Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hello all
I am working on a diorama with a SAA BMP - 2 In outskirts of A,leppo scale is 1/35 period is not set but will likely be in the later stages of the Civil War. Discussion regarding the layout can be found Here, but in short there will be a lower building in the foreground - partly in ruins and a large apartment/ storefront complex in the background, also partly destroyed.
BMP: will be parked and crew talking to troops on the ground, believing the area to be cleared - not so....

XmjPFQt.jpg
Materails will be a mix of foam and plaster - working in foam is a first for me.

Lower Building:
Is going to be a grocery store/Bodega with large opening blinded by rolling shutters - the roof will be collapsed so not much of the interior will be seen
I have begun work on the lower building, for ease of construction, I have not glued the parts together yet , also I am planning to have the facade rendered using - hmmm- plaster of Paris I guess - any better alternatives? with parts of the brickwork showing
The Window is thought to be a display window or a smaller opening to serve patrons.
KMXObj5.jpg

I had to redo the sidewalk a few times but I fairly content with this:
048k7zU.jpg
xflrq0Y.jpg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steven, regarding your question about alternative rendering, when I did my burned out Abrams tank diorama on here in May, I found the foam board/ polystyrene on its own was fine for the render. I just dug some bits out here and there.

I then painted the exposed blockwork a slightly different colour to the render. Keep in mind these buildings were usually 99% concrete blocks and pillars, then rendered.

I hope the above link will be of some help to you.

Whatever method you adopt, just have fun when you create trashed and damaged buildings. I do!

Ron

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Ron - you are quite right they do have a rendered finish on their own - I am going to play around with some trial pieces, both rendered and without to see what works best for me - thanks for the input mate :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Glad to help.
Just a couple of quick pointers which you might know already.....
Be careful what glue you use. Some will melt the foam board. I use UHU POR, it's specially for foam board and any polystyrene.
Before you apply any sort of 'Render', prime the board with watered down P.V.A. and let it dry.

Cheers.
Ron

Reactions: JR

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
trial - wall rendered - I am pretty happy with this first attempt - I am just playing around atm :smiling:
Iy8peFj.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Trial? Playing around? That looks excellent Steven!........:thumb2:
Who needs to add any extra stuck on render?

Ron

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A great "trial". Very well done. PaulE

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Is that polyfilla or similar I see applied?......:surprised:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven.
Ron is quite right in his thoughts on the board.
I use a plaster board adhesive for the skim over the foam ( only because I had a tub left over ). Looking at yours its seems perfect what ever you have used. The finer the mix the easier to sand, poly filler, plaster , they are all pretty much the same.
Looking fwd to more photos.
John.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Is that polyfilla or similar I see applied?......:surprised:
It is :smiling4:
Steven.
Ron is quite right in his thoughts on the board.
I use a plaster board adhesive for the skim over the foam ( only because I had a tub left over ). Looking at yours its seems perfect what ever you have used. The finer the mix the easier to sand, poly filler, plaster , they are all pretty much the same.
Looking fwd to more photos.
John.
You are so right, I chose Pollyfilla for the fine grain it has thinking it would yield a nice finish and it is not shabby I guess

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Whilest working on the facade of the building i have been playing around with the collapsed roof it is aboutn1.5 cm in thickness and i use 0.1 og mm wire and have a hard time getting thw right sizing for the rebar i spotted some at a construction site meant for flooring and they were about the size of my inedex finger

Attachments

• 20181208_163940.jpg
    20181208_163940.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 12
  • 20181208_164419.jpg
    20181208_164419.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 12

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Plastering... Plastering...and more plastering... all fun.. LOOKING GOOD

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Plastering... Plastering...and more plastering... all fun.. LOOKING GOOD
it is - and messy too :smiling:

I willl be adding a satellite dish and maybe a watertank - clinging on for dear life, half sliding down the sloping slaps of concrete. I might use an aftermarket set for that one or try scratching one for myself - smaller houses often use a cylindrical tank hooked up to solar panels - could be fun to scratch

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
i found this on Royal models... that could be super cool...

electrical-boxes-135.jpg
house-modern-accessories-135.jpgtranspallet-135.jpg

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Here... less fun pictures... but inspirational for rubble and writings... check also the ondulated metal sheet "roofs"and all the mess on the street after bombardments...:sad::sad::sad:
0208ghouta.jpg1018316866.jpg
Pictures for discussion purpose only