spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have had a good hard look at the inscribed brickwork and it simply does not pass muster - grout lines are far from straight in certain places and it will show up in the finished version, so the facade will be rendered - a lot of wasted work - but hey, a lesson learned i guess :sad-face:

thanks for looking in

Steven, before you do hide the brick/blockwork take a look at some of the workmanship over in the M.E. (Up, down, in and out) I wouldn't worry one jot about your scribing! You might even loose a bit of 'Authenticity' if you rendered it.....
Just a thought.

Also, the picture you've posted of the mass of small rebars hanging down. They are not part of the main structure work as such. What you see is a steel rod 'matting' layed across the main structure. Concrete is then poured onto this to provide a flat, fairly thin concrete layer (Similar in principal to modern pre-cast Bison Beams), so I would suggest just a line of thick bars protruding out would suffice.

Ron

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Steven.
Hi , hope you show some of the brick work by not covering it all up ! .
What are you going to use for the glass, I use plastic from food packaging . Cut in one direction, collecting it up and then placing with a thin PVA mix .
John .
Hi John -thanks for the comments I do plan to have some of the good parts exposed:hungry: , In terms of glass, I use the same as Greg

Reactions: JR

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Steven, before you do hide the brick/blockwork take a look at some of the workmanship over in the M.E. (Up, down, in and out) I wouldn't worry one jot about your scribing! You might even loose a bit of 'Authenticity' if you rendered it.....
Just a thought.

Also, the picture you've posted of the mass of small rebars hanging down. They are not part of the main structure work as such. What you see is a steel rod 'matting' layed across the main structure. Concrete is then poured onto this to provide a flat, fairly thin concrete layer (Similar in principal to modern pre-cast Bison Beams), so I would suggest just a line of thick bars protruding out would suffice.

Ron

Hi Ron thanks for the comment, I did have a passing thought of chalking my mistakes up to "sloppy workmanship", but there are just some that are so horrendous so as not to be accepted, even by ME standards....
In terms of crossing rebars "grid" I was planning to use it in the floor sections of the large building - would that be wrong in your opinion?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron
In terms of crossing rebars "grid" I was planning to use it in the floor sections of the large building - would that be wrong in your opinion?

It would be fine. I just thought to save you having to use so many bars, you could just show the exposed reinforcing to the main structure and not use the 'Close up' ones as in that picture.

It'll look great whatever you decide to use.

Top detailing.... :thumb2:

Ron

Reactions: JR

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Rendering under way but still very WIP - tinted pollyfilla - dries a bit lighter than I liked

Wet - looks fine

Dried - before sanding

Sanded - lightend the tone even further - might need another coat in places - I have left blemishes, mistakes etc. in certain palces to give the look of a neglected building having to suffer the utter destruction of urban warfare....

I thought of painting the panels in a faded pastel colour to break the monochrome look

Before rendering I painted the foam with a mixture of plaster , water and PVA glue to seal it then painted it with Vallejo Surface primer - "Sinai Sand" a colour close to the rendering in case there are spots i can't reach with the rendering - I suspect areas around the AC units will be hard - I hop they won't show up too much.

Other balcony with the primer applied before rendering - I might have gone overboard with the rebars... - the way I see it is that the flooring of the balcony is formed by sections f the floor sections of the building perturding out beyond the walls f the building and would be reinforced.

That's it for now - my son needs his dieper changed...

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks good to me Steven, you could darken that part you think dried too light, but in anycase there are no hard and fast rules to the colours that you have picked .
Agree with your thought on a differing colour to the screen blocks, that will break up that single colour.Suppose concrete is rather like working with shades of white but in light grey and browns .
That rebar is great, esp how there is some " concrete " stuck to several of the bars.
Keep it up
John

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks gents - John, these are all very good ideas I should have followed - did I - Nooooo , instead I chose to f*** everything up:

Que somber lone violin - intro

The great facade F''' Up:

I was pretty happy with the Polly Filla rendering, bar the fact that it felt very porous and fragile when dried This could prob be sorted by adding a second coating and sealing with a clear coat. Now, did I chose to do so using the well - known materials at a hand, which had produced satisfactory results the first time around? Noooo, not me - I just HAD to use an new material - a ready mixed filler which had a slightly foamy texture - liked whipped cream -and which , surprise surprise kept that appearance when dried. The result was that of a slightly dusty layer cake... - I shall spare you the horror visually, and post a pic of the facade, as it stands now stripped of all the offending material:

I will be re coating with pollyfilla - some of the original coating still remains but I will cover everything - twice - and then seal it - I guess you live and learn.....

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
So I have been working to undo the F*** up
Redid the rendering of the balconies working on the rebar
WUUTcd8.jpg

m1r8RIy.jpg

9R5pedb.jpg

Done some work on the rebars right now they are all rusty but parts of them will be covered by a residual concrete
also, the edge where pieces have broken of will be covered in a fine mix of plaster and white glue
a4fMdiF.jpg

FSA flag on roller gate done
- these would have been hastily added, so I have not bothered too much with the artistic look - the gate will have some holes in it when I can bare to do it.....
vJ8ny1D.jpg

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven.
Great save, love the texture you have , keep some of that rust on the rebar.
All is not lost by any means .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::nerd:
John.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks John :smiling:
Did some more work on the balconies:

Panels painted - not sure whether I will go with this color- might do pastel Red or Green - thoughts? also the bulletholes on the left hand side are oversized
BmOwzig.jpg

I did some detailing on the edges
5M9rcvo.jpg

ZpKqJug.jpg

:rolling::rolling:Makes quite a difference - before:
HD78TU3.jpg

After:
FaWY2oQ.jpg

The facade - Redone rendering ,done some work on the AC units - will be heavily wheathered
wuTOGin.jpg

Heaps of details yet to do - and this is just the facade:rolling:

See ya'

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking fine Steven .
John .

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Did some streaking under the acs i will supplement these with some rusty streaks as well from the mounting brackets
I word of caution when doing effect paint ( here Ak) on absorbent plaster based surfaces such as pollyfilla there is no waiting period - start blending right away
even though i have varnish the facade the paint was absorbed into the surface very quickly
i would also recommend thinning the effect paint

Attachments

• 20190218_1934079223141599234913726.jpg
    20190218_1934079223141599234913726.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190218_1933345022996326837024062.jpg
    20190218_1933345022996326837024062.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 8

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It's really surprising how quickly the paint is absorbed, just shows how much of the varnish went the same way !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just the job Steven, any more and it might look over done .
John .