boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well im very happy with how it all works ok so I though while ive got the bench clear i'll have a look at what ive got so far for my efforts so I put her all togeather an
yes there is a bigspace between the super struckersures but that where the twin funnels will be an the ships crane an small boats that she carryies an it took all my time to get her in the viewer of the camera as she is now a big girl i only hope i can lift her with jens help of course IMG_5319.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
well that's that im very pleased with her so far so what next well I cant carry on with the hangar as im waiting for some screws to come off ebay so sittin an studyin the plans I think this is up next an im gonna take it slow an easy the foremast as I want to get the two radars goin on this as well an the anti collishion lights an the steamin lights so a lot of planning got to be done here 5 views of what ive got to build just got to hope I don't get the shakes as I don't know wheather to solder it all or super glue it all togeather will have a think on that
IMG_5323.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like you have your work cut out for you on that mast assembly.........for what it's worth, I'd go with solder. A lot stronger and will stand the test of time. Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looks like you have your work cut out for you on that mast assembly.........for what it's worth, I'd go with solder. A lot stronger and will stand the test of time. Rick H.
HI Rick yes im goin to enjoy the challenge of building this foremast an yes i''ll proberly go with soldering although I built a big 4 inch radar scanner from brass an super glued it togeather an that was 20yrs ago an its still ok as it on my ex hms Edinburgh that my friend has got an its still ok
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Christopher, to me this is rocket science and a huge difference from my static builds. Very interesting and an eye opener. She is a beauty from the shots you have just taken. At what point do you do a water test for bouyancy and draught of the hull also the amount of ballast needed?

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Christopher, to me this is rocket science and a huge difference from my static builds. Very interesting and an eye opener. She is a beauty from the shots you have just taken. At what point do you do a water test for bouyancy and draught of the hull also the amount of ballast needed?

Cheers,
Richard

HI Richard nice to see you on here an you say this is rocket science an yes I must admit that its a little complex an glad you like her as I think she is when built a very hansom ship an has nice lines about her.
Ive always liked her since i was a kid as i had an airfix model of her in 1/700 scale but as the gun cruiser not the helo carrier an in all my dreams i never thought id build her in this scale but well its happening.

An you have asked At what point will I do a water test for bouyancy and draught of the hull also the amount of ballast needed ? WELL Richard THATS A VERY GOOD QUESTION as these need doin FIRSTLY list below

1.Ive still got to spray her HULL about 5 more coats of grey primer when i can get an afford several more 500 ml spray tins to protect the hull from the water pressure as remember this hull is like my Nimitz hull plywood as nr thin as a thick paper 1/32nd thick

2. ive still got to seal all 4 prop shafts in with thread lock so they wont leak an i wont do this till im ready to put her in the water as when im liftin her back end around to build on her hull it very easy to catch the prop shafts on something an damage them so i may have to remove one as im gettin a bit clumsy in me old age lol but it can happen

3. The water induckion pipes x 2 still have to be fitted in the hull for water intake to cool that fancy E.S.C. to run an control all four electric motors as ive never used one of these before an it was very exspenive so got to be carefull with this unit an still got to drill another hole in the hull for the WATER to pass out of the ship after its been through the E.S.C.

4. Ive still got too fit in the hull all 6 stabilizers an their rubber mountins to seal against leaks in the hull an they will be cut to size with a diaomon cutter in my dremel

5. Still to fit rubber mountin for an to fit the huge rudder

6. fit in the bow thruster to its mounting

7.An ballast needed well im plannin to fit in X 2 big 20amp hr batts as they will weigh a good weight an one will fit in the front hull section near the hull jiont an to power all the eletrics an one to fit in the rear hull section again near the hull jiont to power all 4 motors an hopefully give plenty of running time but wont know untill they are running when sailin as when the ship is in the water the motors will draw more power as there will be loadin on the props

Well Richard I hope that exsplains all that still got to be done on her before she can go near any water as this will be an exspensive model when done as ive got colletors wantin to buy her so gotto be carefull on her but havin said that so far ive really enjoyed the build here to the about the next 3 to 4 yrs of build as im in no hurry
AN THANKS for lookin in an your questions but all whats been said has got to happen
ATB STAY SAFE
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oh dear...looks like I have to store away the champagne to launch her down the gangway. Thanks for the answers Christopher.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Oh dear...looks like I have to store away the champagne to launch her down the gangway. Thanks for the answers Christopher.

Cheers,
Richard
HI Again Richard well i have been sayin this is gonna be a long build in the thread an your champers will taste better if it been standin another 3 to 4 yrs lol ;):cool:
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
She’s really taking shape now. Still seems like an incredible amount of work to go yet though!
Cheers
P

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
She’s really taking shape now. Still seems like an incredible amount of work to go yet though!
Cheers
P
HI Paul yes you are right at the moment id say she is about a third built so two thirds more yet to come as in most of my models like this they will be 3 maybe 4 yr builds if not longer that's the reason why this is my last build as by the time I finish this i'll be to old to start another
ATB chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

Cheers,
Richard
HI again Richard an I forgot that as well she has got to have about 50 portholes all fitted into the hull all fitted with glass in them as I done a test with one porthole an punched out a round circle of a clear plasti glass sheet an fitted it with the porthole facein down an droped in the clear plastiglass an then poured in that clear glue an let it set hard an it came up in the porthole a nice clear glass so that still has to be done on her as well before she goes in the water
chris

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Christopher,
She is certainly looking the part now. I am eagerly awaiting the building of the mast.