boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I forgot to mention that I have also got to do the tedious business of pickin out all the bloomin plasticine so it can be all cleaned up inside an painted white
chris

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This work is really impressive. 4 motors/props sounds like a lot of tuning or are they very reliable in uniformity? PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
This work is really impressive. 4 motors/props sounds like a lot of tuning or are they very reliable in uniformity? PaulE
HI PaulE many thanks for your kind comments an glad you find the build impressive an yes the motors are very reliable in uniformity as they all will be controlled by one E.S.C .( eleltronic speed controller ) that is water cooled. But I have never used one of these E.S.C. before BUT ITS RATED at 60AMPS so a 60 amp inline fuse will be fitted it should be able to run an handle all the power consumption that these 4 motors require so I will see how it goes on that. As I normally use X 2 eletronice 30 AMPS E.S.C. so its one E.S.C. to power just two motors an another to control the other two but I cannot buy any more of these E.S.C. as the gentleman who makes them has retired an he has to my info closed down so hence the new super water cooled E.S.C. anyway I hope you understand my long winded exsplanation an many thanks for your intrest in this build
all best chris

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Chirs

I really look forward to your updates. LIke everybody, I've seen big and small RC ships but never knew what the actual building process is or the issues you have to overcome so it's great to follow an aspect of our hobby which I know virtually nothing a out, but I am learning with each of your posts - not that I have any intention of following in your footsteps!

Great work

Peter

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chirs

I really look forward to your updates. LIke everybody, I've seen big and small RC ships but never knew what the actual building process is or the issues you have to overcome so it's great to follow an aspect of our hobby which I know virtually nothing a out, but I am learning with each of your posts - not that I have any intention of following in your footsteps!

Great work

Peter
HI Peter im pleased that you look forward to the updates on the build of tiger an that you are enjoying reading the threads an i'll say this there is so much more to come as this will proberly be my last build so im gonna push the boat out as the sayin goes an fit as much in the build like workin features as possible so far what has been built is the tip of the ice berg you might say so we see how it goes but im enjoying all the challanges that are comin up on this build an many thanks for your intrest an very kind comments all best to you
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just taken a quick look through the thread Chris. Superb progress. This will be one helluva model when complete. Keep up the great work. I know (from my own experience) that long projects such as these can have an ebb and flow of enthusiasm but keep on trucking IT WILL BE SENSATIONAL when complete!!!

Looking forward to the progress. Add one to the audience for this awesome build!

Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Paul glad you like the build an yes ive got high hopes for this build but the main thing is im enjoyin doin it as im retired an im not just gonna sit in front of the tv an veggitate. Doin some more today on her so lookin forward to that an lookin forward to your tank build as well an i always like to look at all the builds all the guys do on this forum as i think its the best one goin just my opinion though
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris, it just gets better and better, those prop shafts and the jig you made were brillent.
60 amp fuse ! Wow that's some rating, I know it's radio controlled, but how big are the batteries ?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You've got a lot done on this since I last looked it.
HI Ken yea ive been stickin at the build as I want to get it done within 5 yrs or so or it will never get done as there is still so much to do eg. fittin in eletrics an all the workin gadgets like radars an lights an if poss workin gun turrets an guns elevatin an more that will come to me when I think it all up ( oh my brain hurts ) LOL
:smiling::smiling::smiling: Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, it just gets better and better, those prop shafts and the jig you made were brillent.
60 amp fuse ! Wow that's some rating, I know it's radio controlled, but how big are the batteries ?
AN hello John yes 6o amp fuse must be fitted in the fuse box to protect that new E.S.C. thats water cooled as it was very exspensive an i dont want to blow it up like one of my boaty mates did to his he still curses himself for that but as he said well you live an learn but i dont want to learn the hard way like he did an now how big will the batts be well im hopein to fit two 22Ah size 181mm x167mm x76mm wheight each will be 6.5kg as the batt wheight wil be the ballast to make her sit at her proper depth at the water line but this is all approx an i wont be buyin them till ive done all the water pressure test in the test tank so still a lot to learn as remember this is a new hull design to me an i wont know how it will behave untill ive done severall test in the test tank i hope you see what i mean it could sink LOL
all best chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Chris, looking fwd to the tests then !

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris, looking fwd to the tests then !
YEA I am John an there will be severall test in the test tank eg. 1st a pressure test to see weather the hull leaks under pressure as the hull will be overloaded on her W/L an she will be left in the water for 3hrs cause if no water in her hull by then she will pass but so far all the models ive built have a tiny leak somewhere which is easyly cured by pourin resin into the affected erea . 2nd test will be stability she must be pulled over to 45 degrees an let go an she must right herself within 5 rolls if not then a counter balance wheight will need to be fitted to the half inch of exsposed keel that I designed into her when I cut out the keel. 3rd test hull joint strength with batts fitted in the hull an with the jen's help the hull must then be lifted gently out of the water an then given a severe jolt an then listen for any crackin sounds if there is then I will need to pour some more resin into the hull floor right where the batts will be against the hull joint to give it extra strength but so far all my models have passed this test with only a small amount of resin fitted in the hull nr the joint in the first place .BUT THERE IS ALWAYS A FIRST TIME isn't there. Ive been told by my boaty chums that I over test my models BUT when I build a model I exspect it to last at least 20 yrs or so an its proven as my friend has got my HMS EDINBUGH TYPE 42 DESTROYER that I built back in 2002 an he still sails her up at Norwich pond so I think im justified to do my testing well that's it sorry to bore you all with the test details
chris

D

Deleted member 7237

YEA I am John an there will be severall test in the test tank eg. 1st a pressure test to see weather the hull leaks under pressure as the hull will be overloaded on her W/L an she will be left in the water for 3hrs cause if no water in her hull by then she will pass but so far all the models ive built have a tiny leak somewhere which is easyly cured by pourin resin into the affected erea . 2nd test will be stability she must be pulled over to 45 degrees an let go an she must right herself within 5 rolls if not then a counter balance wheight will need to be fitted to the half inch of exsposed keel that I designed into her when I cut out the keel. 3rd test hull joint strength with batts fitted in the hull an with the jen's help the hull must then be lifted gently out of the water an then given a severe jolt an then listen for any crackin sounds if there is then I will need to pour some more resin into the hull floor right where the batts will be against the hull joint to give it extra strength but so far all my models have passed this test with only a small amount of resin fitted in the hull nr the joint in the first place .BUT THERE IS ALWAYS A FIRST TIME isn't there. Ive been told by my boaty chums that I over test my models BUT when I build a model I exspect it to last at least 20 yrs or so an its proven as my friend has got my HMS EDINBUGH TYPE 42 DESTROYER that I built back in 2002 an he still sails her up at Norwich pond so I think im justified to do my testing well that's it sorry to bore you all with the test details
chris
Hi Chris not boring at all the opposite actually very interesting I bet there's not many people on here that know how to test model boats of that size and as for over testing it's yours and all that work could be for nothing could be possible to have pictures of the test.
Pete.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris not boring at all the opposite actually very interesting I bet there's not many people on here that know how to test model boats of that size and as for over testing it's yours and all that work could be for nothing could be possible to have pictures of the test.
Pete.
HI Pete yes I will show some pics of the tests when it happens but it wont be before some time nxt year as she has got to have about 6 coats of primer paint then about 3 coats of the top colours eg. 3 coats of spray red anti foul on the hull bottom then 3 coats on the top of the hull in humbroll spray matt light grey no64
then the matt black water line painted on her then the penant no.s C 20 fitted on the hull then draught marking an then about 4 coats of clear matt varnish if I can still get it to make her paint work more proof against the water pressure as she cuts through the waves. but im stuck on her at the moment now as she really needs to have another sprayin of primer on the hull but cant do this as its to cold to spray at the moment so until it gets warmer
no can do so i'll have to do some work on her stabilizer's an rudder eg. sandin them all down only 6 stabs an 1 rudder to do so that should keep me busy for a while then i'll start tryin to work on her eletrics to see where things are gonna go BOY I ONLY HOPE IM STILL SANE AT THE END OF THIS :smiling::smiling::smiling:LOL
chris

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7237

HI Pete yes I will show some pics of the tests when it happens but it wont be before some time nxt year as she has got to have about 6 coats of primer paint then about 3 coats of the top colours eg. 3 coats of spray red anti foul on the hull bottom then 3 coats on the top of the hull in humbroll spray matt light grey no64
then the matt black water line painted on her then the penant no.s C 20 fitted on the hull then draught marking an then about 4 coats of clear matt varnish if I can still get it to make her paint work more proof against the water pressure as she cuts through the waves. but im stuck on her at the moment now as she really needs to have another sprayin of primer on the hull but cant do this as its to cold to spray at the moment so until it gets warmer
no can do so i'll have to do some work on her stabilizer's an rudder eg. sandin them all down only 6 stabs an 1 rudder to do so that should keep me busy for a while then i'll start tryin to work on her eletrics to see where things are gonna go BOY I ONLY HOPE IM STILL SANE AT THE END OF THIS :smiling::smiling::smiling:LOL
chris
Hi Chris the jury is still out on the last comment :smiling5::tongue-out2::tongue-out3:.
Pete.