Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a cool shot Steve. Getting in flight shots of suits and swallows is not easy in the slightest….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting John. Looks very like the grey Herons we get in the UK. Main differences are that he looks a bit scruffier with those long feathers, and his legs are a different colour. Nice to see though.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Chris @boatman look away now!

Ok, not a bird but a fair sized hornet decided to inspect the 'model room' (as my wife calls it). Managed to put a glass over it and then slid an a4 cutting mat underneath and help it back out the window.

Had quite a few in this year....

20230902_143957.jpg
20230902_143909.jpg
20230902_143842.jpg

Nick

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
We've had a lot of them down here this year too,as Tim says,ok as long as you don't provoke them,but if you do..... they can get VERY vengeful ;)....
I've seen them chasing some of the hands across my mate's stables... DEFINITELY on an attack mission!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not bird watching - but bird listening! The last 3 nights have been disturbed by the sounds of 2 or 3 Tawny Owls having a territorial dispute - goes on for quite a while - I hear owls on a very regular basis, but this is the first time I've heard them squabbling
Dave

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Handsome little beasts aren’t they……and, unlike wasps, not aggressive unless provoked.
Just had to have a Wasp nest terminated after wifey was stung and had a reaction!! Luckily, we caught it before they managed to set up a colony. Little boogars had set up in our dry stone wall. Bad enough she was stung, the worry was our young pup would get stung as she's very inquisitive.
Didn't like calling in the chap but two blast of magic powder and sadly they were no more. Angry little devils, I learned they, unlike Bees, can sting repeatedly and always go for the upper body and head.
IMG_1025.JPG