boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Your better half must be really understanding to have something that big around the house lol

Coming along nicely Chris
HI AL yes jen knows how much it means to me as im retired an I don't like gardening so got to do some mini engineering on this ship an at times she helps me on it so I don't vegetate as id go crazy just sittin around an she don't mind me doin this as long as I clear up after Ive finished for the day

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HERE if you look closely ive cut out two slots for the prop sharfts at the stern end but just done two in case they are not in the correct position if they are then i'll cut out the other side :cold-sweat:an it seems to me its goin to be a devil of a job to fit in all 4 sharfts an get them right but im enjoyin the challenge IMG_4714.JPG

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You could always build dry dock in the garden! Really admire the hard work Chris

How many ships have you built???

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
ANYWAY here in this pic ive fitted two starboard side prop sharfts in loosely to see if I have got the length of the sharft's right an they must not be angled down but they must be faceing straight backwards if not it wont sail correctlyIMG_4716.JPG

D

Deleted member 3568

Blimey that's a fair amount of expenditure and a lot of work(mighty fine work I might add)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You could always build dry dock in the garden! Really admire the hard work Chris

How many ships have you built???
HI again Bob I have a wet dock in the garden its a 9ft long cattle trough where I do all the balance testing a testing for leaks in the hull an tiger will be in it in about 2yrs time an how many ships have I built well
no 1. was hms amazon in 1/64 scale
no. 2 was hms York in the same scale an boy were they big
no. 3 was hms campbeltown type 22 frigate in 1/72 scale but still over 7ft long
no. 4 was another big 1/64 scale type 42 stretched again over 7ft long hms Edinburgh which my mate has now an he sails her at times
no . 5 was uss nimitz that big aircraft carrier 7yr build at nr 9 ft long
no . 6 was hms kellington in 1/96 scale an its was the smallest i ever built an that was about 2ft long as i had a lady freind of the wife asked me if i would build it for her an it was a kit an it took about 3months as she was flabbergasted that it was built in that time but there was not much too it i was on it as much as my bad back would allow me as i could when I came home from work as i wanted to start my nxt build
no 7. was hms Norfolk in 1/72 which I have now an im still sailin her
no. 8 is tiger which you are lookin at now (phew im pooped)

• Wow
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Blimey that's a fair amount of expenditure and a lot of work(mighty fine work I might add)
MANY THANKS Ken well I did say this is a very exspensive hobby now an its getting harder to buy the bits as model shops keep closein down but thankfully I have a very good one at Norwich to get my bits thank you for your intrest

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You have been busy!!!!!! Thats.one hell of a build history Chris and fantastic dedication to the art.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Anyway on with the build pics I thought this was goin to be a small update but blimey im wrong on that an a angle shot of sharfts in the hull an the whole rear section IMG_4717.JPGcan be seen as well the rear bigle keels

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You have been busy!!!!!! Thats.one hell of a build history Chris and fantastic dedication to the art.
WELL Bob when I was younger I used to do r/c aircraft for a while with my brother as he is a pilot in real life nothin big used to fly real gliders an then he when up to the tiger moth but as he said its got to exspensive to do it now mind you he took up one last yr an flew down south an when he got back to duxford they wont let him land as some other plane was havin a problem so they told him to buzz off back down south so he had twice the flyin time luck devil but back to me yes I used to fly planes but kept comin home with kindiling haha crashed a lot I did so I thought got to do something slower hence the ships modelling an loved every mimiute of it

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
PHEW last pic tonight an that's a shot of the motors on one side to see if they will fit in ok between the hull frames an I think ive got things covered an it looks like it will all work out as building these ships at times is pot luck as each section must be thought out before I begin anything in practickle will show pic another day as this bloomin pc has not uploaded the pic from my camera

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris, sorry it was ply.( Just went to do a space and it changed it to play again)
JEWSONS, yes delt with them for years. That was a nice sheet you had, mind the price you pay for Marine ply it needs to be good quality.
So expensive goodies on display very technical looking as well.
Enjoying the blog, nice to see something so different.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, sorry it was ply.( Just went to do a space and it changed it to play again)
JEWSONS, yes delt with them for years. That was a nice sheet you had, mind the price you pay for Marine ply it needs to be good quality.
So expensive goodies on display very technical looking as well.
Enjoying the blog, nice to see something so different.
HI John yes I always think when im goin to build one of these ships its got to be made from good quality wood so it costs a bit but that's what makes them worth it an they will last yrs of standin an sailin as my mate has still got my hms Edinburgh type 42 strected destroyer at 7ft 3" long an he's very pleased with it.An yes got some exspensive goodies for tiger but they will all be needed if this ship is ever goin to sail an with the workin features how I want it to. An there is still more to come just got to hope I can fit it all in but I think it should do as this tiger hull is only a bit smaller than my Nimitz aircraft carrier an all the electronics an gadgets went in her ok so im lookin forward to the challenges of this build. To be quite honest I think I like building them more than I do sailin them but I must admit its humbling an makes me feel proud to think well I built that from my very own hands an then to see it sail ok for the first time
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Now fittin as another test to see if they look right an they do an that the rudder stabilizer's as when fitted propberly the rudders will be cut off to the correct length an the made into the correct shape of the stabilizer's at the moment two test ones IMG_4739.JPG