boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony glad you like the bridge build an yes its comin on an over the last two days ive built both the plessey type 903 gunnery controll systems in purple on the the ship pic below an yes i will be pleased when i can get around to building the gun turrets but im afraid still a lot of other things to be built first as some time nxt wk i hope to start to build the front funnel an fit in it the tube for the smoke to come out but first got to buy another smoke unit an then the rear oneView attachment 404673
Hi Chris, wow with the heavy detail of your ships bridge , two two gun build be just impressive, much easier going with a plan with the same scale is of, I had to make up my own plan drawing from smaller plan , not easy., Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, wow with the heavy detail of your ships bridge , two two gun build be just impressive, much easier going with a plan with the same scale is of, I had to make up my own plan drawing from smaller plan , not easy., Tony
HI Tony yea i aggree it is difficult building with out plans as im finding out on my plans on some things there is just an outline of whatever its suppose to be an reseach is difficult as there is not much on the web about HMS TIGER so i'll have to wing it on some things as there is so much to build an fit on as i found out today i did some foward planning an found out the rear batt that i wanted is too big to fit in the hull as i made up a cardboard mock up of said batt but it will fit in the front section so its gonna be both batts are goin to have to be back to front to exsplain on that the big motors batt will have to fit in the front section an the front batt will have to be fitted in the rear section OH BOY WHAT A BOO BOO
CHRIS

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony yea i aggree it is difficult building with out plans as im finding out on my plans on some things there is just an outline of whatever its suppose to be an reseach is difficult as there is not much on the web about HMS TIGER so i'll have to wing it on some things as there is so much to build an fit on as i found out today i did some foward planning an found out the rear batt that i wanted is too big to fit in the hull as i made up a cardboard mock up of said batt but it will fit in the front section so its gonna be both batts are goin to have to be back to front to exsplain on that the big motors batt will have to fit in the front section an the front batt will have to be fitted in the rear section OH BOY WHAT A BOO BOO
CHRIS
Hi Chris, you are spot on, to make it even harder no drawing on the starboard side, have to o by pics and the same with no front plan view on my ship got the front windows in the wrong place, may shift the them to get it right. What is the Batt is it the gun turrets, good ides to do a mock up first to see how the guns fit . last cool day today plan to after brekkie go down to the shed and work on the modules, need to join two up so changed track will meet up on the station module. No progress on Corona Sea, watching Star Gate tonight early 6pm should be able to finish watching season 6 season 7 Daniel comes back. Tony

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Bridgework well done Christopher. :thumb2:
I don't envy you as the larger the scale, more detail needs to be addressed. But I can understand the overkill part like on the Oxford I'd like to add every bib and bob but there's a limit. :smiling3:
Looking to see the funnels and how you add the smoke. Turrets are the next I'm interested on whether you'll be making them operable.
Happy building.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bridgework well done Christopher. :thumb2:
I don't envy you as the larger the scale, more detail needs to be addressed. But I can understand the overkill part like on the Oxford I'd like to add every bib and bob but there's a limit. :smiling3:
Looking to see the funnels and how you add the smoke. Turrets are the next I'm interested on whether you'll be making them operable.
Happy building.

Cheers,
Richard
HELLO Richard bridge is not done yet as a lot more got to be fitted on as you say largerer it is the more detail to fit an yes still a lot to go on an yes i'll soon be building the rear funnell first as this will be a dummy unless i can make the smoke unit which i have now got today make it so a pipe jions up at the hull jiont an a small fan blows the smoke through a tube to to the back funnel but i will see on that on how festiable it is but at the moment im building all the back S/S an im not gonna take any pics of all this work untill i think its worth showin
an the smoke unit below an ive got to work out how im gonna fit this in but so the main S/S can be lifted off to fit the main drive batt
IMG_5814.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
(Richard quote)
Happy building

WELL Richard we will see on the operal turrets but im hoping to make them turn an the guns to elevate an maybe when they at full angel there maybe bright yellow led's fitted in the gun barrells that will flash like its fireing but again will see on that
chris

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Will be nice to see the ship smoking Chris! The unit looks interesting, a 3d printed case it seems :thumb2: Have fun

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Will be nice to see the ship smoking Chris! The unit looks interesting, a 3d printed case it seems :thumb2: Have fun
HI Steven yea i will have fun when i can work out how this unit will all be fitted in as the smoke unit will be fitted in the hull in front of the main batt but the funnel smoke tube must be made to lift off the hull so i can take the main batt out an then its got to fit exsacly again on said unit when i replace the main S/S AN IT WILL BE ALL HID UP SO ITS GOIN TO BE A RPINTA TO GET RIGHT
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Christopher, how about a flexible tube or hose channeled to the funnel. Smoke will travel anywhere where there's an outlet.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Christopher, how about a flexible tube or hose channeled to the funnel. Smoke will travel anywhere where there's an outlet.

Cheers,
Richard

HI Richard yea good idea an ive already done this on my HMS NORFOLK build pics belows sorry pics are not great but below can be seen the smoke unit itself fitted in my HMS NORFOLK hull
IMG_4368.JPG

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN the next pic can be seen the flexible tube that feeds the smoke or water mist to the funnel ( :thinking: an better be carefull of sayin smoke as it may get J/R excited an polly :rolling:;):smiling::smiling::smiling:) an again sorry pic is not good but you can see what i mean IMG_4377.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN now in this pic you can see that the smoke:rolling::smiling2: NO water mist tube must line up dead right with the funnel tubes an on this i used a cardboard mock up to get it right.

But on tiger as its so much bigger ive also got to cut a fair sized hole in 01 Deck under 02 deck where the front funnel is mounted so i can get the tubeing to line up with the smoke unit tube hole an this is goin to be difficult to do as with fore thought i really should have built it all in at the start of buliding 01 deck super struckure but i dint

so now ive got to pay for it but i'll take my time an think it through an hopefully it should come all into place as remember this S/S with the funnel mounting must all lift off the actual smoke unit itself an this is the hard bit to get right an plus ive got to get the right size bendable tubeing an at the moment ive no idea where i can buy a bit as this bit in the pic was given to me by a freind. So ideas ANYBODY where i can get a bit ?
Chris IMG_4378.JPG

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting problem Chris, but I’m sure you will crack it. For hoses, look through somewhere like this...
once you know what you want, google it for best price....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Interesting problem Chris, but I’m sure you will crack it. For hoses, look through somewhere like this...
once you know what you want, google it for best price....
OH G/M Tim mate you are on the ball this morn just had a quick look an it got just what i want many thanks on finding this that quick i'll have a cuppa first then ive got to answer a few letters then i'll have a proper look an order a metre lenght if possible cheers thats your good turn done for the day lol
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well ive been asked to show my new toy a smoke unit to fit in my tiger IMG_5817.JPGgoin an exsplain how it works SO HERE GOES lol an first up pic is the emtpty tank fitted with the nebulizer i think they are called

• Wow
Reactions: JR