boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'm sure you'll get that nailed together no problems.
HAHA Ian wish i could just nail it together but bein p/e very fragile but im working on it an ive found out that there were two vershion of this 965 radar an guess what mine is different to the one in the first pics an cammet have gave me the one with the tie bars goin accross the top an it was very floppy an not very sturdy so ive had to fit the mesh right accross the top then fit the tie bars which the other vershion hasnt got if ive got it right as the instuctions are cr*p an they have even give me parts that are not shown on the desturckions so its all guess work so far an they dint even give me a clear pic of the fininshed item very poor that is so onwards an up
an cheers for havin a look in
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well its update time again an this time on the dreaded P/E 965 RADAR an boy was it hard to build had to work slow an its took a week to build an as ive said in earlyier comments there are two different radars vershions of the 965 01 an 02 from what i can see in the instruckions an they are not very good an even give me parts that are not shown in the instrucions so a bit of guess work underway here now the build start an here in this pic ive had to start in the centre of the radar to make sure the mountings are true an upright ( here we go praying to the gods as gern would say )IMG_6098.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN before i started this build i covered the base with shiny selotape so it would not stick down an should be easy to remove the front base after gluein an then taped this front part of the P/E down so it cant move about an now the other side to glue to the collets with their allen screws in to fix it to the main motor sharft an a sqare to check they are upright IMG_6099.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN that done im off fittin in the panels for want of a better wordIMG_6100.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
lookin at the back veiw shot an ive painted humbrol maskol into the allen screws holes so they wont fill up with paint
sIMG_6102.JPG

• Wow

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL thats all the 16 panels fitted to the radar face plate NOW for the really tricky part of getting the panels all lined up at their proper angles so i can glue on the back plate an well i shed some nerves here as it was still very fragile an the slightest knock could throw every thing out of alinement IMG_6103.JPG

• Love

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL it went on ok takeing it gently an my nerves hanging by a shred lol but now was the time to remove the radar face plate from the outer echt .BUT it would not move boy this certainly started the ole ticker goin into overdrive lol so a little think an ok its somehow stuck down on the shiny selotape so out comes a stanley knife blade to gently push under the radar faceplate to relese it an after more nerve shredding moments it came free ( wahooooooo) boy was i releived but i was dissappionted at how floppy it was an not a sturdy structure an i have laid a ruler near it so you guys an gals can see how big it is nr 4 an a half inches accross IMG_6106.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL as this was a different radar to the one at the start pic as this one has tie downs bars goin accross top an bottom but bein P/E they had no strenght to keep the structure up to the correct shape so i had to add more wire mesh goin right accross the top an bottom of said unit an then came the struckual strenght thank goodness as remember the radar in the first pic was on a static display model in a glass case an only half the size in 1/96 scale as my one is 1/72 scale an my one will have to stand up to vibrations of bein carted around in the car an vibrations from the motor an revolving round countless times when the model is at a show or sailing so here in the next few pics it is as far as im concerned finished an mounted on it main shaft on the main mast (PHEW)IMG_6109.JPG

• Love

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN THE REAL RADAR photoOIP.jpg for disscushion purposes only an im not a 100 per cent happy with my build but best i could do
chris

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris

That looks really very nice. And strong enough to rotate and transport, it will look outstanding on the water.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just caught up with this Chris. Great stuff on the etch....not the easiest of builds but you’ve sorted it no problem!