BF 110 D-3 (Dragon Models)

S

sprayman

This build will concentrate on my final piece for my dio The magnificent BF 110. As always folks please jump in with any comments,pics, or info all is welcome and appreciated.

This dragon kit is pretty damn fine, only a few steps behind Eduards version, and Im looking forward to building this.

5555 - BF110D-3

5555 - BF110D-3

From some early reading I will be building this around the following:

'mate+AP' Hptm. Heinz Nacke 6./ZG 76, Greece, May 1941.

If this information is not correct please jump in and correct it.

Made a start today on the engines and wheel bays, as you can see its very well detailed, just done some basic painting to it and will concentrate more on bringing the detail out, when the first overall wash is dry.

Look forward to all info and pics on this bird you may have, as blogging is new to me, and if you think I have missed any info or not explained any techniques then please pipe up.

Ray

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I detect some impressive work going on here. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Regards

Colin M

ps - what's going on with the box art, one exhaust manifold is pointing down, the other is pointing up ?

S

sprayman

Thanks Colin,what keen eyes you have, I had to to check a few things, but it would seem thats the way with the exhausts, if anyone has an explanation it would be nice to know.....

S

Sky Raider

That is some great work there, cant wait to see more.

Regards

Andy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Found this picture of a 110G showing the exhausts. They seem to have some additional bits but the manifolds coming from the engine do go in different directions.

The instructions for my Revell kit also show the same arrangement.

I'm sure there are guys here who will know more.

Gern

View attachment 27156

rafm_bf110g_24.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Ray that is looking awesome ,looking forward to seeing this build out

Trey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Ray,the exhausts are correct. I'm not sure why,it's possible that the inboard ones vent under the wing to keep them away from the crew compartment and (in bad light or the dark) the crew's eyes.I shall investigate when I get ten minutes to myself!! The G that Gern posted looks like a nightfighter and the extra bits are flame dampers.

Nice work by the way,it looks to be a nice kit.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

Those engines and wheel bays look superb, perfect weathering and detail.

As for the exhausts, many many years agi when I was a teenager, I made an Airfix 110 and thought I'd found a mistake when the exhausts were pointed in oposite directions. I changed mine, only to discover than the kit was correct!! Do your research first!

I can only assume it is related to air flow from the props and the exhaust pointing with the flow or something. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable members out there who know better.

S

sprayman

Thanks to you all for the positive comments, always helps push you....I agree Richard, about the research, as it is so easy to overlook something. Good points on the exhaust Stona, Im sure the reason will become clear......Thanks Dave for the image,everything helps me and any furure members who get this kit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking at Gern's picture, I wonder if the outboard exhaust is directed up to avoid filling what looks like a radiator with a load of hot exhaust gases ??

Colin M..........

S

sprayman

I hope to get plenty done on this bird as I have the week off, apart from the wife wanting me to, clear the garage,paint the spare room, clean the cars....etc....never have a week off for yourself, as your always left with a list...lol

Just grabbed the few books I do have on the 110, and Colin your bang on,

"The exhausts stubs are angled upwards, to avoid the hot gases entering the radiator, and the panel enclosing the stubs is seperate from the top and bottom main cowling panels"

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
What, I'm right, hang on a second, I'll just get the wife. She needs to see this !!

Regards

Colin M.........

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Ray,I notice on the box art the auxiliary fuel tanks under the wing and the fuselage bomb rack/bombs which are correct and typical of the D-3. I just wondered if the kit provided the auxiliary oil tank seen under the fuslage of some D-3s. It would be a first for any kit that I'm aware of!!

I've had a quick shuftie tonight and most of my D-3 pictures seem to be of aircraft from ZG 26. If I find any good ZG 76 ones I'll let you know.

Should be plenty of progress once you've appeased the boss!

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Any pics you more have Steve, would be very much appreciated.

There's a choice of two styles of drop tanks ,the ribbed variety, and the 198 litre type, sorry to say there's no fuselage auxiliary oil tank.

S

sprayman

Made a start on the first part of the cockpit, and finished the wheels.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ray,I'll scan a couple of piccies when I get home tonight if I'm not too late. All the Ds in Vasco's book have the ribbed (J1/J4) auxiliary fuel tanks rather than the drop tank style. He does show two pictures of a Bf110E-2 model to which (obviously at different times) both types were fitted.

I'll also scan a nice picture of a Bf110C of ZG76 showing the "shark mouth" very well. It also shows the light coloured spinner tips.

In the meantime here's one without painted spinner tips but with national flags on the side (from "Bf110 Zerstorer aces" John Weal/Osprey)

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Top info and pics Steve, this is brilliant, Thanks very much for your input and help.

B

Bunkerbarge

Superb cockpit detail and the weathering on those wheels is perfect. Absolutely beautiful.

S

sprayman

Many thanks for the kind words and support Richard.

@Steve, I have 2 spare 1/48 Dackelbauch 264 gallon fuel tank, but not sure if the D had them.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
According to Vasco,quote "the Bf110D-3 sub variant was specifically designed NOT to take the Dackelbauch fitment". His capitals. They could take two SD1000 bombs under the fuselage instead.He's been studying these things for thirty years so I'd take his word for it lol.

Very nice progress by the way,lovely job on the "front" cockpit.

Cheers

Steve