Billing's Cutty Sark 1:75 Help. Newbie

B

billyboy

I too am glad i found this forum.I bought the cutty sark at xmas and have made a start on the hull but, like you none of the cabin details are printed on any of the wooden parts sheet. i did notice on the sheet that there is a pencil pointing to the bits that need lines etc, does that mean we have to draw them . Like you I think I will strugle with some of detail. I will contact billing and see what they say and post their reply. cheers

D

DerekBell

I never heard back from Belgium, and have given up. Billings USA has been very helpful, PM me your e-mail if you like and ill send you the pics billings USA sent me, have found them helpful. I found out from billings USA the wood 167A listed as Lifeboats is no longer used, they were for older lifeboats that heve been replaced with the white plastic ones. I scanned and blew up the page you mentined to lifesize to copy the detail over to the wood with. I have made a few errors, but thankfully only minor, and can only recommend triple check everything before gluing and painting. All in All it has been a great build, have really enjoyed putting it together and seeing the progress day to day. I have also had a good look over you-tube for any footage I can get of the real cutty.. Hope between all of us we can answer any questions we may come across.

Derek

B

badjohnbad

Hey guys!

First post. Just chanced upon this and thought I might show you how mine's going. I've been at mine since about october, it's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a lot of fun doing it, and it keeps me out of trouble!

I had the same problem as Derek... no lines on my wood, so I just made some stuff up with the veneer strips I thought I looked okay... I've also been a little more liberal with the colour scheme to make it look a bit nicer. Just finishing off the deck fittings at the moment, then starting the masts/rigging... :/

By the way, has anyone got any idea where parts 53 go? They're funny curvy bits, helpfully named 'plankingstrips', but they're not strips nor do they look like they're for planking, cant find a reference to em in the instructions or plans... ah well.

Well I would upload images... But looks like my quota is set to 10kB, and I can't even get a tiny image to fit in that... what's the deal?

B

badjohnbad

Okay, here goes...

EDIT: didn't work... meh, I guess you're restricted when you sign up using a gmail account or something?

EDIT2: Cheers John, doesn't look quite right to me.... hmmm

Last edited:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
There are no limitations for using a gmail account and you shouldn't be limited to 10kb, have you tried using the gallery to upload your picture?

B

Bear50

Hi!

I'm new at this site but what I have seen so far it looks very interesting with a lot of info.

I recently bought the same kit (Cutty Sark) from Billing boats and also had problems with that there was no printing on the deck and had to improvise.

Also as you said there was no information regarding the included mahogany and I also assumed that it was for the decking.

Right now i dont have any problems but i'm sure i'll be back.

D

DerekBell

Parts #53

Hi Guys

Havent been back here for a while, glad I started this post, is good to see others building the same kit, and are having similar issues (It isnt relayed to my kit only). Havent had a lot of time to work on it lately (Have had a baby enter the family recently), but am at the painting stage of the hull, have greatly enjoyed the build...

The parts #53 mentioned took me a while to find, they are on the Plan 1 No 8001, behind the anchors. Your build is looking good..

Derek

K

koppite

Hello badjohnbad. Re your request as to where parts 53 go. Please see Plan 1. (I am looking at it at this moment,)The plan which shows the masts etc. The part 543 is attached to the bow just below the rails. I imagine it is to protect the hull from damage caused by the anchor.

By the way have you any idea where I can get the fitting kit paert 565.?. I bought this kit in 2006 from a local sale for only £20.00. An absolute snip but no fittings.

N

ndbni

Hi all

just found you guys.

I built this cutty sark in 1975

. It has been in the garage roof space for about 19 years after a kitten got entangled in the rigging and ran amock through the house before we could catch it

Just about to take a pair of scissors to it with a view to repair and re-rigging it as I still have all orig bumf.

It never had sails, anyone know where I could get sail patterns or templates??

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Welcome Derek ......... Hope you enjoy your stay matey......... and good luck with the Cutty Sark, although it's one ship that I dislike above all others....... Only because, when I built it many years ago (I never finished it after it hit the wall) I sliced a damn get gash down my finger with a scalpel blade :smiling3: ...... and I still have the scar as a reminder.....

......... But I'll look forward to seeing yours come together......... Be Safe, :rolleyes:

First Name
Noel
Hi Derek, There is a fully detailed large set of plans, 3 sheets of, that I believe you can buy from the Cutty Sark Trust itself. I bought these a number of years ago and they are superb. Another thing worth hunting down is a book by C Nepean Longridge that was published by Model and Allied Publications that describes in depth how he built the model in the Science Museum in London. It is long out of print but may be worth tracking down via the net.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Derek, There is a fully detailed large set of plans, 3 sheets of, that I believe you can buy from the Cutty Sark Trust itself. I bought these a number of years ago and they are superb. Another thing worth hunting down is a book by C Nepean Longridge that was published by Model and Allied Publications that describes in depth how he built the model in the Science Museum in London. It is long out of print but may be worth tracking down via the net.

Might be a while before any reply. Seems DB hasn’t posted since 2011!
I wonder if its Derek Bell the race driver....my dad worked for him for a brief spell in the 80’s!

First Name
Noel
Hello Si! You may well be right, but some of the Billings Cutty Sark kits gather dust on a shelf for years. Maybe Derek has not got around to it yet. Who knows?
He may pick up my info. He may not, Anyway, it's there if he is off the radar for a while.
If my memory serves me right at one time you had to buy the kit and shell out again for the fittings separately from Billings.