boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI TONY nice to hear from you an what little parts are you on about that clip in place ?
CHRIS

I am talking about the large brass radar kit, rain coming in this after noon don't think I get a chance working in the shed. bought some magnet strips to stick in the battery drill tool box to hold the the screw driver bits in place, bought some more yesterday.

Going to work on the second bulkhead so I can join up all the hull sections together what a site that will be.

IMG_5418.JPG

Take care Tony.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI TONY nice to hear from you an what little parts are you on about that clip in place ?
CHRIS
(TONY QUOTE)
I am talking about the large brass radar kit,

OK Tony well the large radar will be built with two siver collets an they tighten up by allen key fitted in it top an bottom of the radar to keep it sqaure on the main sharft pic of one below IMG_5431.JPG

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Chris.
Progressing well.
Will you be soldering that radar pe ?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Evening Chris.
Progressing well.
Will you be soldering that radar pe ?
HI EVENING to you as well John an im not really sure about solderin the radar as its biggee over 4 inches wide an may super glue it as i super glued a big 1022 radar on my HMS EDINBURGH over 20 yrs ago an its still ok as my boaty mate bought it off me an he still sails her so solder or s-glue i will see when im ready an thanks for your intrest ATB STAY SAFE
chris

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
HI EVENING to you as well John an im not really sure about solderin the radar as its biggee over 4 inches wide a may super glue it as i super glued a big 1022 radar on my HMS EDINBURGH over 20 yrs ago an its still ok as my boaty mate bought it off me an he still sails her so solder or s-glue i will see when im ready an thanks for your intrest ATB STAY SAFE
chris
Interesting that you say that about using CA and it lasting that long on your HMS Edinburgh. Sounds good to me not bothering about soldering then .

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
CHRIS
(TONY QUOTE)
I am talking about the large brass radar kit,

OK Tony well the large radar will be built with two siver collets an they tighten up by allen key fitted in it top an bottom of the radar to keep it sqaure on the main sharft pic of one below View attachment 392480
Hi Chris, looks like you have to send update pics of the radar kit progress build, where that nut goes did the radar set come with the plans..

Take care Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Interesting that you say that about using CA and it lasting that long on your HMS Edinburgh. Sounds good to me not bothering about soldering then .
HI John regards that big brass p/e radar well i ive been havin a good think about how to build it an ive put on a pic below of what its like an its fairly complicaited how to go about this as if you look at the radar from the back view which the pic shows its made up of 8 box sections.

Now im thinkin that if i build it firstly then try an paint it as i will be usein rattle cans sprays an the paint come out fairly thickly its goin to be a hard job to spray paint inside the box sections an if i do try i think it will clog up all the tiny smesh so thats no good.

So my idea to build this is lay out the whole p/e sheet on the bench makin sure it dead flat an gently rub it down both sides with a very fine sand paper so it wont scratch it an then lightly spray both side of the p/e radar sheet then leave for a couple of days to let the paint harden.

Then i will cut out the parts an lookin at the plans gently rub off the paint on the edges of the brass parts an then super glue the parts togeather as if i use a solderin iron the heat from the iron will melt or burn off the paint as i do not have a iron where the heat can be turned up or down so to me thats the best way to go on this but i will try it out on another spare brass smesh firstly i hope that makes sence pic of said unit below pic below for discussion purposes onlyport-557 (1).jpg

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, looks like you have to send update pics of the radar kit progress build, where that nut goes did the radar set come with the plans..

Take care Tony
AN HI Tony yes as its a complex build this radar an instruckions sheet pic below an yes all that brass rod came ok so i can build all the mast gantrys an fit all led's
chrisIMG_5432.JPG

Last edited:
  • Wow

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN back to you John this is the spare radar that im goin to prIMG_5434.JPGactise on before the bigee 1/72 scale an its a 1/96 SCALE 965 AKE-I the same radar but smaller against my hand you can see the size of it an i'll proberly learn a lot of lessons on how not to build it so that i dont make the same mistakes on the big 1/72 scale (phew i feel pooped already ) as this is gonna involve a lot of head sratchin as Bob said better me than him lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN SO it can be seen the sheer size of this 1/72 965 AKE-1 RADAR another shot of it again against my hand an wrist an ive never built one this big before so a learning curve comin up on this i only hope i dont get the shakes when buildin this as it was v-exspensive chrisIMG_5433.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS a little update on what ive been doin on her
an i'll have to leave that radar scanner for a bit as i need to get some very fine grade sand paper to take the shine off that P/E .So i thought id have a little go at the lights on the main mast as this is the easyiest one
here a shot of it with the cross member just laid out to get a general idea of how it will look IMG_5436.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN so i can fit this in an all the lights ive had to strip it all down to bits so that i can get all the wires down inside the mast in a tube so they dont get caught up on the radar shaft IMG_5447.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN the first light fitted in the mast the rear running light 3mm white IMG_5449.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
The great work continues. I don't envy you with the radar assembly but your just the man to take it on.
AN HI Scottie nice to see you an hope you are well an yes that radar is gonna be a head scratcher i'll proberly be a nervous wreck by the time i build it as i was gonna start on it while i was in the mood but i had no really fine grit smooth sandpaper as that shine on the P/E has got to go or the spray paint will come off but im gonna get some this wk end hopefully ps Scottie an i hope you are right about me bein just the man but well shall see as im havin a practise on the small 1/96 one to see how many mistakes i make an make sure i dont repeat them on the big one
ATB chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN AFTER fittin in the runnin light nxt up was the fittin of the 2mm red anti collishion leds an this was a bit tricky as i wanted to run the wirein along inside the 2mm brass box section an it worked out fine thank goodness a few shots of it happening.Firstly in the brass cross member i had to use my dremel to grind off half an inch of the bottom so that as i feed the wirein through it will come out inside the mast IMG_5438.JPG