boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking great Chris, can't really guarantee popping in here as often as I'd like, but will catch up as and when I can

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looking great Chris, can't really guarantee popping in here as often as I'd like, but will catch up as and when I can
OK Gerry no probs just pop on when you can as the build will still be goin as there is still a heck of a lot to fit to her
ATB
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

Marvelous stuff can't wait to see those guns rotating and elevating. Meantime I thought you would enjoy this. An old photo of some models used on a movie.

View attachment 453826

John
HI John nice to see you on here an yes be nice to see the guns turrets working but at the moment ive only got a few vauge ideas goin round in me head as ive ordered a 1/16th tank turret gear ring to turn the big front 6 inch gun turret as the small 3 inch turret will work off this if possible as ive severall big gears in me cuboard

but wheather the gears will smesh properly is goin to be a hit or a miss job an ive been thinking the gear box may be too big so im thinking of ordering a gear ring with the gears tooths on the inside of the gear ring so i can then fit the sail winch servo directly below the main turret an this will save on space but many thanks for the pic an do you know what movie these ships models were in ?
ATB
Chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
They look a bit larger than 1/72 scale.
YEA Rick i bet these ship models are 20 ft long an too big for me but a big model on the water looks more realistic than a small one as they bob about to much but hopefully tiger is big enough to look realistic an it wont bob about due to her wheight just got to hope we can lift her when she is finished
ATB
chrisb

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
In 1907 Teddy Roosevelt decided to show the world the US was now a naval world power by circumnavigating the globe with a fleet of sixteen battleships plus six destroyers & auxiliaries. They were all painted stark white, the naval peacetime colors, visiting many ports during the 14 month voyage. The secondary purpose was to show a restive Japan the US was a force to be reckoned with. This was a huge unprecedented planning & logistical effort at the time, and a great success both abroad & at home.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
In 1907 Teddy Roosevelt decided to show the world the US was now a naval world power by circumnavigating the globe with a fleet of sixteen battleships plus six destroyers & auxiliaries. They were all painted stark white, the naval peacetime colors, visiting many ports during the 14 month voyage. The secondary purpose was to show a restive Japan the US was a force to be reckoned with. This was a huge unprecedented planning & logistical effort at the time, and a great success both abroad & at home.
COR PaulE cheers for that info dint know that something else ive learned today cheers
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
Seeing the helicopter on the deck makes you realise just what a big ship she is. Great to see pictures of the whole thing. As always I'm in awe of your skills.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
Seeing the helicopter on the deck makes you realise just what a big ship she is. Great to see pictures of the whole thing. As always I'm in awe of your skills.
Jim
HI Jim yes she is big just got to hope i can get her to the pond without breaking something on her but the chopper comes off an will be in its own box so that should be safe but other things well we will just have to be carefull an fingers crossed job an yes she does look good all togeather as 90% of the time shes in bits standing in my model room but when she done she will be all put togeather on a unit in the livin room an norfolk will go on a shelf in my model room so its all workedout where they will go an many thanks for your kind comments on her
cheers chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Chris

I think it is from a movie about the battle of Tsushima in 1904, not certain though

John
I’d guess at that as well John. The ship in the foreground looks like the IJN pre Dreadnought Mikasa which was the flagship of Admiral Togo during the battle.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think it’s this film…
You can see the ships in the last few seconds of the clip.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another clip of the film here,but it’s just men looking fierce and serious.