boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, your carrier, what an awesome model - wow - it puts another meaning on what we know as 'kitchen table' builds.

Tony
YEA Tony just as well i lived in a big manor house with a big kitchen an plenty of space an jen dint mind me building nimtz in the kitchen just as long as i cleaned an hovered up after each build session but i really enjoyed this build even though it took 7 yrs
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Any news of the unit Chris ?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Any news of the unit Chris ?
HI John by the unit do you mean all this R/C an BEC ESC an FAIL SAFE an MOTORS stuff ? an if yes then no no news yet as im :thinking: toooooooooooo scared lol :rolling::nerd::smiling::smiling::smiling: to have a go myself so im chickening out in case it all goes up in smoke as there is a lot of money's worth there

so ive got a freind richard comin over this afternoon to help me as he knows about this BEC thing an hopefully this R/C as it a computer R/C an might have to be set up to BIND with the R/X an BEC ESC 's also will have to be set up an the FAILSAFE'S on both ESC will also have to be set up to the R/C as if they are not set up to the R/C then the system wont work

BOY HAVE I GOT MYSELF IN THE DEEP DODO :poop: an its all because this flamein R/C has to have a BEC SYSTEM to power the R/X an this system i have never used before so all new to me if it was a 40 meg system there would have been no problems BUT that how the R/C MANUFACTURES make them now bloomin complicaited as lets face it i understand the basic's its just not bein SURE that for me is the trouble BUT IF YOU HEAR A BIG BANG out norfolk way about 1400 hrs you will know i'll be sitting at my bench all beraddelled an with a black burned face lol :crying::crying::crying::rolling::smiling::smiling::smiling:
SO :thinking:WILL YOU ALL KEEP YOUR FINGERS AN LEGS AN TOES CROSSED FOR ME TODAY LOL :rolling::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
A :cold-sweat::cold-sweat::cold-sweat: Chris

• Wow
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris

Yet again more amazing work that to my shame I don't understand......:sad-face::flushed:

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

Yet again more amazing work that to my shame I don't understand......:sad-face::flushed:

ATB

Andrew
HI Andrew there is no shame in not understanding this system as its complicatiated an im not to clever at it myself hence richard comin over to have a look an hopefully we will get it all goin but with a system like this can anybody be 100% sure ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I will have my fingers crossed for you at 2pm Chris :thumb2:
HI Neil many thanks for he crossed fingers an today when my mate richard came we got stuck into it an after a few heart stoppin moments things dint work but this was due to bad connections as my mate just wrapped wires around one onother an i said let me solder the wires an he said ok as this was just a jury rigged wireing layout an a test but then when we switched it all on every thing worked lovely
includeing the bow thruster ESC so to sum it all up a big sucsess an no blown fuse or shorts so for tonight im leavin it all as shattered but to morrow i will get up to the man cave an strip all the wires apart but at the same time draw up a wireing diagram for when i do come to fit them all in the ship an richard had a brilliant idea of useing one of the 14 channels to just hit a switch an cut out two motors an see if she runs ok if she does then i will double my sailing time but at the moment this is just a theory so its all :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: UP
Chris

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Congrats on a big success........I know you were sweating this a bit but looks like all the hard work and blue air paid off.
Tomorrow is another day. Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Congrats on a big success........I know you were sweating this a bit but looks like all the hard work and blue air paid off.
Tomorrow is another day. Rick H.
HI Rick cheers for the congrats but all i did was all the donkey work of makeing up all the wireing harness's for the units but the congrats really should go to my mate Richard as he worked out how to program the R/C binding to the R/X as it was not bound but he did it an also to program the 2 main ESC's for the 4 X motors an also to get the small ESC goin to power the bow thruster.

An i think i'll try to work out how to get Rich's idea working of havin to just hit a switch on the R/C an it will cut out the back 2 motors an just run the ship on just 2 front motors an that will give me double sailing time an if the wind gets up an the ship cant make head way then i just toggle the switch an bring the 2 back motors into play for all ahead flank speed

as that a very good idea he had but it means scrapping all my hard made wireing harness an makin up new ones.
But cant do that till im actually ready to fit it all into the hull as ive at the moment no idea how long all the wireing harness will need to be an also today i will have to draw out a wireing diagram of it all

so that when i do come to fit it all in i will just follow it an all should be ok so great stuff as thats one big worry out of the way an now the next hurdle is just paint sprayin the hull but the wheather is to cold but im thinking of doin the hull spraying in my wooden shed where its faily warm inside but will have a pratice first on a spare bit plasticard to see how the paint forms up an if ok then thats what i will do
chris

Last edited:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Chris, I've just caught up again. Some fantastic work and I'm so glad for you that the system works. I bet that's an heavy weight off your shoulders.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, I've just caught up again. Some fantastic work and I'm so glad for you that the system works. I bet that's an heavy weight off your shoulders.
HI Ian nice to see you on this thread an YES it is as ive had that R/C for about 3months an the three ESC 's for two months an i just needed my mate richard to come over to give me his exspertise know how to program these units i might have been able to do this myself but i must admit i just dint have the confidence in myself to do it as there is about £300 quid's worth in these units an i dint want to damage anything just by not waiting a few days till richard could fit me in as he has been busy himself but now every thing is hunky dory AN all ready to go an i have dremt up how to make two of the motors switch of by R/C an then switch back on again whilst having the other two motors running an this is simple idea from me but first must try it before i strip everything down an thanks for having a look see chris

First Name
Tony
Hi Chris, really pleased all was sorted with the electrics and electronics. Watching the future progress with interest.

As we previously discussed, I'm still a lover of the old 40mhz system, solid reliable robust and we have been forced down the route of this 2.4ghz which works ok, just not the same.

Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, really pleased all was sorted with the electrics and electronics. Watching the future progress with interest.

As we previously discussed, I'm still a lover of the old 40mhz system, solid reliable robust and we have been forced down the route of this 2.4ghz which works ok, just not the same.

Tony
HI Tony yea eletric's all now sorted an i went up to my model room an tried out my idea of how i can make it for 2 motors can be turned off by R/C an still have two motors running as on the ESC there is a simple on off switch for the ESC all ive got do is cut off this switch an solder on a knock on switch in place an then fit a servo fitted with an arm that when i flick the step switch

on the R/C the servo will hit the the knock on switch an cut the power to that ESC an that will stop the motors an then flick the switck on the R/C to realese the SERVO off the spring loaded knock on switch an the ESC will then regain power an so the motors will work again

BUT i must be carefull to fit the knock on to the ESC with the main power wire diababled SIMPLE dont know why i dint think of it when richard was talkin about it yesterday but better late than never eh an yea 40 meg was a lot easyier to under stand an yes i liked it better but if some elese comes on your freqency then you are in trouble but with this 2.4 gig it wont happen as if it picks up the same signal from another R/C then my R/C just jumps to another freqency so no worries about that an also in this 2,4 gig favor is that on my motors i wont need any suppresor across the motor terminals
great eh SIMPLE
chris

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Wow that's a great relief!
This is awesome stuff, Chris, I couldn't even begin to contemplate anything like it.
Much respect, sir!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great news Chris....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wow that's a great relief!
This is awesome stuff, Chris, I couldn't even begin to contemplate anything like it.
Much respect, sir!
HI Neil thanks this eletronics is awesome stuff if you dont know what you are doing like i was a couple of days ago i was shivering in me boots at the thought of wirein all this up i knew the basics but on how to do the set up programin well that got me but thankfully my mate richard did
an thanks for lookin in
chris