a great looking diorama. I am anxiously awaiting the next phase of this project. Rick H.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Wow, an excellent build so far, really love how you've got the sit of the tarp looking spot on.. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's looking brilliant, wish I could cut out as good as that Steven. Tarp is the dogs !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Late in Steven but when I read "dio" I got interested. Nice idea and the tarp looks wicked man. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Steven. I would have loved to see that engine start in the first picture - just me being silly.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Many thanks for the comments guys! :thumb2:

This week our washing-machine broke down, it didn't want to drain and gave an error like 'drain filter full'...
But the machine is only 1 year old and the filter was still shiny and clean!
I decided to take a look inside to disconnect the drainage-hose connected to the drum,
so we could drain the machine (because the door remains locked when water is inside :astonished:)...
wasmachine01.jpg

About 10 liters of water ran out (yes that plastic box could only take 2 liters... :poop:)
and guess what... A D*MNED SOCK was stuck inside the drain-hose !!!
I was happy to find the problem but I'm not planning to lay down under the machine every week :thinking:...
wasmachine02.jpg

So with that resolved I could get back to my desk :relieved: ...
--------------------------------------------

Here's another update :
I've added some decals, sprayed another gloss coat and just finished the panel-wash...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_032.jpg

When wiping off the panel-wash excess I always use a paper-tissue or a cotton swap, but those don't last long...
Anyone here who knows a better alternative ?
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_033.jpg

I used a swastika from a 'swastika-sheet' and also added a 'horizontal white stripe' on the yellow band, based on the images...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_034.jpg

Here I just added the panel-wash, next is a matt-coat...
Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_035.jpg

Steven_Bf109_MUD_48_036.jpg

Next is a matt-coat...
Thanks for reading and keep it safe!
Steven

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is looking the bomb....glad you were able to sort that sock eating washing machine! Damned unruly thing if you ask me! :thumb2:
Rick H.