boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

M

madrob

Think i might have to have another trip to the flatlands to see you lot down there, its been a while, love watching your builds progess Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Think i might have to have another trip to the flatlands to see you lot down there, its been a while, love watching your builds progess Chris
HI Rob be nice to see you an glad you likeing the build hopefully tiger should have a lot more done if you come down

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Chris

I often wondered how peo[le managed their large ships. Splitting the hull into 2 watertight hulls is a simple but effective solution. "Simple" so says one who doesn't have to do it!!

Peter

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

I often wondered how peo[le managed their large ships. Splitting the hull into 2 watertight hulls is a simple but effective solution. "Simple" so says one who doesn't have to do it!!

Peter
HI Peter it is fairly simple once you've done a few but things can still go wrong unless you keep a eye on what is bein done as its very easy to make a mistake an mess up all the work that's been done as the hull joint is critical to get it right or things wont meet up I have been busy building the hull joint over last few days an its comin on but thanks for your intrest an im watchin your landin craft thread
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI all a few more pics on what's happening on her I have nearly done the crictical hull joint here in the pic you see a bit of plasti card covered in Sellotape an this to stop it gluein in side the hull joint. As this is a spacer so when the hull is built I can remove the bolts an hopefully remove the platicard an it should leave a gap so I can get a hacksaw blade in to cut the hull in half IMG_3984.JPG

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Chris,
This is an interesting build finding out how you deal with the issues that are presented building a big ship.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Glad you enjoyin the build pics Scottie some more now comin on

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nxt pic is I have drilled out the holes for the brass sleves one laid out to be seen then to fit into the H/J an :cold-sweat: I will fit all eight of them into the H/J an here are the bolts as wellIMG_3985.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An a shot of the rear side facin the stern with all the butterfly nuts on an now its got to stay like this till its all built into the hull tomorrow hopefully I will sand down the H/J rough edges an get them so they are true then I can cut out the keel slots an the qaudron slots IMG_3988.JPG an then onto the keel on the build board.Then it will really start to take shape

Reactions: JR

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
I did wonder how you built your boats in two pieces , now I know . very clever Chris.:thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I did wonder how you built your boats in two pieces , now I know . very clever Chris.:thumb2:
THANK you sue yes we all have our ways an means just got to hope it all works out as there is so much that can go wrong an I hope you get on ok in the figure G/B I'll be lookin out for your pics
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI guys time for an update on whats happening on the build
well the H/J is comin on here its loosely fitted into the keel to see if it looks right an it does an the keel sits half an inch higher in case the ship should need a keel wheight fitteIMG_4044.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
H/J taken out of the keel for now as had to cut in the quadron slots these are 8ft long strips which will be fitted in to the hull frames to give the model strength IMG_4048.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nxt job on the build is trace all the hull frames on to the wood an then cut them all out so no more updates for a while
chris

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Well it sure is huge Christopher, nice work so far :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven