boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI All well I fineally made a start on the HMS TIGER C20 build usein a bit of moddellers licence as it was nice warm wheather as its bein built in the garage an its gonna be a long build I reckon as my USS NIMITZ CVN68 build was 7 yrs .So don't please exspect a quick build lol an at the moment im havin a bit of trouble sourcein material's as model shops keep closein down nr me .Anyway some

facts about the model length will be approx. 94" an beam 10" approx. as I had all 6 plan sheets blown up to 1/72 so there will be some differents like a couple of mm out here an there so I got to split the differecent when building an working features will hopefully be

rudder, an throttle control , workin stabileizer;s , nav lights, up to 4 working radar;s, turning gun turret's by r/c , bridge lights , anti collishion light , steamin lights, landin lights on flight deck, hanger lights , workin white flood light;s to illuminate flight deck , working seaking helo , an proberly ship wide white flood lighting for shows an cant think of nothin eles at the moment. Gawrd must be out of my mind anyway some pics of the real ship to start off with before build pics
chrisTiger-class.jpg

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Here the hull frames are cut down to all the same height as the hull keel has got to be screwed down to a build board to stop the hull from bein built twisted or a banna hull when the hull is built it will be about 5mm higher in the centre than the ends .As the hull will be built like a supenshion bridge high in the centre but lower at the ends so that when ship is built an fitted with heavy BATTS an carried to the pond if the hull bends due to wheight it will still be straight as that how I did my Nimitz build an it worked out great an the tops will be added later in the build IMG_3905.JPG

M

madrob

Brilliant Chris, ill get my comfy armchair and get comfy, might have to make it a quicker build than seven year though.... i might not have seven year left :cool:

• Love
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Brilliant Chris, ill get my comfy armchair and get comfy, might have to make it a quicker build than seven year though.... i might not have seven year left :cool:
HI Rob i'll try an make it less than 7yrs how about 6 an 3/4 LOL:smiling3: an yes you'll need a comfy armchair so sit back an enjoy the build ive got a few build pic's to put on but im holdin a few back to put on another day cant spoil you can I:smiling: . Cant do any more on her for a while until it gets warmer wheather as Its bloomin frezzin in the garage but when warmer i'll get stuck in again as I done more on her than I thought I would anyway some more pic's here in this pic im tryin to work out where the h/j or hull joint comes as its very important that I get it right or the ship wont fit in my car IMG_3959.JPG

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Chris

Its going to be a biggy, count me in. Far, far beyound my skills. Got to admire it!

Do you have a massive bath or lake lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Here ive traced onto the marine ply the outline of the complecaited keel stern transom an this is goin to be very difficult to build as the 1mm ply wood that forms the hull skin will have to bend two ways at once.I Might have to steam the wood to get it to comply to the the hull frames IMG_3960.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris

Its going to be a biggy, count me in. Far, far beyound my skills. Got to admire it!

Do you have a massive bath or lake lol
Hi Bob many thanks for prasie yea she is gonna be a fair size but its smaller than my Nimitz she was about 7 " longer so all bein well i'll be able to build her.But like any model build there will be problems just got to solve them as they crop up an yea she will be tested in my test tank at about 9ft long by 15 " wide its a metal cattle trough an then she will sail in Norwich pond all concrete sided only 600ft long an 60ft wide or Sheringham concrete pond but a bit smaller about 200ft long an 40ft wide so pond to sail in no prolem
chris

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Chris. I assume that virtually everything has to be scratched?

When i read HMS Tiger i thought it was the battlecrusier!!

Very best of luck and will follow with much admiration!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris,

Good luck with this, it looks far to complicated to me.
Hello Scottie thanks for the wishes of good luck an yes its it is complicated build but Nimitz build was far harder due to all the curves in a aircraft carriers hull if you have a little time some time to spare look at the super carrier hulls an you'll see what I mean
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris. I assume that virtually everything has to be scratched?

When i read HMS Tiger i thought it was the battlecrusier!!

Very best of luck and will follow with much admiration!
Yea you are right Bob the whole ship will be scartchbuilt that's why it will take a while to build if I can do it that is. So far ive built 3 scratchbuilt hulls 2 in 1/64 scale type 42 HMS YORK an HMS EDINBOURGH an the real biggun NIMITZ in 1/144 scale an an yes TIGER was a battle cruiser but they converted her to a helicopter carrier to carry 4 seakings an thanks for the good whishes I think i'll need them
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Here in this pic you can get a little idea of the keel length of the model an ive just drawin in the keel spars an wrote on the hull frames numbers an where they will fit on the keel when I have cut them out then it wil be a job I will hate but got to be done an that's SANDIN uuuurrrggg :crying: more pics tomorrow IMG_3961.JPG

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I have got a comfy chair to enjoy this build with admiration. If it ends up half as good a Nimitz it will be a real cracker.

Good luck.

Peter

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I have got a comfy chair to enjoy this build with admiration. If it ends up half as good a Nimitz it will be a real cracker.

Good luck.

Peter
Thanks Peter an yes pull up a comfy an yes if its as good a quality as Nimitz i'll be overjoyed

And theres me moaning about Dragon plans!
YES Bob the plans are rather big aint they but the main plan is mindblowin when I first see it I will put it out to the full size an try an photo it if I can get it all in the camera viewer soon
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI All a few more pics of the build
a shot of the traced out bow taken from the plans an later on there will be a slot cut in the first hull frame mark for the frame itself to slot into an its about 6" long to give the bow strength in case it hits the pond concrete wall IMG_3962.JPG