Black on Black

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi all,
I'm currently at the weathering stage for my Beaufighter. I've never done a black model before and would really like some pointers for weathering for things like exhaust and machine gun marks please.
Thanks

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The exhausts is a fairly easy one mick , a lot of ww2 era aircraft used fuel with a certain amount of lead in it which causes a greyish brown exhaust streak , all the more noticeable on a black scheme , the cordite stains from the gun blast is a little more subtle but i would use a sooty brown for this . Im on the iphone at the mo so dont know how to link to a previous post but if you just search p-61 black widow and type my name in the member box it should bring up my finished pics which shows the exhaust stains on a black finish, hope this helps cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Because of the lead content Allied aircraft had a light grey appearance where as Axis (German at least) like Tony said had a brown umber/blackish colouring due to the refinement process.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
No problem Mick.

Just read up on it again and to add to what i said about the German staining. It was because they processed their fuels by using coal-oil (especially towards the end of the war), so it gave a brown umber tint to the staining.