boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, very nice work, this is looking great.
Great work Chris :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven
Many thanks Joe an Steven glad you like the build an cheers for your intrest in this build an I know ive been building the hull a long while now as its been such a difficult hull to build. An there is still a lot to do on it but once ive got the hull beat then the build will get more intresting with all the electronics an workin features so you wont be bored lookin at the same old hull build as its draining me but ive got to stick at it which I intend to do
CHEERS Chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris as someone who has spent years working with both wood and play you have made a fantastic job. I've been right back to the beging again to refresh , my word some most impressive woodworking.
Out of interest where do you get the play, as it looks very high quality.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris as someone who has spent years working with both wood and play you have made a fantastic job. I've been right back to the beging again to refresh , my word some most impressive woodworking.
Out of interest where do you get the play, as it looks very high quality.
Hi John sorry don't seem to know what you mean with play. Do you mean the ply wood if so THE MAIN marine ply what was used makin up the keel an hullframes was bought in a 8tf x 4ft sheet from Jewson wood company an the 1/32 nd marine ply to cover the hull comes from my local model shop an is very exspensive to buy.But if I want to build this ship that's what it will take an buyin a few bits at a time keeps the costs down an don't hit me to hard as this ship when its built will be quite an exspensive model an ive already got two model ship collectors askin me to give them first offer to buy it. But as I told them ive got to build it firstly an then I want to sail her for at least a couple of yrs but they say they are willing to wait so see what happens
all best chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL
thought it was time for an update on whats happening on her
an first pic I have spent a bit of dosh on some things she will need in her
firstly prop sharft tubes to be glassed in to hull so if I get a bering go in the sharft I just have to break the w/t seal an slide out the damaged sharft an two 16" inch for the inners an two 15" sharfts for the outers an 4 Johnson's motors an seven rudders but only one will be a rudder the other six will be cut down for stabilizer's as the ship has 3 stab each side more on these parts in a minuteIMG_4725.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
also came by postie today 4x 35mm 5bladed brass props an 4 x flashly red universal joints with the brass inserts one end with a allen screw to clamp down onto the motor sharft an one end with threaded to screw on to the prop sharft x4 IMG_4737.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN I treated myself to a 60 amp E.S.C. to run an control the all 4 motors an ive never had one of these before as its water cIMG_4676.JPGooled so I had to buy a water pump to flush water a round it better pic of it in nxt shot

• Wow
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here it is if you look at the right side of it you will see the water inlet tube an water outlet tube IMG_4679 - Copy (2).JPG

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Gordan Bennett Chris

Thats a lot of electrical gizmos!!!!!

Cannot but admire the skills !

Bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Pete yea it was I dear'nt look at my bank statement when it comes :cold-sweat: but its all got to be bought if I want this ship to work an sail an what you have seen so far is only about half of whats needed in her but thankfully ive bought most of what I will need in her but hav'nt had a chance to put it all out as I may frighten myself but there are still two major things to be bought an that's a 2.4 gig 8 channel r/c an two big 27 amp hr batts but that will be next yr

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Gordan Bennett Chris

Thats a lot of electrical gizmos!!!!!

Cannot but admire the skills !

Bob
HI Bob yes there is a few but a lot more to come to be put in her I only hope I can lift her when she's built:cold-sweat: ps we hope you feel better

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
NEXT up is the water pump its 12v to pump water around the E.S.C. to keep the unit cool while powerin 4x johnsons motors to propel the ship through the wet stuff IMG_4730.JPGIMG_4730.JPG

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Sorry double pic there now let see what'sIMG_4731.JPG nxt motor gearbox probely to power the seaking helo

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
here ive stripped down an old video player an took out all the big gears these will be to turn the gun turrets from R/C IMG_4734.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN too make sure I have enough rainbow ribbin wire I bought 5 mertes of it this will be soldered to two 44 pins electric plugs that will be fitted in the hull joint so that when I part the model in to two bits it will slide back nicely in each other an this will power all the servo's in the model (I hope if I can get it all in )IMG_4738.JPG

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hope your not colour blind!!
You might need a decent forklift:flushed:

Not to bad Chris, no change. Got docs Monday to see whats next, hoping he will support my hope for early retirement on ill health

Thanks Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
well that's enough of that for now back to the build I have spent all last wk making up all 8 bilge keel's these are fitted to ships to reduce rolling an it was a devil of a job to try an measure around the hull to get the all at the right angle as when I fit the 6 stabilizers 3 on each side of the ship an these will be all working IMG_4713.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Your better half must be really understanding to have something that big around the house lol

Coming along nicely Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hope your not colour blind!!
You might need a decent forklift:flushed:

Not to bad Chris, no change. Got docs Monday to see whats next, hoping he will support my hope for early retirement on ill health

Thanks Chris
YEA you my be right Bob i'll have to hire a forklift out I reckcon as I must admit she's feelin a bit wheithy now an sorry to hear you not feel better lets hope you get that retirement we got our fingers crossed for you