boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That sounds like a good idea Chris and with a computer TX you should be able to mix 2 channels to handle it. I don't know the TX you are using but with the 2.4 gig Spektrum TX I had you could mix all sorts for flying planes and helicopters.

Andy.
HI Andy cheers an the guys have thought up another idea that might work as ive bought the suppressors for the motors which you thought of many thanks for that Andy an i'll be fitting them tomorrow an the other idea is to take out both red wires that go to the ESC's an then fit a small 6v batt to power the R/X an try that
many thanks for your help Andy
cheers chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just out of interest Chris, have you run the motors in yet? I know these are bigger and more powerful, and consequently much more robust, but I used to give my railway motors about twelve hours total, six in each direction. To start with I ran them at quarter power for an hour, checking temperature all the time. I then ran them at half power for three to four hours, then three quarter power for the remainder. I also used to put a meter across the inputs to see what was happening. It is amazing how much the power requirements drop as the motor runs in. I would never run a motor at full power until I’d done this as they could be fragile and very easy to burn out. A bonus was that the loco was much more smooth running afterwards, and would slow run far easier.

HI Tim well i was thinkin of what you have said above an i thought well NUMBERS 1 AN 2 AN 4 MOTORS run ok but number 3 has always been a bit stiff to turn so drawin more amps power so i thought ok i jut fit the 40 meg R/C IN an let just no. 3 motor run on its own at about just above quater throttle to see if it would bed in an ran it for about 30 mins but the oppisite happened yesterday as just as well i sat an watchin it running as it started to make a low moaning sound an slowin down an then it started to catch fire as there was some smoke comin out so i quickley grabbed the R/C an took the tape off the throttle to hold it in postion as its spring loaded to return to centre off postion an remove batts terminals

SO this may be my problem why the BECC ESC's would not run but the jury is still out on that so ive ordered another two motors too have one spare so i'll see how things go when they come
chris ps i bet this is right up J/R street smoke an fire lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just a thought Chris, but looking at your pictures I dont see any suppressors on the motors unless they are built in. If not then perhaps that is causing electrical interference causing the ESC's to fluctuate.

Andy.
AN Andy ok i think you are right regards caps for suppression of inerferance as im grabbin at straws here to try an find a cure to the problems so i bought some suppressors all 12 as there should be three on each motor an well i soldered the first one accross the motor terminals but the caps wires would not solder to the outer motor casein as i tried ruffin it up with a file but no joy so now ive just got a cap accross the motor terminals only but in the destructions it says there is no need for these on the BECC system so i stil dont know so its goin to be a case of elelimination isnt it
but Andy cheers for your idea as thats what this forum is all about helping each other :thumb2:
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Guys well ive been at this BECC motors problem now for nr two weeks when i add all the time up that ive spent an now for the fith attempt ive found out that relay is not needed as it wont work with the BECC system an i have burnt out no'3 motor when tryin to let it run in on its own just over quater throttle as from the start it was a stiff turning motor an was pullin more amps to cause the ESC's too go into the self protetion mode so they shut down as Bob has said it may have been a tight bearing so thats out while i now wait for a new motor to come from howes an yesterday ive fitted it all back in in the same configeration as it was at the start an ive had three motors all running ok with out any cutouts so hopefully i may be gettin there just got to hope this BECC system will run now with the 4th motor in so a big ? MARK STILL HANGS OVER THIS INSTILLATION
hopefull chris ps if this still doent work ive still got some other avnues to try out

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
All that extra legwork to get it to work...and here we are worried that we don't glue something the wrong side up. :smiling6: I hope this and the other avenues work Christopher.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
All that extra legwork to get it to work...and here we are worried that we don't glue something the wrong side up. :smiling6: I hope this and the other avenues work Christopher.

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard yes its a lot of extra legwork to get it ALL to work or right an im getting frayed nerves now as ive never had all this trouble before on my other ships had a few range probs but that was easliy sorted with the 40 meg but ive never had this bloomin BECC SYSTEM before so all new to me an after all this tryin out an no sucsess good job ive a good supply of patience

as when this new motor turns up i'll be really nervous to switch it all on but for now i havnt fixed anthing down in case i have to move the ESC again but they worked NO'1 AN 2 AN 4 MOTORS ALL OK an no cut outs SO HERES HOPEIN on NO'3 THAT THEY ALL WILL WORK TOGEATHER an fair enough i exspected a few Teething PROBS but this is RIDICULOUS

but my mate richard said after i told him that the motor burnt out an he said well if its laid in the shop for a fair while the motors grease may have dreid up hence a stiff motor armature an i should have put a little oil on the shaft but well we live an learn but when this new motor comes i will turn the shaft to see if it stiff to turn an will oil it AN THEN SEE WHAT HAPPENS AN YOU AN ALL THE GUYS worried that you don't glue something the wrong side up. but to all you guys thats just as impotant to you all isnt it as if that happens then it may mess up your build SO IT STILL IMPORTANT an yes if this idea dont work then i hope other avenues work
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well had new motors arrive today an fitted a new motor in on no'3 an had partical sucseess as all four motors are running an no cut outs so im getting there but there is still a problem as the other motors run ok an hardly get warm but the new no' 3 was getting a lot hotter when only running about qauter throthell so i stopped it there an ive removed the motor mounts as i think they may be the problem so tomorrow i'll fit in new mountings an give it another go an i'll fit a coolin fan nr no'3 motor an see if that will make a difference
chris

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
HI GUYS well had new motors arrive today an fitted a new motor in on no'3 an had partical sucseess as all four motors are running an no cut outs so im getting there but there is still a problem as the other motors run ok an hardly get warm but the new no' 3 was getting a lot hotter when only running about qauter throthell so i stopped it there an ive removed the motor mounts as i think they may be the problem so tomorrow i'll fit in new mountings an give it another go an i'll fit a coolin fan nr no'3 motor an see if that will make a difference
chris
Good luck Chris, sounds like your on the right track now.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Good luck Chris, sounds like your on the right track now.
HI Mark i certainly hope so as this is getting ridiculous ive tried to get this right now on the fith attempt an still not right so more efforts tomorrow an i will fit in a coolin fan just on that motor as there are other cooling fans mounted in the aft funnell S/S an the air will be blue but this is NOT gonna beat me but will see how it goes tomorrow oh no got to go out tomorrow oh dear it will have to be friday Aaaaaaaagggghhhhhhh
CHRIS

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good luck with this Chris, it must be so annoying after all this hard work , keep the mo jo up though.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Good luck with this Chris, it must be so annoying after all this hard work , keep the mo jo up though.
OH HI John well im trying like this flamein no'3 motor is tryin lol but i feel as though im takin one step forwards an three back an as you say its so annoying after all this hard work but i'll keep at it till i get a solution as well at least ive now got all four motors running with out an cut outs so thats something in the right direcktion but why just that motor is overheating is just beyond beleive an its not the prop shaft as ive taken all of them out an regreased them an on that shaft ive left a 1mm play on the prop shaft so it not tight so to me it must be the motor mountings an they have now been drilled out an now ready for new mounting to be fitted friday OH DEAR
Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well SUCSESS at last ive been on this eletronics problem now nr 3 wks an this morn with a bit of help from a gent on mayhem ive fineally got all 4 motors running with out them cutting out an i ran them for about 15 mins at about half throttle an the new no'3 motor only got a bit warm like the others so as ive fitted some fans in in the rear funnell S/S it should now be ok but what i found causeing the trouble was a bad heavy duty switch as it had a lose connection inside the switch

which was not apparent at the time i checked it so another switch to fit an ive wired it up differnt to the destruckions an now ive had to remove the 2 red wires that fed the BECC so in realaitly ive done away with it an now the R/X is bein fed power from the main batt 12v but with a voltage reducer down to 6v an it all worked great from my new R/C an i can still cut power to the front
motors an run only on the rear ones if i want at the flick of a switch on my T/X

SO starting tomorrow i can start to wire it all in properly an then when its done then i can get on with the build HOORAY
Chris

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Chris,
Really happy you got to the bottom of it. There is nothing worse than trying to find a problem that doesn't want to be found. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hooray! ......and so he persisted.....
HI PaulE YEA GOT THERE in the end now to wire it all up correctly PHEW i never thought id get it done but thanks to a guy on mayhem who knows more than me an he was a great help as he has got a R/C like mine but a smaller vershion an he treid thing out on his R/C an then told me that what he told me would work ok but totally diffenrent to the instruckions as thats why i was a bundel of nerves switching it all on
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Really happy you got to the bottom of it. There is nothing worse than trying to find a problem that doesn't want to be found. Looking forward to seeing this progress.
YEA HI Scottie i feel completety frustated an shatterd but bloomin happy thanks to that gent on mayhem as with out his info i never would have treid to do what i have done on this BECC system as ive really broke every rule an threw the book away but it all goes ok
CHEERS Scottie
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thank god for that Chris. You can empty the swear skip now!

Really pleased all that head scratching has worked!!