BMP - 2 in the outskirts of Damascus ca. 2013 - layout

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Admins: If this is in the wrong forum I apologize - if that is the case please move

Hello everyone

With work on the WWI mortar pit in the final stages, I wanted to start a new dio.
All the following is very preliminary - feel free to C&C everything :thumb2:

Story/ context:

Early in the Syrian uprising , Regime tactics for using AFVS was often to use AFVS without infantry support in Urban settings,
With Rebels gradually adopted a "stalking" tacktique with RPG - teams shadowing lighter armored APC'S.
I am going to try to replicate this in a dio.
Now, the BMP - 2 is a fast vehicle, but in rubbled filled street it had to slow down - somewhat - stalking one of these things on foot ,must be quite challenging.
So, two or more Rebels with RPG are rushing to exploit a slower moving BMP , negotiating a corner and piles of rubble.
Moving under the cover of buildings, by the time the BMP has turned the corner - the Rebs will have a clear shot to the rear of the vehicle - if they can manage to get into position:
About the layout pic: - if you are using a mobile device you will have to zoom in on the text - I hope you can read the text

KQmJ76R.jpg

The Bmp 2 is the Trumpeteer kit - with no additional figures

The RPG team is from evolution Models:
XXCmVMQ.jpg

Base will about 45X45 cm - I would have liked to go larger but I attend model shows, have no car and need to bring the dios on public transport - so size is an isssue - also in terms of dispaying the work at home..

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Hi Steven... I'm really looking forward to this... it's an unsual theme that can make a stunning diorama...
be aware NOT to put the rpg team to close .... firing at that range... well the team will learn very fast that is really NOT a good idea... the grenade will bounch off the armor because it did not have the time to arm itself....... IF I CAN i'll give you this suggestion... put the 2 guys with the RPG behind the rubbles running position A..... and find another guy on his knees with a molotov cocktail position B (for example)KQmJ76R.png....

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi Gregory
Well I thought this might come up - You are quite right - it would not have time to arm ... maybe I'll put it down to the compression of the scene in scale - well "creative license" - ,or as you say, put it down to the inexperience of the RPG team.
I am really trying not to have too many figures that need conversion (have had a lot of those lately) - if I can find one with a molotov cocktail that does not need massive conversion it would make a great addition and could maybe take the place of the rpg team.
In my mind that does bring additional concerns - a MC attack would prob be more dramatic if one or both of the BMP crew were visible ( I did not plan on this) - there are some great figures out there for that - but that will mean - well, more figures....
Staying with the technicalities - they are very important - keep 'em comming - do regular molotov coctkails work on modern AFVS? - I thought that the airintake for the engine somehow would be protected by some coutermeasure , or fire supression system - for what I've read the effect might be more psycological if hatches are secured .

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
.. Well molotov cocktails don't always work... but on a distracted crew... it can cause A LOT of damage... plus it's a great way to create a diversion.... so that the BMP will draw attention opposite of the side that you want to attack it...
and you can use this figure....
8164d44f3706150acc532e2af0d9627b.image.950x950.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is the chat section, you are just planing so all is well. I have though shortened the title a bit.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
This is the chat section, you are just planing so all is well. I have though shortened the title a bit.
Thanks, Ian

.. Well molotov cocktails don't always work... but on a distracted crew... it can cause A LOT of damage... plus it's a great way to create a diversion.... so that the BMP will draw attention opposite of the side that you want to attack it...
and you can use this figure....
View attachment 319701

Thanks Greg, for digging that one up - cheers :thumb2:

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Been mulling the above over for some weeks and I have come up with two scenes:

Scene I:
As described above I still feel that the narrative holds - if the area in front of the BMP is left without too many obstracles I figure that by the time the running RPG team has negotiated the rubble the BMP has moved a bit further down the road (outside the frame) and will be at a perfect range for the RPG to have time for arming before hitting. Problem is that the story overall is not really clear and might not be readily available for the viewer, I could of cause use be more direct in the story - telling by using a figure in a firing position with an PRG, aimed at the BMP (MAIM does one) but I have already done one such dio with an RPG team taking aim at an israeli Achzarit, and generally like the dynamics that the running figures bring to scene.
At shows you are allowed to add a description of the model and story, so maybe it's not a n issue.

Scene II:
Is inspired by Gregory's suggestion to add a Molotov C. It supposes the BMP being in a area deemed "under control" by the regime forces and the BMP crew feels safe enough to expose themselves and talk to regime forces on the ground. It removes the RPG team completely in favour of one or more rebels trhrowing a molotov from either rooftop or one of floors. - they could be accompanied by other rebels hidden in the buildings.
Tactically it must be considered a "last ditch " attempt to stem the tide by the rebels as the Regime troops on the ground would encircle the buildings and isolate the fighters in them.
Where as scene I's narrative is left a bit open - ended this one lends itself more readily to understanding and there's an inherent element of "danger" - it does not take much imagination by the viewer to relate to the horror of having burning gasoline thrown on a person.
JB48PfW.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Either one works for me as the figs look top notch. You could use all in scene two by extending multistory bldg. to provide cover. PaulE

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks guys
More thoughts on scene II:
I felt, that I was breaking the more or less established rule of composition , that tall items should be in the background, so I mulled some more and came up with this:

1RhW3Fy.jpg

I might not use all the figures -in fact I am warming to the idea of a lone boy on a rooftop in a last desperate act of defiance throwing the Molotov on the BMP - with or without the troops on the ground

Last edited:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
well the idea of 1 or 2 figures... "last stand" /"hope" with the boy and one other guy is very interesting...i like the idea of the dead guys...can't wait

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Cheers mates :smiling:
I am wondering if the "lone boy on a rooftop" - theme could work with just the tall building? - loosing the lower building would remove some of the "urban" feel I know, but the base is going to be pretty big - I'll post a layout later.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
The One - building - but sticking- with - the boy - throwing ...theme: :sick:

large base, building and BMP almost parallel to edge,

tPwyTlo.jpg

Same elements included in this one but building and BMP angled to edge and smaller base -might be hard pressed to include the mortar and barricade, casualty and other details in this one:
vRBGJdA.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steven, great ideas but don't be tempted to have too much going on. Keep it as simple as possible otherwise the eye will find it all too much to take in.

An immediate impact might be better.