boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wishful thinking JR! :tongue-out3: .......looks like you have quite a bit of velocity pushing steam up that funnel......are both fans operational or just the 40mm? Rick H.

AN HI Rick yea J/R got all excited at the prospect of a fire only to be dissapointed at steam again HAHA oh dear poor ole John an regards your question Rick

about fan velocity pushing steam up that long funnel pipe well no the 40mm fans are not fitted yet what you are seeing is the small 25mm fan fitted in the steam unit houseing doing the job but as there is hardly any S/S on the hull it is getting pleny of air but when i put all the S/S on an the decks

its gonna limit the 25mm 3v fan for air suckion as the steam unit is deep in the hull thats why im fitting in the 40mm fans on the top of 02 deck to blow down more air to help the 25mm inbuilt fan but with this 14 channel R/C i hope to have it so that so that i can switch it on an off the 40mm fan if i want to to save power i think i'll need a nuke in here to power all that i want to work lol as when i come to wire all this up its gonna be out with the headacke tablets but if i can get half working what i want it will be an achement thanks Rick for your qeustion as i had to think about this but it will all come together an work its just gonna take time an lots of it
ATB
Chris

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Chris!!
Only saw this tonight and i`ve spent quite some time reading up on it all...... although i admit,not EVERY of the 93 pages:flushed: !!
Cracking stuff indeed Sir,i`m in awe at the sheer size of the thing!!
Top work!!
Andy

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris!!
Only saw this tonight and i`ve spent quite some time reading up on it all...... although i admit,not EVERY of the 93 pages:flushed: !!
Cracking stuff indeed Sir,i`m in awe at the sheer size of the thing!!
Top work!!
Andy
HI Andy im really glad you like the build an yes it is a bit big an yes its a big blog but this ship build is only about half way an there is a lot more to come on this an i hope you will continue to follow the build as for me this is my last build so im makeing the most of it as gettin to old to build another an thank you for looking in
ATB Chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's a shame Chris that this may be the last ship build of this size.:crying:
All that skill, very sad .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That's a shame Chris that this may be the last ship build of this size.:crying:
All that skill, very sad .
HI John :thinking: yes it is very sad as i am :thinking: that also but :thinking: ive had a good run over the last 30yrs or so ive managed to build an HMS TIGER is my 8th ship list below
1. scratch build semi scale small USS NIMITZ model that sailed an 6ft long
2. HMS AMAZON F169 TYPE 21 FRIGATE in 1/64 TH SCALE an that sailed an 6ft long
3.HMS YORK D98 TYPE 42 SRETCHED BATCH 3 DESTROYER also in 1/64 SCALE an that sailed an it was 7 FT 6INCHES long
4. HMS CAMBELTOWN F86 TYPE 22 FRIGATE in 1/72 scale an that sailed an was 7ft 3inches
5.HMS EDINBURGH D97 SRETCHED BATCH 3 DESTROYER also in 1/64 SCALE an that sailed an it was 7 FT 6INCHES long
6. AN THE BIG ONE USS NIMITZ CVN 68 in 1/144 th SCALE an that sailed ok an lenght was nr 9ft
7. HMS NORFOLK F230 TYPE 23 FRIGATE in 1/72 scale an that sailed ok lenght 6ft
8.AN W.I.P. HMS TIGER C20 BATTLE CRUISER an HEILCOPTER CARRIER lenght 8ft
SO all in all not a bad effort John an ive enjoyed all the builds an still enjoying myself so im happy an TIGER will keep me busy till my twylight yrs but you cant beat time im afaid an its running out
ATB to you
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s quite a tally. How on earth did you move the nine foot Nimitz around Chris?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That’s quite a tally. How on earth did you move the nine foot Nimitz around Chris?
HI Tim well i just cut it in half so two four an a half ft sections to lift an with jens help it was fairly easy an i bought a new mazda 6 hatchback with a special seatin arrangement so that when i folded the back seats down the front part of the seats all slid forward thats how mazda designed it so that the seat when folded down it was perfectly level an bein a long car had plenty of room so then we just lifted the back end of nimitz an laid it in a small cradle an then we turned the lighter front end upside down an i laid some form over the flat deck an then placed the front end down onto the bottom back seckion as the small S/S LIFTED OFF an so did all the 54 planes an they got placed in special padded boxes so they wont get broke
hows that Tim best i can exsplain it AN THANK YOU FOR TAKING AN INTREST
ATB CHRIS

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Chris, I’m almost disappointed that you didn’t take her around in one piece on a roof rack.....that would have drawn some looks......

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cheers Chris, I’m almost disappointed that you didn’t take her around in one piece on a roof rack.....that would have drawn some looks......
WELL Tim funny you mention that as i had a freind who was living in cork in ireland a few yrs ago as he was on my other warship foreum an he contacted me as he was also building a big 10ft long carrier an that was USS ENTRERPRISE as she is about 10ft longer than NIMITZ in real life

an the chap said to me how do you manage to transport my NIMITZ an i told him to cut a long story short an he said to me well ive built my carrier in one bit an boy did he live to regret it as he also had to fit his carrier on a roofrack on his car an just tryin to lift it up on to his roofrack he could not do it so he had to get some help which is not always avaleible

but he did it an when he drove down the motorway to the pond to sail it he found when he got there that he had lost the flightdeck as it had blown off some where so that was a no no on the roofrack an he contacked me an asked if he could visit me to see how i had done my NIMITZ hull jiont to make it water proof an yes he came over as he had some family down south an he had a look at my CARRIERS H/J an asked me if he could copy the idea an i said yea no worries but wheather he did i dont know as i lost contact with him after that SO Tim now you know why its no good on a roofrack
hope you liked what happened but true this is
ATB CHRIS

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Chris, what a novel looking dehumidifier :smiling6:
Its full steam ahead now that your smoke works.
Make this your best as you say its your last large scale ship. Hope you make smaller boats when you retire.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris

Yet again some simply stupendous work.

ATB.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, what a novel looking dehumidifier :smiling6:
Its full steam ahead now that your smoke works.
Make this your best as you say its your last large scale ship. Hope you make smaller boats when you retire.

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard i am retired an yes i may make some smaller boats but there wont be the intrest for me to make them all work like i have on TIGER an the ones in the above list an yes im tryin to make this the best ship ive ever built but there is a limit to what one can do isnt there
chris

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
I keep going back over what you have achieved. Amazing dedication and skills. As John said earlier it is scratch building, research, electronics and real patience.
It is up there with the best builds I've seen. Shame it will be your last but the years roll on. I'm having to consider giving up lion taming and nude bungee jumping due to advancing years :smiling5: ;) :rolling: :smiling:
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
I keep going back over what you have achieved. Amazing dedication and skills. As John said earlier it is scratch building, research, electronics and real patience.
It is up there with the best builds I've seen. Shame it will be your last but the years roll on. I'm having to consider giving up lion taming and nude bungee jumping due to advancing years :smiling5:;):rolling::smiling2:
Jim
HI AGAIN Jim yes the yrs are now not bein kind are they an what with you have been doin lol :rolling: ;):smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
chris