boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

That looks really very nice. And strong enough to rotate and transport, it will look outstanding on the water.

John
HI John well its built that P/E RADAR but not really happy with it but it will have to do thanks for lookin in
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well done indeed. A labour of love and skill.
Jim
HI Jim well its built an it was a labour but not love an skill im just glad i managed to build it took me a week an cor talk about the nerves in case anything went wrong but i think i was lucky an thanks for stoppin till the next time
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
See, you nailed it.
Well done .
AN HI Ian well i had my doubts as even though i put down shiny selotape to stop it glueing to the board when i come to lift it off it wont move but thankfully i used a stanley knife blade to slide underneath it an thankfully it came free
chris an thanks for havin a lookin

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just caught up with this Chris. Great stuff on the etch....not the easiest of builds but you’ve sorted it no problem!
AN HI TIM yes i sorted it by the skin of me teeth but had a few worrying moments there as P/E is so fragile an ive had to strenghen it up as how the instrucions said build it it was fairly flimsy an this needs to be strong as its a workin model
an same to you cheers for lookin
chris

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris

Yet got behind and had a good catch up. This is not just serious modelling of the highest order, this is also some pretty serious engineering too.

ATB.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
AN HI Ian well i had my doubts as even though i put down shiny selotape to stop it glueing to the board when i come to lift it off it wont move but thankfully i used a stanley knife blade to slide underneath it an thankfully it came free
chris an thanks for havin a lookin
You need to get one of those HDPE kitchen cutting boards CA dont stick to that. In fact hardly any thing does. Im glad that you got it free though. I must admit that for something that big and delicate I might have gone for solder. There are some great solders that can be gotten from a good model railway shop (cant remember the name) on the interweb. They make several different melt point solders so you can start with the ones that melt at the highest temp and work down through to the low melt point ones. I have used them to great effect on large parts that need soldering in many close places.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

Yet got behind and had a good catch up. This is not just serious modelling of the highest order, this is also some pretty serious engineering too.

ATB.

Andrew
HI Andrew many thanks for your kind comments much appreiacaited an thank you for havin a look at the build of tiger
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Pretty in awe of this to be honest. If I knock something together half this good I'll consider I've done well.
WELL MR ConKers im pretty much in awe of the fine work you have done on your CUTTY SARK BRILLIANT moddeling as that ship would look beuatifull on the wet stuff very well done
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You need to get one of those HDPE kitchen cutting boards CA dont stick to that. In fact hardly any thing does. Im glad that you got it free though. I must admit that for something that big and delicate I might have gone for solder. There are some great solders that can be gotten from a good model railway shop (cant remember the name) on the interweb. They make several different melt point solders so you can start with the ones that melt at the highest temp and work down through to the low melt point ones. I have used them to great effect on large parts that need soldering in many close places.
AN HI Ian thank you for the info on that cutting board so where can i get one as ive never heard of this board ? an im in need of a new cutting board as my old green cutting mat is now had it as its got glue bumps all over an not a lot of good for my modeling an yes i would have loved to solder this radar but could not as it would melt the plastic gluein 1mm strips through heat an i thought about usein brass 2mm brass box section but it all too heavy as got to watch top wheight when building a ship an also the cost of brass is fairly high an i already had the 1mm sqaure plastic strips which are light not like brass Ian if you see what i mean BUT thank you for the idea but do you see my thinkin behind this also ?
chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Tesco do them for £2 in the kitchen department Chris.
Pete
AN cheers Pete i'll have a gander but do they do the 450 mm x 300 mm ?as i just looked on e bay an they are about over 12 quid a bit dear foe me an no hurry as jen has just gave me a chopping board the same size so i'll just cover it in sellotape an that will see me through untill i can see another board as if there is a wings an wheels show this yr will proberly get one there as i got mine for about 8 quid there
all best
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Would you say you've broken the 50% mark yet, taking into account paint and detailing etc?
t
AN HI Toby i suppose you mean how far along the model is well id say im at the about 50% mark of this build as there is so much i want to fit on an get working as this is the last big model i'll ever build as gettin on but it would go faster if i can get some warmer wheather so i can spray all the hulls an S/S as thats the main factor at the moment cant do several things untill its all sprayed up in its main colours so im doin just what i can do an cheers for stoppin
chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN many thanks pete for looking that up but im afraid its too small i need one in 300mm x 450mm as remember some of my bits im building on tiger are fairly big as thats what this model will be when finished just got to hope i can lift it but should be ok with jens help cheers all the same Pete
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Toby many thanks for finding this utube vid up as thats one i hav'nt seen before as there is not a lot on the web about tiger so a very well done from me for finding it you the man spot on again an i'll have good study of it as i just had a quick look through but this will help me no end on the buidls of my tiger cheers im very pleased Toby that you took the time to find it for me
cheers
all best
chris

Reactions: JR