Blending / smoothing paint

J

Jonjacub

Hi there . Im quite new to scale modelling and have been doing it a few months working my way up to more detailed models and was just wondering if anyone has any good ways of smoothing the paint after masking? For example what wet and dry is best to use ... When is best timeto do it etc .... Or is it all trial and error lol any help would be great .. Thanks Also does anyone know if I could get a paint close to tamiya as20 insignia White because I can't get it anywhere ... I have a airbrush so any acrylic would b good thanks again :smiling:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The best way is to avoid the build up of paint against the tape. This can be done by spraying off the edge of the mask. That is to say the spray comes from over the tape and not towards the tape. (did that make sense).

Next is to remove the tape BEFORE the paint dries. This is often how the edge forms as the paint dries up against the tape. Remove the tape and the paint will flatten down as it dries. In the event of a small ridges forming a wet and dry will do the jog but you will need some thing really fine. 1000grit or finer. Remember to wait until the paint is 200% dry.

AS for the paint take a look at Xtracrylix white FS 17875 Fs17875 White Xtracrylix XA1141 - ScaleModelShop

Ian M

J

Jonjacub

thanks for the tips mate i think it didnt helf much that the first model i tried to blend i painted with rattle cans and in my opinion is too much too fast but hav recently realised that you can discharge them and use them in a airbrush... as for the paint il give it a go... i would just use white but the insignia white seems to be a slight off white ....unless i cot it with another colour. il see how it goes lol thx again