boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
NOW this comin sat the paint should be harden on the hulls then i will prep her to have about a hundered brass port holes all fitted with their own glass an the glass comes out so the portholes can be fitted into the hulls an spray painted in the top coat accrilic grey an then the glass all refitted into them IMG_5556.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An now today my new R/C 14 channell complete with FAIL-SAFE has actually come
so i will have plenty of channels to work things on my tiger just got to hope ican understand how to work it as its a bit complex the box firstly IMG_5560.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
So now ive got that only other main thing i need is the two big batts to power her an i'll proberly get them nxt yr
chris

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Sooooooooooooooooo much paint. Must be 5mm thick by now lol
Big project. Big paint bill. Big effect at the end I bet!
T

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Sooooooooooooooooo much paint. Must be 5mm thick by now lol
Big project. Big paint bill. Big effect at the end I bet!
T
HI Toby yea its got to have loads of layeres of paint an then varnish when the top paint coats are applieded to protect the hull against water wear when the ship reaches hull speed as water wears things quickly an yea big paint bill as ive yet to spray all the super struckure an such but thankfully i think i have still got enough to finish her an yea lets hope for a big effect when she is finished in about 4yrs or so maybe quicker but i wouldnt bet on it but thanks for lookin in on the build
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Chris, i’ve told you before, you can’t play with your boats in the bath! Lol Not that Tiger would fit in there! Those shots really make you appreciate the shear size of this model. Awesome!

14 channels! That’s going to take some serious hand-to-eye coordination. Looking good though mate and i’m sure you’ll use every one of those channels with the amount of whistles and bells you have on this gargantuan build!

Cheers
Paul

D

Deleted member 3568

Not looked in for a while(sorry) wow you've progressed so much and it's all looking great.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hey Chris, i’ve told you before, you can’t play with your boats in the bath! Lol Not that Tiger would fit in there! Those shots really make you appreciate the shear size of this model. Awesome!

14 channels! That’s going to take some serious hand-to-eye coordination. Looking good though mate and i’m sure you’ll use every one of those channels with the amount of whistles and bells you have on this gargantuan build!

Cheers
Paul
HI Paul mate well if i cant play with me boats in the bath how about me rubber duck then lol :smiling: an yea she is comin on soon it will be detailning time as thats when it makes the model more instresting but its been a battle with these hulls now a yr an a half since i have started it an now im itchin to fit them brass portholes as they will really set her off hopefully will start fittin them this saterday as hull paint should be harden enough then an yes im goin to have some fun fittin in all the gizzmos to make full use of all the channel 's on the R/C how goes your panzer done all your camo yet ? thanks for lookin in
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Not looked in for a while(sorry) wow you've progressed so much and it's all looking great.
thanks ken yea ive got to keep goin as if i leave her i'll lose the mojo on her then she will be static an how much dosh ive invested in her i cant afford to let that happen
cheers to you ken
chris

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
14ch R/C - wow! You will need to grow a few more hands to control that lot :thinking:

That photo next to the bath really shows the size of this build - amazing Chris

Love the portholes - really is a shame they have to be painted

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great progress Chris. You are a real craftsman and this build is showing that to perfection.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
14ch R/C - wow! You will need to grow a few more hands to control that lot :thinking:

That photo next to the bath really shows the size of this build - amazing Chris

Love the portholes - really is a shame they have to be painted

HI Si yea i think you are right i'll have to have a few more arms an hands fitted on lol :smiling: :smiling: :smiling: but seriously all the main ship funktions will be fitted onto the R/C sticks.

An all the step switches an the two rotary switches will only controll things like accessoryies eg. radars' smoke unit if i can get one' sound unit whooper battle alarm' diferent lights ' heloicopter' water pump ' hangar bay lights' helo deck flood lights' an main flood lighting over the whole ship as i ve now bought about 100 white ultrabright leds to flood light the ship for shows an i cant think of any more at the moment but there will proberly be more as i think of them.

An yea she is gonna be a bit big lol but normaly there is plenty of people who cant wait to get there hands on it so should be no problem lifting her into the wet stuff as they like to get into other peoples photos.
An regards the brass portholes yes its a shame about painting them grey but if i dont she will look like an ocean liner an i cant have that as she is part of the grey funnel line
anyway thanks for lookin in on the build Si an i hope you finish that figure build with that mad wabbit ?
all best
chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Great progress Chris. You are a real craftsman and this build is showing that to perfection.

AN hi Tim dont know about a real craftsman but its really nice of you to say so many thanks an i hope you like the build so far but there is still so much to do on her an still a lot can go wrong so planning ahead is a must for this build as ive no intruckions to tell me what to do next so thinkin ahead is critical an ive been having thoughts on how im gonna fit all these portholes as the glass pushes out one way only (outwards) .

As i planned to take out the porthole glass an then fit the portholes into the hull an then spray paint the matt light gray top coat but puttin on the brakes here as if i do them this way then i wont get the glass back into the portholes as the the glass is a very tight fit an with the paint thickness on them puttin the glass in just wont go.

So solution is to leave the glass in an then paint the glass over with humbroll maskol as i find thats very good then spray the hull an when dry then remove the maskol an hopefully this will all work out fingers an legs an toes crossed lol
An again thanks for stoppin an havin a look in
all best chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS time for another update on what ive been workin on an its still them masts an im really pleased at how they have turned out as really these masts are model themselve in their own right i think an i will be leavieng them now till winter time to finish them off as they are nr finished an i now ant to get on with the hulls before the cold wheather gets here if i dont i wont be able to paint spray them in their top coat colours till nxt yr now a few pics of that front mast an i sweated buckets hopein i dint brake them while building them IMG_5564.JPG

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Gordan Bennett Chris, thats a model by itself!!

Always amazed by your skill!!