Billings Cutty Sark

C

Caledonia

Recently joined the Aircraft forum, after about 47 Years absence from modeling, but forgot I did venture into Ship Modeling once, when I made the Billings Cutty Sark about 25 Years ago, took 3 years part time, mainly due to hand sewing the sails and also the rigging. This is a wooden plank on frame model.

If anyone else has made this model would like to see some photo's to see how it should look.

Derek

View attachment 19620

View attachment 19621

Cutty Sark 1.jpg

Cutty Sark 2.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi mate,

I remember this one well, the old tea clipper. Many moons ago i had an attempt at making this one and i think i did finish it... thats how long ago it was, i cant remember, i dont even know what happend to it when i finished it. Nice build though, well done.

Andy

C

Caledonia

Andy, Thanks for your comments, I must admit it was a trial of determination and endurance, had to walk away from it a few times, and leave it for a few weeks, to keep my sanity. You probably had a similar experience.

Kind Regards

Derek

S

Sky Raider

It was a little tricky but it was a lot amaller kit as i recal and i think i wold have been around 11 or 12 at the time of building it. Many moons ago. The last ship i built was the Victory, i gave that away in a glass case about 6 months ago. Probably 10 years after i buit her.

Andy

L

linken1647

Billing Cutty Sark

Hi there

Have just reached the rigging stage on the cutty sark, this was a gift some 24 years ago, now retired with time to spare, have been on it now for about a year (on and off), Its great to see that it can look that good, Will post some pictures when catch up with the rigging. And get the paint job sorted. Would be great if you have more Photos, Im sure they would inspire me.

Ken

C

Caledonia

Hi Ken, So you are about to start the rigging, you better ask Santa for a sack full of patience. A swear box would be good too, then you would have the money to buy your next model 10 times over. Seriously though, I have attached a few photo's which may help, I will have to dust the model some time, so apologies for the dust, if you want any other details let me know. And remember to post some photo's of your progress. All the best Derek

View attachment 20418

View attachment 20419

View attachment 20420

View attachment 20421

View attachment 20422

View attachment 20423

View attachment 20424

View attachment 20425

View attachment 20426

View attachment 20427

View attachment 20428

DSCN1379.jpg

DSCN1380.jpg

DSCN1381.jpg

DSCN1382.jpg

DSCN1383.jpg

DSCN1384.jpg

DSCN1385.jpg

DSCN1386.jpg

DSCN1388.jpg

DSCN1389.jpg

DSCN1390.jpg

L

linken1647

Its off to the rigging I go!

Hi Derek

Thanks for the extra photos, I didnt realise how much rigging there was, As you suggest I think Ill ask Papa Noel for a large sack of patience, Although I didnt intend to fit the sails at this stage as I feel they cover a great deal of the deck detail, I will take some pictures over the week end and post them ASAP.

Thanks again for the extra photos,

Ken

C

Caledonia

Ken, If you want close-ups of any areas as you go along, let me know, I usually browse the site most days. I think you will have to decide at the outset if you want sails, sails I would say trebles the rigging work. I don't think you would have access to retrofit the sails. All the best Derek

S

sailor6782

sailor6782

That's a very nice model. Patience pay's doesn't it.

I have made several Billing kits over the years which my 'ex' through out !

and am about to start on a 'Mantua' model of the Victory. I have only just joined here and look foward to sharing with 'like-minded' soles.

Bob.

C

Caledonia

Hi Bob, Nice to hear from you, are you doing the 1:200 or the 1:98 Victory. Have always been tempted to make the Victory, but sanity has always prevailed. Was onboard it in Portsmouth about 1956 amazed how low the ceiling height was between decks, even as a boy I had to bend down. Lets have some photo's when your ready. All the best Derek

T

Triumph

\ said:
Hi Ken, So you are about to start the rigging, you better ask Santa for a sack full of patience. A swear box would be good too, then you would have the money to buy your next model 10 times over. Seriously though, I have attached a few photo's which may help, I will have to dust the model some time, so apologies for the dust, if you want any other details let me know. And remember to post some photo's of your progress. All the best Derek
Caledonia thats awesome and theres me not doing a WW1 Bi-plane because of the rigging :lame:

I live and grew up a few mins from the real thing at Greenwich. Very upset to see her in flames. Hopeing to get her back again one day restored in all her glory

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Caledonia thats awesome and theres me not doing a WW1 Bi-plane because of the rigging :lame:I live and grew up a few mins from the real thing at Greenwich. Very upset to see her in flames. Hopeing to get her back again one day restored in all her glory
Hi Triumph, Thanks for your comments. About 5 years after I finished the model I visited the Cutty Sark in August 1991, and saw her in all her glory, although there were trying to raise money because of rot to the Hull. Took many photo's on a film camera which would have been invaluable had I had them during the build. Thats life, All the best Derek

S

sailor6782

Mantua 'Victory'.

Hi, thanks for your reply. The kit is the 1.200 (my workshop is a cupboard).

Having been in the RN for 15 years and an RNR Seamanship instructor since and sailed on the TS Royalist a few times I am fortunate to understand cordage better than many. A model be-decked in 'string' is thus a lesser problem and a joy to behold when completed, as long as you stay away from the hairy stuff ! I was surprised that the kit contained no 'ships boats', but I have the measure of that having made a scratch 'hermes' (my first ship - 1967) in 1/200. We love a challenge don't we ?

Good fortune, I'll be back.

Bob.