Bf-110 - What is this hole in the port wing?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

This is for my 110 build and may be a daft question but what is this hole in the wing for and do I need to blank it off as it appears to be on the 110 below ( I think it's the one at Hendon)? In one I've found it has a round tube like structure instead.

From everything I've seen It doesn't appear to be a landing light or something similar, more like a vent or air intake. I did have a look online and in my Eduard 110 instructions but couldn't find an answer.

ATB and thanks in advance for your assistance.

Andrew

50509940993_e5f8eb13d1_b.jpg

50510936247_0ba2df5f04_b.jpg

50510060383_a2bcc0865d_o.jpg

1603299183905.png

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's the air intake for the left hand engine.
On your bottom picture you can see the one for the other engine, just under the nose, protruding from the left side of that engine's cowling. They are both positioned to clear the exhausts.
The DB engines took air into the supercharger on the left hand side of the engine.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It's the air intake for the left hand engine.
On your bottom picture you can see the one for the other engine, just under the nose, protruding from the left side of that engine's cowling. They are both positioned to clear the exhausts.
The DB engines took air into the supercharger on the left hand side of the engine.

View attachment 401337

looks like a light ??? fitting

but this is a better diagram

original @ https://external-preview.redd.it/X46aD1VlkWpkKrANeW4fh7gNw2UJJd-tJVmqAZSf8mo.jpg

says supercharger intakeView attachment 401340

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. So leave it open!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Here's one I did earlier, with a tropical filter protecting that intake:

View attachment 401345

Thanks Steve. Just before I saw your picture, it occurred to me that it couldn't go in the same place as on the starboard engine because the exhausts vented upwards and so it would take in almost pure exhaust fumes!

On another point - and going off topic - I see you have the plane ID on the underside of the wing. The decals with the kit don't have them but I can see them on the real thing. From what I've seen they seem to have been put on both wings. Is that correct?

Thanks as always.

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Normally the letter which was the aircraft's identification letter would be on the underside of both wings. It would be the third letter is the code, sometimes, but not always in the staffel colour.
For example, 3U+ET of 9./ZG 76 had the E in yellow(the 9th staffel colour) on the fuselage but black under each wing.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Normally the letter which was the aircraft's identification letter would be on the underside of both wings. It would be the third letter is the code, sometimes, but not always in the staffel colour.
For example, 3U+ET of 9./ZG 76 had the E in yellow(the 9th staffel colour) on the fuselage but black under each wing.
Thanks Steve.

In my case the 110 I'm doing is also the 3rd staffel in the Gruppe and so the plane ID is also in yellow (Gruppe letter is P in this case). I have an artists impression that shows it in black (not always to be trusted I know) but I do have a b&w photo of it in Russia and it's definitely a very dark colour, I assume because yellow won't show up well against the light blue used on the underside of the wings.

The kit doesn't provided decals so I was going to have a go at doing it myself, hence the question.

Thank you as always for your help.

ATB

Andrew