boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Chris,
Do you have to work out the weight of all the cabling as even though its thinnish wire there is a lot of it, to ensure your water line is correct?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I've found the shells of the "D" connectors mate very easily, have excellent tension & usually have screws to assure connection security. I thought you needed to save weight so went modular. PaulE
AN hi PaulE yes im now goin down that route of fittin D sub connecters now as yes I think ive shot meself in the foot by tryin to be to ambitious by fittin modular connectors to save wheight an yes they were very light but not very strong as the 02 deck where I fitted them in has to be lifted on an off a fair amount so tryin to do it one of the tiny pins bent out of alignment an when I treid to load the 02 deck back on 01 deck it bent an the whole 02 deck would not fit so I had a look at it an see which pin was bent an as soon as I treid to straighted it it snapped off so I now cancelled that idea an now goin with the D CONNECTERS but now im reworkin all the fittments tomorrow aaaaaaaggghhh
an then I gotta solder on another 30 wires but im enjoyin it as two steps forward an one back aint to bad is it
chris
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris,
Do you have to work out the weight of all the cabling as even though its thinnish wire there is a lot of it, to ensure your water line is correct?
HI Scottie nice to see you an im pretty sure the wheight of the cabling will not even notice as there is loads more that has yet to be fitted an how big this hull is its goin to take quite a lot of wheight to get her down to her W/L AS REMEMBER a SHIP FLOATS BY THE WHEIGHT OF THE WATER IT DEPLACES an I wont be liftin it on my own there is always people who cant wait to get their hands on it when im at the pond so I don't think the wirein wheght will matter it dint in my Nimitz an there was more wirein in her
all best to you an thanks for lookin in
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cracking work Chris, all that wiring !!
YEA Bob loads an loads of it still to come an yes I love doin the wirein as its a bit like a surgen an fittin in her all her nerves an blood vessels to bring her to life just as well ive just bought that new helpin hands I think im gonna need it thanks for droppin in
chris

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Impressive as always.

i've seen a range of R/C boats and thought them impressive - especially the larger ones. i always assumed there was a lot of work in building them, but never really appreciated just how much goes into building one. this blog is a real revelation. Loving it!!

petet

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris. Very impressive work and multi tasking
Cheers Lee for your nice comment an multi taskin well in this game of building large workin models you have to think ahead of what where an when an I got that wrong this time on them modular connetors lol as they were light but not strong enough as a pickup pin broke on me so had to scrap them an im now usein D sub connectors in their place an im now goin up to the man cave to put things to rights hopefully as on this ship it all hit or a miss but thanks for lookin in
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Impressive as always.

i've seen a range of R/C boats and thought them impressive - especially the larger ones. i always assumed there was a lot of work in building them, but never really appreciated just how much goes into building one. this blog is a real revelation. Loving it!!

petet
HI Peter glad you like the build an yes there is a heck of a lot to do in building one of these ships from scratch as there is no instruckions to tell you what to do next so its getting the ole grey matter tickin over an tryin to think ahead of what where an when like I said to Lee in the above blog an like I have just done ive come unstuck on them bloomin modular connecters as they let me down so they have been scrapped an a new idea in place with D sub connectors as they are a lot stronger but heavyier but this time as ive got to watch the wheight of things I fit in there will be only 15 wires plugs goin up to 02 deck an 10 wires will stay in 01 deck so an im now goin to fit these in a little while while when ive finished this blog an had a cuppa to oil up the ole brain cells lol ;) :smiling:
thanks for lookin in Peter
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS
YES you've guessed it another small update on her an to make life easyier I have bought myself A DELUX HELPIN HANDS WITH A BUILT IN LIGHTS for all the soldering an wirein ive yet to do IMG_5007.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN now on with the build well I was very disappointed after all the work I did on them modular connectors as I used them for lightness but as well as bein light they were also weak as when I was liftin 02 deck on an off 01 deck one of the little electric pins broke off so I thought if one will break more are sure to break ( so I took it all to bits just as well I made it like this) an took the mod plugs out male an female an shut my eyes an with the wire cutters snipped them both off.Then I had a rethink an fitted the heavyier but stronger D SUB CONNECTERS so a lot more solderin but im enjoyin it anyway pic below of the said item fitted IMG_5013.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN a underside shot of the new wirein layout IMG_5019.JPGan more electric plugs fitted as I can say that this wirein is nr finished apart from where the wires will go to work what ever on 01 deck

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL now what with most of the wirein out of the way ive resumed building the bridge S/S an boy is it big don't look much but there ia a heck of a lot of work gone into it so far an a lot more to come IMG_5016.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an its lookin a little boxy but that's how the real ship was but it will start to look more intresting when I start on all the fine details later but for now ive got to start thinkin how to build the two bridges an make them removeable IMG_5018.JPG

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Never cease to be amazed about this build Chris, fantastic does not do it!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Now ive got to build this an boy is it gonna be hard as there are so many angels an lookin at all the views of the plans eg. side view 'front view 'an top view an make removeable bridges but to be sure I start off right i'll have to swot up on it an get it in my head how this is gonna happen IMG_4870.JPG