Blitz AFS Fireman Bust Sculpt ,1-10 scale

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
While I've got the sculpting mojo back I thought I would do a bust, which I have never done before.
British WWII subjects are rather neglected in favour of Germans and Americans, and especially the home front, so I thought I would start with the Auxiliary Fire Service and maybe progress with that theme if it goes well.
And as the Battle of Britain GB finishes this is a natural follow-on.
This is one of my inspiration images
london-afs-fireman-hospital-blitz-ww2-7638181.jpg

I also have a thing against the film-star good looks of many soldier busts, so I have challenged myself with a more 'character' face.
As Peter Day's blogs often show, some of the 'character' sculpts leave a lot to be desired and tend to look more like caricatures, so it's a tough one. That said, the AFS and other home front services were manned predominantly by older people who were beyond call-up age, and I want to represent them properly.

This has been cooking for a week or two so there are no earlier shots
IMG_20201031_092011095.jpgIMG_20201031_092021441.jpgIMG_20201031_092030104.jpg
The head is Milliput, the helmet is downloaded free from the internet and 3D printed and the rest is Bee's Putty.
Bee's Putty is new to me and is a polymer clay like Fimo or Sculpy which you bake in the oven.
What differentiates it from these others is that it comes in four firmness options. So far I have only used the basic version, with a little bit of 'Triple Firm' for the retaining straps on the gas mask bag, but I like it.
As I have said before I am as much a carver as a modeler, so this is pushing me out of my comfort zone in the modelling direction.
I am also going to have another go at mould-making and casting- so that will be exciting.........
thanks for looking
Neil

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great to see you putty pushing Neil.Great subject and pose looks great.Beeputty mixes nicely with Super sculpey or fimo,Ive got triple and quad firm.I will watch this with much interest.Nice to see some sculpting done,Might fuel my mojo to start again after a long break.
Good on ya.
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Already his face is looking good with character, Neil. The helmet though from the profile is kind of odd, seems to have a slight dip in the middle...perhaps a bit of sanding to the front and back or adding some putty to the top. The top of Brody's have a screw to hold the sponge and metal webbing inside. From the front it's okay except that the rim should have a slight wedge or faint inverted V and not straight all round.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Neil, you can just faintly see it on the inspiration image. Or just look at my avatar and you'll know what I mean. You can ignore it if you want to, no worries. Just thought of mentioning it.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Neil,

That is one great sculpt you've created here Sir!!! You have captured the look of an older gentleman perfectly. The rest is mighty fine too!!!
I will definitely be following this one....

Prost
Allen

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil

Bravo for undertaking this project and great results so far. That face has a very nice look and good anatomical detail. If I were to suggest anything it would be a little more work on the eyes. The mechanics o the eye socket are very subtle, but remember it is basically a sphere with an upper and lower lid that conform to the spherical shape. The actual part of the eye that is visible is not an oval shape but has some very subtle curves.

Having said all that this is looking like a very nice sculpt and I will be interested to learn how you get on with mould making.

John

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Great to see you putty pushing Neil.Great subject and pose looks great.Beeputty mixes nicely with Super sculpey or fimo,Ive got triple and quad firm.I will watch this with much interest.Nice to see some sculpting done,Might fuel my mojo to start again after a long break.
Good on ya.
Richard
Cheers Richard - I do hope you get sculpting soon

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil, you can just faintly see it on the inspiration image. Or just look at my avatar and you'll know what I mean. You can ignore it if you want to, no worries. Just thought of mentioning it.

Cheers,
Richard

Thank you Richard.
I have had my reservations about the top of the Brodie from the start, but the photo really brought it home so I WILL be addressing that. I have been studying them, both historical and reproduction, and it seems to me that every manufacturer had slight differences, not only in construction but in shape and size.
for instance some brims have a curved flare from the crown and some have a sharper angled flare. Some crowns are taller and rounder than others.
I believe there is a difference between WWI & WWII helmets; I don't know what it is but I'm sure many of the home front and early war helmets would have been old ones recycled. So apart from the dome of the crown I will leave it alone. He will have the waterproof hood attached anyway so that will make a difference as well.
Thanks again for your interest

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
The face looks great Neil, it has that “old” quality you were looking for without moving into caricature.

Thanks Tim
Wow Neil,

That is one great sculpt you've created here Sir!!! You have captured the look of an older gentleman perfectly. The rest is mighty fine too!!!
I will definitely be following this one....

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen
It was actually started as a portrait of someone years ago and abandoned because it was the wrong size for the body, so I was confident about that aspect of it.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil

Bravo for undertaking this project and great results so far. That face has a very nice look and good anatomical detail. If I were to suggest anything it would be a little more work on the eyes. The mechanics o the eye socket are very subtle, but remember it is basically a sphere with an upper and lower lid that conform to the spherical shape. The actual part of the eye that is visible is not an oval shape but has some very subtle curves.

Having said all that this is looking like a very nice sculpt and I will be interested to learn how you get on with mould making.

John
Thanks John
I agree with you about the eyes
As with the Brodie ,the photo has emphasized the problems. As I said it IS a portrait and they ARE very close to the truth, but clearly not quite right.
If you want a laugh about my recent faltering steps with mould-making, have a look at my 1/32 Pilot thread HERE

D

Deleted member 6559

Bloomin' marvellous Neil . '' The Bells Go Down'' with Tommy Trinder is a great film and Trinder himself has all the 'character' you could want in a face. You've done a great job so far, not too much caricature and the makings of a real cockney geezer.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Bloomin' marvellous Neil . '' The Bells Go Down'' with Tommy Trinder is a great film and Trinder himself has all the 'character' you could want in a face. You've done a great job so far, not too much caricature and the makings of a real cockney geezer.
That’s the one....I was trying to work out who the photograph was......

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Why, thank you kind sir.
That's a film I haven't seen- must check it out. I did see a IWM film recently 'I Was A Fireman' which was very informative.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That’s the one....I was trying to work out who the photograph was......
IS it Tommy Trinder?
I also found this on my search, which is actually he and I compared them and I am not so sure.

gettyimages-79051876-1024x1024.jpg

I do think the original photo looks quite staged, and is VERY clean and sharp(his bandaged hand is way too clean) but I don't think it's our boy.
Not that it matters a jot.
I've got my pedant hat on again, sorry:rolling: