Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I am working quite aimless rather than sticking to finishing sections of the building I start something new
Although most of my ref pics show roller gates being used in doorways and the dio has two of them but i thought a might add another type in the doorway of the section of the house that is most destroyed
So, pie tin foil and plast strips when it is done i hopefully will be able to buckle it a bit - blast damage- and have it hanging form one hinge

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You are quite right John it is a fine line but maybe a few rust streaks might not be amiss?
A few maybe , just on the edges Steven. Just had another look at the earlier photos, what about where the unit is fixed to the support rails, that maybe would be an area where paint would have been knocked off when they were fitting.
Do like the idea of the foil, can't really think of any better to represent buckled metal, look fwd to seeing the outcome.
John.

Last edited:

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
A few maybe , just on the edges Steven. Just had another look at the earlier photos, what about where the unit is fixed to the support rails, that maybe would be an area where paint would have been knocked off when they were fitting.
Do like the idea of the foil, can't really think of any better to represent buckled metal, look fwd to seeing the outcome.
John.
The mounting brackets have been weathered with a spotty rusty appearance - well spotted

The Door:
The door almost done - still in fairly god nick - that will change...

Attachments

• 1550867192259.png
    1550867192259.png
    471.8 KB · Views: 1

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Bigger building

A bit of progress on the facade of the bigger building roller gate is in, as is the last of the AC - gate is a bit too shiny but will be more subtle when the whole lot is dusted with pigments.

Smaller

The plan: keeping the nice bright white surface of the pollyfilla , varnish it and then do subtle washes to weather, niiice, subtle effect , right?
Nooooo....
The harsh modelling reality: Even with the varnish, literally the thinnest wash I have ever done and immediate dubbing following, the damn.. thing suck up paint like you would not believe. The result is a weathering not suitable - even for wartime Aleppo - this is a do over, I will have to paint the rendering and then do washes

As this is a convenience store I will be adding some shelfs to the sides, a counter in the center of the room discarded boxes and crates on the floor most of this will only be partially visible as the the collapsed ceiling will hide most of it.

'til next time
C&C is very welcomed

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great progress. Somebody was working this building hard. Some 50 cal. or Russian 14s besides 7.62. PaulE

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
very realistic it will be really something.... awaiting...with a loooooot od interest...

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for all the words of encouragement :hungry:

Great progress. Somebody was working this building hard. Some 50 cal. or Russian 14s besides 7.62. PaulE
Indeed, Paul my thoughts on the storyline for the building is that infantry has tried to "soften" the fortified building and might have tried to storm it but found it a nut too hard to crack and called in an airstrike.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
sandbagging the building has commenced.. Ref pics from Aleppo show improvised use of anything that could hold anything was used for sandbags - including pillowcasings (coincidentally also used by opposing forces during The Great War when at the outset sandbags were in short supply) and used rice bags . you know the big white ones - I cant remember the term - also plastic bags were used so I will include some of them as well.

refshot showing the variety used mine will look similar - ish (i do not own the rights - purely for educational use)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice details and weathering Steven :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven.
Coming on in leaps and bounds, love the roller door and the shop counter, that debri that has crashed through the top on the right , with the shelf at an angle is a brilliant touch .
John.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks a lot for the comments Gents - appreciated

Bit of a side note:
Some goodies arrived today - I can't scratch everything you know :hungry:
I especially look forward to doing this - An improvised mortar - or "Helfire Cannon" as it is also known as
Firing improvised shells made form gas canisters, random as hell and just about as dangerous to fire as to be on the receiving end of

Big utilities post

Details for the street