Bismarcks cable reels?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening

The Takom turret kit has you fit three cable reels which are covered i assume with canvas which is white or beige / buff colour??

Would the canvas be one piece, have one join / seam or what? The kit reels are of course in 2 pieces.

This picture is from the anatomy of the Bismarck??
20210419_173634.jpg

Shows bugger all lol

Bob

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Cable reel covers are usually made of canvas, stitched together - two end pieces with hemispherical tops and a middle oblong strip actually over the cables - usually with eyelets on the bottom edges, so they can be lashed down.
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cable reel covers are usually made of canvas, stitched together - two end pieces with hemispherical tops and a middle oblong strip actually over the cables - usually with eyelets on the bottom edges, so they can be lashed down.
Dave
Many thanks Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It may be well to remember the service maxim 'If it moves salute it, if it doesn't paint it ... ! On-board most 'Navy' stuff like this is either scrubbed, painted or disguised beyond an inch of it's life!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Cable reels, as the name suggests are storage for cables! These cables will generally only be used when alongside, or at anchor. At sea, they are stowed away ( usually liberally greased ), and covered to protect them. On the older merchant ships that I served on, each cargo hatch had four winches & derricks, and there were 5 hatches. On leaving port and beginning a long sea passage, the winches & derricks were unrigged & the cables stowed, in you guessed it, reels! This was all on deck - they took up a lot of space, and each reel had its own 'tea cosy' to shelter it from the elements!
Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dave , you are spot on! But I'm sure, as you well know, the Andrew would want every 'Tea Cosy' to be 'Tiddly' . On a modelling perspective these open reels are probably best represented as a very dark. satin, grey-brown colour with a dark metallic overtone, (That's a load of bow locks I hear you say)